Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Father's Day weekend- authentic roses and more

With salmon Thursday, the 2018 Thomas-Labaille Authentique Sancerre Rose. Snappy, mineral, tasty. B+

No wine Friday, we went with some friends to Carnegie Hall to see Betsys sisters final performance with the Metropolitan Opera orchestra (fine performance, Mahlers Ruckert-Lieder with Elina Garanca, and Bruckners 7th Symphony)

Saturday we hosted a party to celebrate a pair of retirements - Betsys sister and a friend whos a teacher. Pretty much a perfect night on patio- mild, light breeze, low humidity. We started with charcuterie and the NV Barnaut Authentique Grand Cru Rose Champagne
Beautiful clean red cherry and strawberry fruit, citrus zest, full-bodied, lively. Fine value B+/A-

(what are chances of 2 wines named Authentique couple days apart? )

I handled the first courses, a scallop/radish crudo and then butter poached/tarragon lobster & shrimp.
1991 Stony Hill Chardonnay
Ive had variable bottles from this lot but liked this one. Ripe apple/applesauce, almond/nutty, some orange zest, vanilla, good. B/B+

2010 Drouhin Marquis de Laguiche Morgeot Chassange-Montrachet 1er
Lovely and balanced apples and pear with orange zest and a little oak. Fine length, WOTN A-

Main was bucatini all'Amatriciana along with an Ottolenghi recipe for broccolini, green beans, and snow peas in a tahini dressing

1987 Kenwood Jack London Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Red plum and black raspberry, more acid than tannin, decent length, holding on well if not especially exciting. B

2012 San Carlo Brunello di Montalcino
Well, some people liked this. Hot, manipulated, and sweet, this is Brunello? C/C+

A wine event planned for an out of town guest had to be scrubbed, so we changed plans and were able to attend two graduation parties Sunday. The first featured a soft taco bar with pulled pork and chicken, Freds amazing gravalax, and lots of other food. I sampled a few wines:

Escudo Real Vinho Verde- I dont know Ive ever had a rose VV before. Light easy and fun. B-
Clovis rouge (Vin de France) - guessing this is Rhone or Languedoc, red fruit with a brambly underbrush note, nice balance. B
2016 Windisch Riesling Kabinett (forgot to take down vineyard) - a bit plodding, sweet, nice flavors, needs some zip. B-/C+

At second party I had a tiny sip of a 2016 Mendoza Vineyards Malbec Gran Reserva and a Mionetto Prosecco, neither worth a note but very happy to be at the party as Ive know grad since she was 2 days old (had a good burger)

Late Fathers Day dinner that night, a thyme-marjoram double pork chop sousvide, with the
2016 Coudert/Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis Fleurie. Im going through these fast but they are so good. Dark fruit, smoked meat and coffee, floral/. Ripe and full but quite balanced. A-

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 6/18/19 12:46 PM, DaleW wrote:
> 016 Coudert/Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis Fleurie. Im going through these fast but they are so good. Dark fruit, smoked meat and coffee, floral/. Ripe and full but quite balanced. A-

Will have to try this one. The description sounds great.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 6/18/19 2:46 PM, DaleW wrote:

> 1987 Kenwood Jack London Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
> Red plum and black raspberry, more acid than tannin, decent length, holding on well if not especially exciting. B

Hah!! Wow, that is a blast from the past. I used to buy this wine back
in the day before I started recording notes on the Internet. I don't
remember if I bought it in that vintage, which was a riper, less
structured vintage. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that it's survived
this long.

> Late Fathers Day dinner that night, a thyme-marjoram double pork chop sousvide, with the
> 2016 Coudert/Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis Fleurie. Im going through these fast but they are so good. Dark fruit, smoked meat and coffee, floral/. Ripe and full but quite balanced. A-

Very good to hear. I only have the '13, which I've been keeping my
mitts off of.

Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: RIP cwdjrx

TN: Whites and roses on a warm weekend DaleW Wine 0 13-07-2015 06:24 PM
TN: ross and more DaleW Wine 2 19-05-2015 02:10 PM
TN: Father's Day weekend (France, Italy, Germany, and US) DaleW Wine 0 22-06-2009 04:36 PM
TN: non-weekend weekend, with Beaujolais, Bdx, and Cahors DaleW Wine 8 12-01-2009 07:01 PM
TN: Rueda, Langhe, and Spanish Syrah/Mouvedre on Father's Day weekend DaleW Wine 0 20-06-2005 01:40 PM