FoodBanter.com

-   -   wine 'o week (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/447953-wine-o-week.html)

greybeard[_2_] 21-08-2019 11:55 PM

wine 'o week

1999 Palliser Estate Pinot Noir, Martinborough, 14% ( bark closure)
Black-red, dark for PN, nothing on the nose. Palate of malt, plum, earth
not really of interest. Alive and drinkable but easily forgettable,
more attractive a decade ago.

DaleW[_2_] 22-08-2019 09:29 PM

wine 'o week

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 6:55:03 PM UTC-4, greybeard wrote:
> 1999 Palliser Estate Pinot Noir, Martinborough, 14% ( bark closure)
> Black-red, dark for PN, nothing on the nose. Palate of malt, plum, earth
> not really of interest. Alive and drinkable but easily forgettable,
> more attractive a decade ago.

I've never really had aged NZ PN. Which ones do you think improve, and what is peak drinkability?

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 22-08-2019 11:55 PM

wine 'o week

On 8/22/19 4:29 PM, DaleW wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 6:55:03 PM UTC-4, greybeard wrote:
>> 1999 Palliser Estate Pinot Noir, Martinborough, 14% ( bark closure)
>> Black-red, dark for PN, nothing on the nose. Palate of malt, plum, earth
>> not really of interest. Alive and drinkable but easily forgettable,
>> more attractive a decade ago.

> I've never really had aged NZ PN. Which ones do you think improve, and what is peak drinkability?

I've kept them alive and drinkable for 5-7 years but they don't seem to
improve for me.

Mark Lipton[_2_] 23-08-2019 02:15 AM

wine 'o week

On 8/22/19 6:55 PM, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
> On 8/22/19 4:29 PM, DaleW wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 6:55:03 PM UTC-4, greybeard wrote:
>>> 1999 Palliser Estate Pinot Noir, Martinborough, 14% ( bark closure)
>>> Black-red, dark for PN, nothing on the nose. Palate of malt, plum, earth
>>> not really of interest. Alive and drinkable but easily forgettable,
>>> more attractive a decade ago.

>> I've never really had aged NZ PN. Which ones do you think improve, and
>> what is peak drinkability?
>>

> I've kept them alive and drinkable for 5-7 years but they don't seem to
> improve for me.

I've aged Felton Road PNs with similar conclusions, but Martinborough
Vineyards for me is the most ageworthy NZ PN I've had. I drank a '98 in
2010 that was lovely and silky long.

Mark Lipton

greybeard[_2_] 23-08-2019 02:49 AM

wine 'o week

On 23/08/19 8:29 AM, DaleW wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 6:55:03 PM UTC-4, greybeard wrote:
>> 1999 Palliser Estate Pinot Noir, Martinborough, 14% ( bark closure)
>> Black-red, dark for PN, nothing on the nose. Palate of malt, plum, earth
>> not really of interest. Alive and drinkable but easily forgettable,
>> more attractive a decade ago.

> I've never really had aged NZ PN. Which ones do you think improve, and what is peak drinkability?

It's a very good question. One of the reasons I kept this bottle so
long was to try and answer it. The Palliser was a 'commercial', rather
than a premium brand.
Bit like burgundy, selecting nz pinot you need to consider;
Vintage- its variable and makes a big difference
Vineyard site- as you would expect some are better than others
Producer- training, experience and mindset shows

To Prof Lipton....
Felton Road is one of the stars ( be a year or two before I have a TN
for u )
Martinborough, the '98 reserve was very special. Drank my last about
2012. Still have a '96 and '97.
Last opening of '96 c. 2010 popped and poured lasted about 30minutes
and then rapidly turned to ashtray then poop.
'97 cooler vintage, most age worthy in my experience. Last opening
c ~~ 2010 alive and well but fading, definitely drink up stage.

Ata Rangi good vintages keep well for 10 years
'98 was superb 2006-2008, irresistible and quickly disappeared from cellar
'99 even better! also disappeared from cellar 2006~2010.

Enough from me. Here's the expert view. The oldest IIRC 2007.
Maybe there's a lesson in that

http://www.geoffkellywinereviews.co....?ArticleID=281