Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN French wines (and 1 Chianti) at home and in the 'Gunks

Thursday was Keta (chum) salmon, baby Chinese mustard greens, brown rice, and salad; wine was the 2018 Mas de Gourgonnier rose (Les Baux de Provence).. Pale, delicate, citrus, srawberries, and flowers. B

Some friends came over Sat, we started with some oysters, then sat on patio for arctic char crudo with radishes. The Bernard Bremont €śCuvee Prestige€ť Brut Champagne (a recent release), was a lovely full but elegant sparkler- apple, brioche, and herb, fine bead, elegant mousse. B+/A-

The 2018 Ch. La Graviere blanc (Entre-Deux-Mers) was grassy and insubstantial, but others liked. C+

Main course was veal chops with sage, served with mushroom risotto and salad

2004 Fontodi Chianti Classico
Red and black cherry, some leathery notes (but integrated, not oxidative), mushrooms. Good acids, just a bit of tannin left, good length. B+

2001 Ch. du Tertre (Margaux)
Fairly plush, berries and red plums, some tobacco and earth. Drinking pretty well already. B+

Sunday we went up to Mohonk Mountain House for one night. Spent the afternoon canoeing and some light hiking (chance of thunderstorms so didnt feel like venturing too far or too high), then back to hotel where we ate in main dining room. I had roast beef with horseradish cream, lobster salad, barley with mushrooms, assorted vegetables, salad. We each had a glass of wine (which we shared, though maybe not equally)

2017 Louis Jadot Pouilly-Fuisse
Fairly ripe, but some decent acids, pear and a little toast, good finish. B

2015 Domaine Collotte €śLes Champ Salomon€ť Marsannay
Red currant, cherry, good acids, a little meaty note, herby, long. Quite good. B+

The Mohonk list is surprisingly ok for a place that didnt serve alcohol for well over a century. There were interesting half bottles from decent producers (Servin Chablis, Mont Redon CdP) and markups were reasonable. Glass list offered choice of 5 oz or 8 oz, I think 8 oz of Jadot PF was $18 and Collotte PN was $22, so not bad.