Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 1959 Ch. Tristan

Hosting a party for Betsy next week, but on her actual birthday we just had dinner at Harpers on Main. We shared mushroom toast with egg, chicory/little gem salad, duck breast with turnips and sweet potatoes, bavette with bearnaise sauce. I had dropped off bottle of 1959 Ch.Tristan (Pomerol) earlier. I had low expectations for this 3rd tier- who am I fooling, nth tier- Pomerol. Decanted and served,it actually was a decent aged claret. Redder fruit (raspberry and cherry), a little cocoa, herbs. Alive but with a little ashtray beginning to show. Moderate acids, no tannin noticeable, modest length. A B- overall, but I was happy with it as a celebratory wine.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/5/19 4:21 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Hosting a party for Betsy next week, but on her actual birthday we just had dinner at Harpers on Main. We shared mushroom toast with egg, chicory/little gem salad, duck breast with turnips and sweet potatoes, bavette with bearnaise sauce. I had dropped off bottle of 1959 Ch.Tristan (Pomerol) earlier. Was using the 59 specific. You're a brave man keeping a half bottle 60 years old. Never had one make it that long.

I had low expectations for this 3rd tier- who am I fooling, nth tier-
Pomerol. Decanted and served,it actually was a decent aged claret.
Redder fruit (raspberry and cherry), a little cocoa, herbs. Alive but
with a little ashtray beginning to show. Moderate acids, no tannin
noticeable, modest length. A B- overall, but I was happy with it as a
celebratory wine.

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/5/19 6:21 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Hosting a party for Betsy next week, but on her actual birthday we just had dinner at Harpers on Main. We shared mushroom toast with egg, chicory/little gem salad, duck breast with turnips and sweet potatoes, bavette with bearnaise sauce. I had dropped off bottle of 1959 Ch.Tristan (Pomerol) earlier. I had low expectations for this 3rd tier- who am I fooling, nth tier- Pomerol. Decanted and served,it actually was a decent aged claret. Redder fruit (raspberry and cherry), a little cocoa, herbs. Alive but with a little ashtray beginning to show. Moderate acids, no tannin noticeable, modest length. A B- overall, but I was happy with it as a celebratory wine.

Wow, never heard of this property. I guess that's the effect of a
legendary vintage like that: a rising tide lifts all boats. As a fellow
'59er, I'm more than a bit jelly

Mark Lipton

Tobacco farming in 1959 gregz General Cooking 2 21-05-2012 04:53 PM
TN Chateau Margaux 1959 cwdjrxyz Wine 9 30-12-2008 09:28 PM
TN Moulin Touchais 1959 cwdjrxyz Wine 2 29-12-2008 03:33 PM
Recipe Redux 1959 Jude General Cooking 2 10-01-2007 11:16 PM
1959 Chenin etc. Bill Spohn Wine 0 06-11-2004 05:34 PM