Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Portuguese night, + some French wines and a lone Austrian

Friday was Portuguese night for our local non-serious wine group. Alex put out a nice spread with linguica, a variation on Bacalhau com natas (using smoked whitefish instead of bacalhau) cheeses, salad and more.

2017 Niepoort Redoma Branco
Nice white to start. Good acids, citrus fruit, flowers, some seashell/salinity on finish. Kind of Albarino meets Muscadet (unsure of grapes). B+/B

2017 Filipa Pato €ś3B€ť Brut Rose
Dry, tart, bright with nice finish. B

Reds were blind

2014 LAB (Lisboa)
Short, soft red fruit, touch of vanilla and butter. B-/C+

2015 Quinta do Infantado Douro
Clean, fresh red and black fruit, medium bodied, I like, B

2012 Quinta do Infantado Douro (Organic)
(different label, apparently a specific parcel) , a tough beefier but well balanced,black plum and berry, some nice ferric notes. Fun. B+/B

2016 Chamine (Alentejano)
Sweet, short soft. B-/C+

2015 Esporao Reserva
Ripe and jammy, touch of heat, a bit clipped. C+
2017 Filipa Pato Baga FP
Black raspberry and plum, mocha, smoked meat. Nice balance. B+/B

1982 Offley Boa Vista Vintage Port
Decanted about 3 hours. OK, 3rd tier producer, a vintage most didnt declare. But it actually showed fairly nicely, if not very complex. Candied cherry with some five-spice and citrus zest, just not super long and showing its alcohol a bit too much. Drink up B

Fun night
I had been to fishmonger before we were invited to friends for dinner Sat, so we just offered to bring oysters and our whole fish.
Home smoked trout, oysters, then sat for Betsys roasted bluefish
2015 Thomas Morey €śDent de Chien€ť Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Ive had the Murgers dDdCs St Aubin lots before, but never had this vineyard before. Glad I have now! Full and deep, pear with a touch of pit fruit, light citrus blossom notes over some light hazelnut/oak notes. B+/A-

2015 Michelot Bourgogne Blanc.
Full style, decent acids, nice enough quaffer B_

Lamb chops, rice, salad
2009 Fleur Cardinale
Quite ripe, jammy dark fruits, mocha and heavy oak notes. Not my thang. C+/B-

2015 Johann Michel Cornas
Spicy, dark berries, pepper. A bit tannic, but drinking well despite that. B+

Betsy had a concert Sunday, I had an all day meeting, but had enough time to cook before she returned with her mom and a friend. Scallop crudo, Arctic char with citrus, brown rice, sauteed spinach, mushrooms (Maitake, bluefoot, yellow oyster, shiitake), salad

2017 Gobelsburg Gruner Veltliner (Kamptal)
Just a hint of spritz, green apple and pea shoot, nicely balanced, good value. B/B+

2017 Manciat €śFranclieu€ť Macon-Charnay
Clean fresh Chardonnay fruit (apple and peach), no noticeable oak, some floral notes, nice acid backbone, another fine value. B+/B

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2019-04-16 18:38, DaleW wrote:
> Friday was Portuguese night for our local non-serious wine group. Alex put out a nice spread with linguica, a variation on Bacalhau com natas (using smoked whitefish instead of bacalhau) cheeses, salad and more.
>
> 2017 Niepoort Redoma Branco
> Nice white to start. Good acids, citrus fruit, flowers, some seashell/salinity on finish. Kind of Albarino meets Muscadet (unsure of grapes). B+/B

https://www.niepoort-vinhos.com/es/w...ma-Branco.html
Never heard of any of them ;-)

[€¦]
--