FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Labor Day weekend - Bdx, Cali, Loire, Alsace, etc (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/448063-tn-labor-day-weekend.html)

DaleW[_2_] 03-09-2019 05:50 PM

TN: Labor Day weekend - Bdx, Cali, Loire, Alsace, etc

Thursday I went to a friends birthday party, a nice gathering on their patio on a perfect night, they served mussels, stuffed mushrooms, zucchini €śpasta€ť, kale salad, and more

2018 Commanderie de la Bargemone Rose
Lighter styled Provencal rose, watermelon and lime, refreshing B

2016 Ch.Saint-Roch €śKerbuccio€ť Maury Sec
I dont have much dry Maury experience, this is a tad hard and angular. Possibly served too cold but not too enjoyable. B-/C+

1962 Ch. Lyonnat ( Lussac-St. Emilion)
Double-decanted an hour before. Red fruit, citrus zest, acid backbone, leather. Good showing for a satellite! B

2007 Hirtzberger Hochrain Riesling
Ripe, a bit too ripe for me, big and full bodied with pit fruit and a little heat. B-

Friday just me, with steak, mushrooms, salad, and the 2000 Ch. DAiguilhe. Rich plush style, black plum and mocha, pretty alive but not very complex. B

Saturday Betsy got back from a short trip with her mom and sister, we all went over to her sisters for dinner. I did appetizers- crudite with an anchovy/caper dip, scallop/shiso crudo, and oysters on half shell

2015 Thomas Morey €śLes Dents de Chien€ť Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Fuller but not soft, pear and hazelnut with long rich finish. A-/B+

Cal had made ribs, dilled potatos, shisito/corn salad, and tomato salad.
2009 Scherrer Old Mature Vines Zinfandel
I dont buy much Zinfandel, but when I do it should be Scherrer. Spicy, black cherry and raspberry, earth. Good length, balance. B+

Sunday night was LI flounder, delicata squash, salad, and the 2011 Thomas Labaille €śLes Monts Damnes- Cuvee Buster€ť Sancerre. This was rich but softer than I want in Sancerre, ripe and honied. B/B-.

We had planned a big backyard party for Labor Day, but forecast that AM was 80% chance of thunderstorms all afternoon. We canceled main party, but asked a few of the stalwarts to come over later for an inside dinner. Of course the storms came earlier and it was actually clear by late afternoon. So some calls and we ended up with about 20 people. Betsy made ribs, Ottolenghi carrots, guacamole. I did sausages (Toulouse, cacio a pepe, brats), salmon, elotes, and shishitos. Others brought quinoa salad, green salad, chard torte, sweet potato/bean/tortilla casserole, and more. We tried a lot of wines (including 3 "98s, as one attendee turned 21 Sunday, and had made her public debut at my Labor Day party 1998).

2018 Collotte Marsannay Rose
Red fruits, citrus, ripe but with a decent acidity underneath. Gets herby and earthy with air. B/B+

2017 Starling Castle Riesling
This was in a clear Bordeaux/SB style bottle and I was thinking it was Canadian (folks who brought just back from their place in NS). But no, this is Mosel. But it doesnt taste like it! Sweet apple juice, low acid. C+/C

2014 Mt. Eden Chardonnay (Edna Valley )
Pear, pineapple, just a hint of vanilla. Good acids, clean. B

1998 Zind-Humbrecht Herrenweg de Turckheim Gewurztraminer
In good shape but I didnt love. Soft, smoke and lychee, slightly cloying finish. B-/C+

1998 Trimbach Riesling Vendanges Tardives
This is a generic Riesling, not CFE or CSH. I didnt know what to expect, but this was delicious. Just off-dry, electric acids, pear and peach fruit framed by petrol and wet rocks. A-

1986 Ch. Talbot
Lovely, rich cassis accented by leather, smoke, and earth. Structured, balanced, and gets better in decanter through evening. A-

1996 Edmunds St John €śBrandlin Ranch€ť Zinfandel (Mt. Veeder)
Bold brambly fruit, tart, fun. B+

1998 Riojanas €śVina Albina€ť Rioja Gran Reserva
Red fruit overlaid with leather and coconut. Young, structured. B+

2017 Ultreia St Jacques (Bierzo)
Spicy, red fruit coffee and black pepper, with just a hint of ripe bell pepper. B+/B

2017 Meinklang Pinot Noir
Light, hint of spritz, crisp raspberry fruit. B