Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: 3 Barolo, Monbousquet, Knoll, etc

ith cornish hen with berbere, spinach, sweet potatoes, the 2010 Weingut Knoll Ried Pfaffenberg Steiner Riesling Kabinett. Dry, stony, petrolly, long and in a good place. B+/A-

With pasta with seafood (bay scallops and shrimp), the 2015 Raul Perez Palomino ("Valdecanada). My first varietal Palomino. Floral almost musky, round, more interesting than delicious. B-/C+

I also opened a bottle of the 2001 Ch. Monbousquet. The good news is the extreme/overt toastiness/charred notes have receded, but Im still not a fan- sweet.mocha and cassis, plush, would make an ok Napa Merlot Most was used to braise 2 chuck roasts for next night B-/C+

2013 Silvano Bolmida €śBussia€ť Barolo
The other cooking wine. Pretty tight when cooking Friday , rest of bottle with dinner Saturday was more open, but a pretty boring red-fruited Barolo. B-
With Betsy away I fought loneliness by having guests

With Lonza, pastourma, pate
NV Gatinois Rose Champagne
Quite dry, strawberry with herb and flint, fun B++

scallop/radish crudo (shiso and a ponzu sauce)
2018 Villalin Quincy
Not my fave vintage of this, ripe round fruit, maybe a touch simple and short, but went well with dish. B-

Main was beef in Barolo (partially, actually most of a bottle of Monbousquet and half a bottle of Barolo), brussels sprouts, salad

1971 Barisone Barolo
Lovely rose petal nose, cherry and dried cherry fruit, some tar, good persistance. Decanted couple hours before dinner, holds well throughout night. B+/A-

1996 Gianfranco Alessandria €śSan Giovanni€ť Barolo
Tannins are integrated, acids give some structure, but while it has fruit this seems sweet and anonymous, vanilla on cherry, not super interesting. B-

TN: Knoll, Chevillon, Haut Marbuzet Mark Lipton Wine 1 30-05-2006 04:43 PM
Barolo Richard Neidich Wine 4 15-05-2006 03:48 PM
Cedar Knoll Vineyard 2002 Cab beernuts Wine 1 12-05-2006 03:38 PM
TN: '97 Monbousquet DaleW Wine 8 14-01-2005 01:43 PM
TN: Knoll, Canon de Brem, VF Lasira, Pat. Green Dale Williams Wine 0 22-10-2004 04:03 PM