FoodBanter.com

-   -   Another bdx (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/447902-re-another-bdx.html)

DaleW[_2_] 16-08-2019 02:02 PM

Another bdx

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:04:11 PM UTC-4, greybeard wrote:
> Strips of thinly sliced beef cooked in lots of EVOO with a mixture of
> spices to emulate Moroccan flavours, over cous-cous and wilted leafy
> greens garnished with a liberal sprinkle of chopped mint and fresh
> tomato. Possibly not red wine friendly fare, but.........
> 2004 Ch. Lynch Bages, Pauillac, medium dark red, nice aromatics.
> Strong primary cabernet flavours, good acidity, unobtrusive integrated
> oak. Excellent cut through the spicy food, happy with food match.

Thanks for notes. I don't have a lot of '04 Bdx, dollar was fairly weak against Euro when they were released and so they seemed expensive. I had a lot of '96-'01 claret and mostly sat out. But those I've tasted recently have been pretty good.

Graham 16-08-2019 03:45 PM

Another bdx

On 2019-08-16 7:02 a.m., DaleW wrote:
> On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:04:11 PM UTC-4, greybeard wrote:
>> Strips of thinly sliced beef cooked in lots of EVOO with a mixture of
>> spices to emulate Moroccan flavours, over cous-cous and wilted leafy
>> greens garnished with a liberal sprinkle of chopped mint and fresh
>> tomato. Possibly not red wine friendly fare, but.........
>> 2004 Ch. Lynch Bages, Pauillac, medium dark red, nice aromatics.
>> Strong primary cabernet flavours, good acidity, unobtrusive integrated
>> oak. Excellent cut through the spicy food, happy with food match.

> Thanks for notes. I don't have a lot of '04 Bdx, dollar was fairly weak against Euro when they were released and so they seemed expensive. I had a lot of '96-'01 claret and mostly sat out. But those I've tasted recently have been pretty good.

I have a lot of 04s. They are supposedly ready but every one I've tried
has still been "shut in".
Graham

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 16-08-2019 09:29 PM

Another bdx

On 8/16/19 9:02 AM, DaleW wrote:
> On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:04:11 PM UTC-4, greybeard wrote:
>> Strips of thinly sliced beef cooked in lots of EVOO with a mixture of
>> spices to emulate Moroccan flavours, over cous-cous and wilted leafy
>> greens garnished with a liberal sprinkle of chopped mint and fresh
>> tomato. Possibly not red wine friendly fare, but.........
>> 2004 Ch. Lynch Bages, Pauillac, medium dark red, nice aromatics.
>> Strong primary cabernet flavours, good acidity, unobtrusive integrated
>> oak. Excellent cut through the spicy food, happy with food match.

> Thanks for notes. I don't have a lot of '04 Bdx, dollar was fairly weak against Euro when they were released and so they seemed expensive. I had a lot of '96-'01 claret and mostly sat out. But those I've tasted recently have been pretty good.

Still holding my 04's. Haven't tried any yet. Thinking about it this
fall though.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 16-08-2019 10:19 PM

Another bdx

On 8/16/19 9:02 AM, DaleW wrote:
> On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:04:11 PM UTC-4, greybeard wrote:
>> Strips of thinly sliced beef cooked in lots of EVOO with a mixture of
>> spices to emulate Moroccan flavours, over cous-cous and wilted leafy
>> greens garnished with a liberal sprinkle of chopped mint and fresh
>> tomato. Possibly not red wine friendly fare, but.........
>> 2004 Ch. Lynch Bages, Pauillac, medium dark red, nice aromatics.
>> Strong primary cabernet flavours, good acidity, unobtrusive integrated
>> oak. Excellent cut through the spicy food, happy with food match.

> Thanks for notes. I don't have a lot of '04 Bdx, dollar was fairly weak against Euro when they were released and so they seemed expensive. I had a lot of '96-'01 claret and mostly sat out. But those I've tasted recently have been pretty good.

Because '04 was a birthyear for our son, I did buy a few '04 Bdx, but
mostly bought elsewhere in that year. Haven't opened any of the '04s I
did buy, though (the Meyney is particularly tempting).

Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: RIP cwdjrx

Graham 17-08-2019 07:51 PM

Another bdx

On 2019-08-16 3:19 p.m., Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 8/16/19 9:02 AM, DaleW wrote:
>> On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:04:11 PM UTC-4, greybeard wrote:
>>> Strips of thinly sliced beef cooked in lots of EVOO with a mixture of
>>> spices to emulate Moroccan flavours, over cous-cous and wilted leafy
>>> greens garnished with a liberal sprinkle of chopped mint and fresh
>>> tomato. Possibly not red wine friendly fare, but.........
>>> 2004 Ch. Lynch Bages, Pauillac, medium dark red, nice aromatics.
>>> Strong primary cabernet flavours, good acidity, unobtrusive integrated
>>> oak. Excellent cut through the spicy food, happy with food match.

>> Thanks for notes. I don't have a lot of '04 Bdx, dollar was fairly weak against Euro when they were released and so they seemed expensive. I had a lot of '96-'01 claret and mostly sat out. But those I've tasted recently have been pretty good.
>>

> Because '04 was a birthyear for our son, I did buy a few '04 Bdx, but
> mostly bought elsewhere in that year. Haven't opened any of the '04s I
> did buy, though (the Meyney is particularly tempting).
>
> Mark Lipton

I bought quite a lot of 04 when it was advertised as the last affordable
vintage. Some of the 05s were 4-5 times the price and I have very few of
those and even fewer of subsequent vintages.