FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Lot of Carignan, some Rieslings, + Fleurie, Bdx, etc (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/445312-tn-lot-carignan-some.html)

DaleW[_2_] 11-12-2018 12:50 AM

TN: Lot of Carignan, some Rieslings, + Fleurie, Bdx, etc

With pork tenderloin, the 2016 Coudert/Roilette Griffe du Marquis Fleurie. Man, this is as lovely a young Fleurie as I can ever remember. Floral nose over black cherries and raspberries. Full, balanced, mocha notes with some air. A-

Friday over to Robs for local group. Opener was the 2017 Lauverjat Sancerre - clean, easy, correct. B

Rob had meatballs, kale salad, campanelle with pork/clam sausage, mozzarella.
The theme was Carignan (!!!!), and the wines were blind (but dont think anyone knew enough Carignans to make that neccessary!)

2016 Lioco Carignan - light, spicy, a tad grapey. B

2015 Maitre de Chai Carignan - herby./stemmy, most complex of tasting, raspberries. B+/B

2016 Buio Carignano del Sulcis - Took a lot of guesses to get to Italy (Sardenga). Ripe, a little flabby, clipped. B-

2015 Clos du Gavillas Carignan de 100 ans (Cotes Brion) - darker fruit, blackberry, funky. Never heard of appellation before B/B+

2006 Fontsainte Corbieres - maybe just too old, but I think this was cooked (and when I heard store I was ever surer). Volatile, off-nose, disjointed. C-

2011 Georges Cotes du Roussillon - tired, browning, some ashtray C

2015 Silvestre Villalobos Carignan - fruity, grapey,a bit simple, others liked more than me. B-/C+

2016 La Mariole Vignes Centenaires- blackberry, black plums, a little horsey but nice B/B+

Saturday was Rogers annual St Nicolaus party. Hes German , so outdoor despite mid-20s. Bratwurst, cheeses, lots of desserts

2017 Kunstler Riesling Trocken- dry, crisp, herby. B/B+

1983 S.A. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese - not a producer I search for, but this was lovely. Cork showed some old seepage (store had wrapped top in plastic), but color was good. Peaches, pineapples, and petrol. Nice balance of acid and sweetness, good finish. Maybe not the complexity of a JJP, but alive and kicking. B+/A-

2002 Donnhoff Oberhauser Kabinett - white peach, citrus zest, this has aged just fine. B+

1988 Buena Vista Private Reserve Cabernet- I got lucky with an "83 of this, but this was a dead horse. Dank ashtray, meat, more ashtray C-

1989 Ch. Gloria- black plum, cedar, tobacco, some ash, this is on the far end of plateau and heading down, but still shows some Bordeaux style. B/B-

With bay scallops, basil, and tomatoes over pasta, the 2015 Sainte Barbe (Chaland) "la Perriere" Vire-Clesse. A bit sweet, a honied note, not very bright. B-/C+