Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: T'giving (US) w/Meyney, Produttori, Coudert, Peters, Perez

Figured seafood was good for night before turkey day, so on Wednesday we had roast branzino, brown rice, bok choy, and salad. With was the 2014 Raul Perez Sketch Albarino. Pear and lemon, ripe and full, well-balanced, I like, but not likely to often spend $50 on an Albarino. B+

So Thanksgiving came in cold. We were hosting, 12 altogether, ranging from 17 to 93. As people arrived, we had out charcuterie, Brussels sprouts ganoush, and toasts with pickled mushrooms and creme fraiche, another family brought fig with bacon and chile. Appetizer wine was a magnum of the NV Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve Blanc des Blancs Champagne (2011 base, July 2015 disgorgement). Bright acids, elegant bead, fresh apple pie and lemon tart. Acid overtakes fruit a bit at moment, but I like this despite the supposed weak base year. B+/B

Betsy made turkey (with anchovy/garlic rub), Brussels sprout/arugula salad, sweet potatoes with pickled onions, gravy, I made 2 kinds of dressing- oyster/mushroom and giblet/mushroom. Others brought mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, beets, cranberry relishes (straight and one with pomegranate), green beans, gluten free dressing and gravy, pies (pumpkin, GF pumpkin, and a 3 fruit-jam tricolor), and probably more stuff I forgot.

1993 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva (magnum)
I think 1993 is an under the radar vintage in Barolo, but my Barbaresco experience has been more mixed. But this (from 1.5 liter) showed great after about 4 hours in decanter. Black cherries, anise, and tar on nose, on palate this is midbodied and feminine. Good acids, supple tannin, long finish. A-/B+

1986 Ch. Meyney
Probably the wine Ive drunk the most of in my life. Ive thought recent bottles of this were pretty mature with mostly resolved tannin,but with this bottle there was still some rigidity to the tannins upon opening. But some time in decanter helped with that, and it was drinking quite nicely by serving time. Red and black currants, some tobacco and cedar notes, tobacco more prominent towards end of night. Such a dependable wine. B+

2017 Clos de la Roilette (Coudert) Fleurie
Best food match, raspberry joy juice, good ripeness but good acids. B+

2015 Jadot Coteaux Bourguignons Blanc (cooking wine)
Grande Ordinaire by another name is still pretty ordinary, apples and dullness. C+

Nice time with great group. Hope everyone else enjoyed the holiday!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/23/18 2:33 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Figured seafood was good for night before turkey day, so on Wednesday we had roast branzino, brown rice, bok choy, and salad. With was the 2014 Raul Perez Sketch Albarino. Pear and lemon, ripe and full, well-balanced, I like, but not likely to often spend $50 on an Albarino. B+

$50 Albariño. Didn't know that existed.

> So Thanksgiving came in cold. We were hosting, 12 altogether, ranging from 17 to 93. As people arrived, we had out charcuterie, Brussels sprouts ganoush, and toasts with pickled mushrooms and creme fraiche, another family brought fig with bacon and chile. Appetizer wine was a magnum of the NV Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve Blanc des Blancs Champagne (2011 base, July 2015 disgorgement). Bright acids, elegant bead, fresh apple pie and lemon tart. Acid overtakes fruit a bit at moment, but I like this despite the supposed weak base year. B+/B
>
> Betsy made turkey (with anchovy/garlic rub), Brussels sprout/arugula salad, sweet potatoes with pickled onions, gravy, I made 2 kinds of dressing- oyster/mushroom and giblet/mushroom. Others brought mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, beets, cranberry relishes (straight and one with pomegranate), green beans, gluten free dressing and gravy, pies (pumpkin, GF pumpkin, and a 3 fruit-jam tricolor), and probably more stuff I forgot.
>
> 1993 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva (magnum)
> I think 1993 is an under the radar vintage in Barolo, but my Barbaresco experience has been more mixed. But this (from 1.5 liter) showed great after about 4 hours in decanter. Black cherries, anise, and tar on nose, on palate this is midbodied and feminine. Good acids, supple tannin, long finish. A-/B+
>
> 1986 Ch. Meyney
> Probably the wine Ive drunk the most of in my life. Ive thought recent bottles of this were pretty mature with mostly resolved tannin,but with this bottle there was still some rigidity to the tannins upon opening. But some time in decanter helped with that, and it was drinking quite nicely by serving time. Red and black currants, some tobacco and cedar notes, tobacco more prominent towards end of night. Such a dependable wine. B+
>
> 2017 Clos de la Roilette (Coudert) Fleurie
> Best food match, raspberry joy juice, good ripeness but good acids. B+

We had all Beaujolais for our reds. Mostly 2014. Goes so well with the
Turkey and the sides.

> 2015 Jadot Coteaux Bourguignons Blanc (cooking wine)
> Grande Ordinaire by another name is still pretty ordinary, apples and dullness. C+
>
> Nice time with great group. Hope everyone else enjoyed the holiday!
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/23/18 5:31 PM, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

>> 2017 Clos de la Roilette (Coudert) Fleurie
>> Best food match, raspberry joy juice, good ripeness but good acids. B+

> We had all Beaujolais for our reds. Mostly 2014. Goes so well with the
> Turkey and the sides.

We did too in a small event this year. A bottle of 2014 Foillard Cote
du Py was lovely with the turkey and shiitake stuffing. We steered away
from sweeter sides this time.

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 5:31:28 PM UTC-5, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
> On 11/23/18 2:33 PM, DaleW wrote:
>

> $50 Albariño. Didn't know that existed.

this is probably one of the very few
I like Raul Perez's wines a lot, so willing to take a chance. Not likely to do again, though it was fine, just not compelling