Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Easter weekend - Bdx, Beaujolais, Barolo, Bandol (blanc),RIeslings, more

We were all supposed to go to a seder Friday night, but my MIL wasnt feeling well so stayed home. Scallops, green beans, bulgur, salad, and:

2012 Terrebrune Bandol Blanc
Quince and pineapple, lower acid, a bit flat. B-/C+

2017 Ch. Graville-Lacoste (Graves)
Honeysuckle and citrus blossom on nose, just a hint of grass, on palate apple and lemon. Light and straightforward. B/B-

A violinist who used to be in a trio with Betsy was visiting with her family. She does a lot of new music and tango, so Saturday an interconnected group of classical/jazz/alternative musicians (2 guitarists, 2 cellists, 2 violinists 2 drummers, 2 pianists 1 clarinetist- I was only non musician in bunch) came for dinner.
We started with coppa, fromage de tete, home smoked trout and salmon, & deviled eggs

NV Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve GC BdB Champagne (mag)
This one has a QR code but only takes to PP site- strange
Bright, dry, crisp and elegant, yum. B++

Sat down for an amuse of scallop seviche
2014 La Barbotaine (Champault) Sancerre
Grass, apple, lemon, more grass, a bit clipped on finish. C+

2010 Jager Achleiten Riesling Smaragd
Lemon, lemon, lemon, ginger, some rocks. Despite the citrus notes round & fleshy, but tasty. B

We had made leg of lamb, cardamom/herb rice, & asparagus; others brought tofu and vegetable casserole, salad, quinoa with prosciutto and chevre, dan dan noodles, spicy sesame noodles, olive bread with mozzarella, and more

2004 Giovanni Rosso €śSerralunga€ť Barolo (mag)
Decanted about 2-3 hours before service. Red and black cherry , rose petal, tar. No hurry but drinking well. B+/B

1979 Ch. du Tertre (Margaux)
Another good showing. Bright acids, fully resolved tannin, black plum and currant with tobacco and earth. Good finish. B+/A-

2001 Ch. Lagrange (St Julien)
Young but approachable, some manageable tannin, cassis and red plum with some overlay of vanilla, toast, and cocoa. Fairly plush but not soft. I preferred du Tertre but think table fave. B+

2016 J. Vineyards Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley)
I needed a bit of red for a sauce with the lamb drippings, but was loath to use any of above. So opened this (an apparent host gift from some earlier event). Fine for sauce, not my style- ripe and very sweet, strawberry jam, a touch of heat (14.7 isnt so high for CA but this was noticable), just not fun (others liked more). C+/C

Easter just a small gathering at SILs. Charcuterie, smoked salmon, deviled eggs. Then pork roast, potato/fava/artichoke dish, Brussels sprouts, rainbow carrots

2015 Donnhoff Riesling
This is the estate QbA (AP 01). Somehow 1st bottle out of a case, what have I been waiting for? Sweet apple, blood orange, ginger, and minerals. Offdry but sweetness matched by vibrant acids. Great for level., B+

2008 Desjourneys €śLInterdit€ť "vin de France"
I think this is Fleurie that was denied appellation. Spicy/herby, hint of barnyard, red berries. Nice and interesting wine, happy to have tried at about $26 on closeout, but I dont think this would be a value at its suggested price. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/23/19 11:54 AM, DaleW wrote:

> 2012 Terrebrune Bandol Blanc
> Quince and pineapple, lower acid, a bit flat. B-/C+

Bandol blanc? Wow, first I've heard of it, even after two visits to the
region... Doesn't sound like I should make a special search for it,
though ;-)

Thanks for the interesting notes, Dale.

Mark Lipton
--
alt.food.wine FAQ: RIP cwdjrx
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/23/19 11:16 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 4/23/19 11:54 AM, DaleW wrote:
>
>> 2012 Terrebrune Bandol Blanc
>> Quince and pineapple, lower acid, a bit flat. B-/C+

> Bandol blanc? Wow, first I've heard of it, even after two visits to the
> region... Doesn't sound like I should make a special search for it,
> though ;-)
>
> Thanks for the interesting notes, Dale.
>
> Mark Lipton

Mark, never heard of that either. But on the other hand, it didn't sound
that good from the description. One other comment I had was on the 2001
Bordeaux. I find the 1999 still insufficiently aged so can't even think
about 2001.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 2:01:02 PM UTC-4, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
> On 4/23/19 11:16 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> > On 4/23/19 11:54 AM, DaleW wrote:
> >
> >> 2012 Terrebrune Bandol Blanc
> >> Quince and pineapple, lower acid, a bit flat. B-/C+

> > Bandol blanc? Wow, first I've heard of it, even after two visits to the
> > region... Doesn't sound like I should make a special search for it,
> > though ;-)
> >
> > Thanks for the interesting notes, Dale.
> >
> > Mark Lipton
> >

> Mark, never heard of that either. But on the other hand, it didn't sound
> that good from the description. One other comment I had was on the 2001
> Bordeaux. I find the 1999 still insufficiently aged so can't even think
> about 2001.

I've had decent Bandol Blanc from I think Gros Nore and Lafran-Veyrolles , and I've enjoyed the Cassis Blanc from Clos Ste. Magdeleine (same area, I think similar cepage).
Larry are you talking Lagrange in particular or '99 Bordeaux in general? I've not had Lagrange in memory, but for me (and I'm generally considered a necrophiliac) pretty much every '99 I've had has been pretty ready for several years. In Medoc I'm generally holding '95, '96, '00 and drinking '98 and '99 ('97 thankfully gone). I'm holding bigger boys in '01 but thought I'd try the Lagrange as I have several. Young but not closed.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/23/19 2:07 PM, DaleW wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 2:01:02 PM UTC-4, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

>>> Bandol blanc? Wow, first I've heard of it, even after two visits to the
>>> region... Doesn't sound like I should make a special search for it,
>>> though ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks for the interesting notes, Dale.
>>>
>>> Mark Lipton
>>>

>> Mark, never heard of that either. But on the other hand, it didn't sound
>> that good from the description. One other comment I had was on the 2001
>> Bordeaux. I find the 1999 still insufficiently aged so can't even think
>> about 2001.

> I've had decent Bandol Blanc from I think Gros Nore and Lafran-Veyrolles , and I've enjoyed the Cassis Blanc from Clos Ste. Magdeleine (same area, I think similar cepage).
> Larry are you talking Lagrange in particular or '99 Bordeaux in general? I've not had Lagrange in memory, but for me (and I'm generally considered a necrophiliac) pretty much every '99 I've had has been pretty ready for several years. In Medoc I'm generally holding '95, '96, '00 and drinking '98 and '99 ('97 thankfully gone). I'm holding bigger boys in '01 but thought I'd try the Lagrange as I have several. Young but not closed.

Not quite across the board. I find '99 to still be tight for virtually
all of my Bordeaux. That being said, I generally have big boys like
Leoville de las Cases. Mostly others are Medocs. Not sure why mine are
aging more slowly though the cellar temp is consistently low 50's
(passive) and this may influence development.