Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 7 Fishes with some Italian wines, Bdx and more for Christmas, etc

With assorted leftovers, the 1998 Jadot Clos des Ursules Beaune 1er. I expected to love this, but found it somewhat monolithic and closed. Medium-high acids, some tannin, black fruit in the background. Others notes seem to find this more open, not sure what to make of it. Wondering if low-level TCA, but if so under my perception level. B-/C+

Betsys mom was with us for rack of lamb, kabocha squash, and salad, wine was the 2016 Barou €śAutre Monde€ť St. Joseph. Lighter styled, good acids, dark fruit and pepper. B

An early €śFeast of the Seven Fishes€ť dinner at Betsys sisters , think we actually ended up totalling 10 fishes.

We were in charge of
Crudo (wahoo and scallop, with sakura cress and citrus dressing)
Smoked salmon canapes
Unagi
Cioppino (clams, mussels, squid, shrimp, wahoo)

They did
Coconut Shrimp
Calamari with 2 sauces
Crab salad in avocado
Linguine with anchovy sauce

NV Bernard Bremont €śCuvee Prestige€ť Grand Cru Champagne
Apples, citrus and warm bread, elegant mousse, fine and appealing. A-/B+

2000 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco
Decanted a couple hours before dinner. Warm red fruits, tar, sandalwood spice. Medium bodied, resolved tannin, lively acids. Drinking well. $21 I think. A-/B+

2017 Collestefano Verdicchio di Matelica
Ripe pit fruit and citrus,oystershell, lively, fine value. B+

2017 Inama Soave Classico
Comes across as a little fat and sweet compared to the Verdicchio. B-/C+

2017 Terre Nere Etna Bianco
Melon, tropical fruit, tasty but needs more cut. B-

Fun night

Home on Christmas Eve for Korean-accented pork tenderloin, Asian slaw

1996 Sottimano Barbaresco Fausoni
Fully mature, mocha and plush red fruits, acceptable older red wine from anywhere I guess. B-/C+

Set up for 10 people Christmas dinner, we had 2 families join us.

Pork pate
beef terrine
smoked salmon with ikura, shiso, and creme fraiche on cukes

NV Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve Blanc des Blancs Champagne (magnum).
Elegant, high acids, crisp and a great foil to the food. B+

Mushroom madeira soup

1988 Ch. Carbonnieux Blanc
Not a lot of fruit on opening, , but really complex nose with wax, grass, and petrol. I thought a bit tired at serving but actually picks up heft and citrus fruit through evening. Quite fun. B+

Citrus marinated grilled quail with steamed veggies on bibb lettuce
2002 Bachelet Bourgogne
I thought I had drunk all of these, stumbled across in cellar recently. One person (fond of big wines) thought €śthin€ť, but I thought elegant and aromatic. Black cherry and raspberry, spice, soil. All one could hope for in a regional wine. Overachiever! B++

Beef tenderloin with basil mayonnaise, green beans with gremolata, €śParty potatoes€ť (whipped with sour cream, cream cheese, etc)

1966 Louis Martini Mountain Barbera
These old Martini Barberas are usually fun. This was a bit funky when first decanted, and I worried it was cracking up, but settled down with nice black cherry fruit, dried apricot and pineapple. Not very long, but holding on.. B

1998 Ch. La Grave a Pomerol
I think everyones WOTN. Just a great showing- ripe black plums, cocoa, coffee, and a little hint of forest floor. Long, balanced, plenty in reserve but drinking well now. A-

1988 Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva DOro Ducale
A touch of merde, high acids, still a bit of tannin, a bit clipped on finish. B-

Pears poached in red wine, chocolate cake, Camembert, Great Hill Blue

1995 Ch. Soucherie €śCuvee de la Tour€ť Coteaux du Layon-Beaulieu (500 ml)
Dried apricots, orange marmalade, some wool and wax. Nice acids. B/B+

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/26/18 10:11 AM, DaleW wrote:
> 2000 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco
> Decanted a couple hours before dinner. Warm red fruits, tar, sandalwood spice. Medium bodied, resolved tannin, lively acids. Drinking well. $21 I think. A-/B+

I still have 2 of these from a 4-pack. Would you drink up or will it get
better. Sounds good right now.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 2:59:45 PM UTC-5, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
> On 12/26/18 10:11 AM, DaleW wrote:
> > 2000 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco
> > Decanted a couple hours before dinner. Warm red fruits, tar, sandalwood spice. Medium bodied, resolved tannin, lively acids. Drinking well. $21 I think. A-/B+

> I still have 2 of these from a 4-pack. Would you drink up or will it get
> better. Sounds good right now.

I'd never discount the ability of even the normale to age (had great bottles from 60s and 70s) but I think 2000 was a ripe forward vintage and it is drinking well right now, so why wait.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/26/18 4:20 PM, DaleW wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 2:59:45 PM UTC-5, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>> On 12/26/18 10:11 AM, DaleW wrote:
>>> 2000 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco
>>> Decanted a couple hours before dinner. Warm red fruits, tar, sandalwood spice. Medium bodied, resolved tannin, lively acids. Drinking well. $21 I think. A-/B+

>> I still have 2 of these from a 4-pack. Would you drink up or will it get
>> better. Sounds good right now.

> I'd never discount the ability of even the normale to age (had great bottles from 60s and 70s) but I think 2000 was a ripe forward vintage and it is drinking well right now, so why wait.

Sounds good to me. Looking forward to it.