Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 3 white Burgs and 7 Volnays with Turkish food

Our city Bordeaux group veered in Burgundy Tuesday night. Theme at dinner at Sip Sak was white Burgundy and Volnay. Restaurant staff did a nice job, and food was good- especially the meze we started with- labneh with roasted pepper, hummus, gigante beans, grilled octopus, grilled sausage with fries, dried cucumber.

2016 Etienne Sauzet Les Champs-Gain Puligny-Montrachet 1er
Pretty and perky, pear and floral notes over a minerally finish with just a whisper of oak. A-

2015 Thomas Morey €śLes Dents de Chien€ť Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Fuller but not soft, pear and hazelnut with long rich finish. A-/B+

2014 Niellon €śLes Vergers€ť Chassange-Montrachet 1er
Not as much sulphur as last bottle, floral citrus blossom and apples, tasty.. B+

Really nice lineup of whites, all of which should theoretically age, but who is chancing it these days?

My main was grilled lamb chops with rice

2006 de Montille €śChampans€ť Volnay 1er
Not as backward as I would have expected for de Montille, ripe red fruit with some incense/sandalwood and a tangy finish. B+/B

2005 Henri Boillot €śLes Chevrets€ť Volnay 1er
A bit tight, oak is pretty evident, but a nice wine underneath. I enjoyed this but think will be better with time. B for now

2002 Bouchard Volnay €śClos Des Chenes€ť Volnay 1er
This one was the other one that definitely needs time, more open fruit but the wood isnt really integrated. Still, a good core of fruit underneath and good length. For now B

2002 Pousse d'Or €śClos de la Bousse d'Or€ť Volnay 1er
Lush red fruit with a backbone of acid, well-integrated sandwood/nut oak notes, exotic and tasty. A-

2002 Francois Gaunoux €śClos Des Chenes€ť Volnay 1er
Nice spice, surprisingly pretty mature, raspberry and cherry, good length, most ready wine. B+

1998 Lafarge €śClos Des Chenes€ť Volnay 1er
Still some tannin but not hard, black cherry, some mocha and smoke notes. Good length, good showing. A-/B+

1998 d'Angerville Clos Des Chenes Volnay 1er
Hey both 98s showing well. Black and red cherries, smoked meat, crunchy mineral finish. A-/B+

Fun night with good crew, and I liked all the wines, though some better for drinking now

Posted to alt.food.wine

I forgot the really nice crisp Larmandier-Bernier €śTerre de Vertus€ť we started with!
And the d'Angerville was the Ducs!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/08/19 4:30 AM, DaleW wrote:
> Our city Bordeaux group veered in Burgundy Tuesday night. Theme at dinner at Sip Sak was white Burgundy and Volnay. Restaurant staff did a nice job, and food was good- especially the meze we started with- labneh with roasted pepper, hummus, gigante beans, grilled octopus, grilled sausage with fries, dried cucumber.
>
> 2016 Etienne Sauzet Les Champs-Gain Puligny-Montrachet 1er
> Pretty and perky, pear and floral notes over a minerally finish with just a whisper of oak. A-
>
> 2015 Thomas Morey €śLes Dents de Chien€ť Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
> Fuller but not soft, pear and hazelnut with long rich finish. A-/B+
>
> 2014 Niellon €śLes Vergers€ť Chassange-Montrachet 1er
> Not as much sulphur as last bottle, floral citrus blossom and apples, tasty. B+
>
> Really nice lineup of whites, all of which should theoretically age, but who is chancing it these days?
>
> My main was grilled lamb chops with rice
>
> 2006 de Montille €śChampans€ť Volnay 1er
> Not as backward as I would have expected for de Montille, ripe red fruit with some incense/sandalwood and a tangy finish. B+/B
>
> 2005 Henri Boillot €śLes Chevrets€ť Volnay 1er
> A bit tight, oak is pretty evident, but a nice wine underneath. I enjoyed this but think will be better with time. B for now

I have a stash of 2005 burgs including some H Boillot. Always thought
vintage would need time so no corks pulled at this stage.
Have some 2015 of Boillot Chevrets which I think may drink earlier.

PS enjoy your posts, thread would die without you.

Sometimes chide myself for not posting TN's myself but mostly
consume local small production wines purchased direct from producers
and only exported in very very limited quantities.

> 2002 Bouchard Volnay €śClos Des Chenes€ť Volnay 1er
> This one was the other one that definitely needs time, more open fruit but the wood isnt really integrated. Still, a good core of fruit underneath and good length. For now B
>
> 2002 Pousse d'Or €śClos de la Bousse d'Or€ť Volnay 1er
> Lush red fruit with a backbone of acid, well-integrated sandwood/nut oak notes, exotic and tasty. A-
>
> 2002 Francois Gaunoux €śClos Des Chenes€ť Volnay 1er
> Nice spice, surprisingly pretty mature, raspberry and cherry, good length, most ready wine. B+
>
> 1998 Lafarge €śClos Des Chenes€ť Volnay 1er
> Still some tannin but not hard, black cherry, some mocha and smoke notes. Good length, good showing. A-/B+
>
> 1998 d'Angerville Clos Des Chenes Volnay 1er
> Hey both 98s showing well. Black and red cherries, smoked meat, crunchy mineral finish. A-/B+
>
> Fun night with good crew, and I liked all the wines, though some better for drinking now
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 7:39:16 PM UTC-4, greybeard wrote:

I have a stash of 2005 burgs including some H Boillot. Always thought
vintage would need time so no corks pulled at this stage.
Have some 2015 of Boillot Chevrets which I think may drink earlier.

PS enjoy your posts, thread would die without you.

Sometimes chide myself for not posting TN's myself but mostly
consume local small production wines purchased direct from producers
and only exported in very very limited quantities.

I am certainly holding off on my '05s. I think '15 is also a structured vintage, but in general I think either drink within a few years of vintage or wait past the grumpy stage. Though this '05 offered SOME pleasure

I know Usenet in general is dead, but I like posting here, even if small readership, and gives me an archive backup

I'd love to read notes on less known NZ producers, you never know when they might export. A good friend lived in NZ for a few years and it was fun learning about wines (some of which like Kumeu River started to be imported) or when a NZ friend brought a Bell Hill Canterbury Chard to a dinner.