Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bdx group does LMHB at Bobby Van's

A smaller contingent of our Bordeaux group than usual gathered at Bobby Vans in Midtown East for a dinner with some La Mission Haut Brion Tuesday.

Chartogne-Taillet €śHeurtebise€ť
This is Blanc de Blancs I think? Certainly crisp, bright, and lively. Perfect way to be greeted (thanks Diane). I really enjoyed this. A-/B+

1981 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion
Some thought this tired, I thought fully mature and quiet, but elegant and long. Not supercomplex, but nice if quiet cassis and cigarbox. Holds up well. B+/B

1985 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion
I thought this was lovely, one person thought €śtoo soft€ť but if that is soft Ill take soft all day. Blackcurrant, black plum, tobacco and cedar, long. A-

1986 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion
I thought this has potential, but still a bit hard and austere - others liked more. Cassis, floral notes. B+

1996 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion
Structured and full, needs time, but rich.,B+/A-

1998 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion
Another one in need of time, but rich and balanced, long. A-/B+

1999 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion
Sweet and a bit oaky, not very Bordeaux but I thought would be a good ringer in a lineup of better 90s CalCabs. B+/B

2001 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion
Pretty oaky now, but complex and full, some tannin but good acid balanced, rich dark fruits.
B+/A-

2003 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion
Wow, this is way more 2003 than LMHB. Kirsch and cassis, heady, a little volatile. C+

Group voting
1985 19 points
1986 9 points
1996 9 points