FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: back to wine- 64 and 01 Nebbiolo, white Burg, 2 roses, more (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/445085-tn-back-wine-64-a.html)

DaleW[_2_] 12-11-2018 11:47 PM

TN: back to wine- 64 and 01 Nebbiolo, white Burg, 2 roses, more

After 8 days of no wine, on Friday I opened the 2016 F. Cotat Chavignol Sancerre Rose with tandoori style chicken, quinoa pilaf, asparagus, and salad. Nice, better with a couple hours air (and better on day 2). Red fruits, flinty minerals, some herbs. Long finish. No hurry here. B++

Saturday to some friends to celebrate a birthday. Nancys sister, BIL, 2 nephews, and another couple were there as well. Started with crudite with a spicy yogurt sauce, smoked fish canapes

The toasting wine was the NV Bremont €śCuvee Prestige€ť Brut Champagne. Apple and pear., pie crust, well-balanced with fine bead. Good length. B+/A-

There was also the 2017 Roseline €śLampe de Meduse€ť Cotes de Provence Rose. Full for CdProvence, ripe strawberry, a little floral. Could use a little more acid (drunk from flute, so take with grain of salt). B

Main course was Bolognese and pasta, with salad

1964 Produttori de Barbaresco Barbaresco
Decanted early afternoon (unbelievable amount of sediment), back to bottle after couple hours.
Originally when decanted a rather volatile roasted nose, but calms down. Beautiful pale color, perfumed, dried cherry and red plum fruit, plenty of tar. Gets a leathery edge. Holds well through dinner. B+/A-

2006 Lamborghini Campoleone
Some peoples favorite- ripe berry fruit, still some tannin, vanilla, mocha. Big wine. B/B-

2001 Sella Lessona
This was showing great. Dried cherries, cherry, orange zest, tar. A pointe. I should have a bottle, will dig out. A-/B+

There was a Corsican wine from Petroni, seemed like some good materials, ruined by TCA

Friday Betsy had a concert in Brooklyn (Joan Towers 80th) , I had dinner ready when she returned. Scallops, sauteed spinach, sauteed cherry tomatoes with zucchini, purple cauliflower.
Wine was the 2004 Chandon de Briailles €śAux Vergelesses€ť Savigny-les-Beaune 1er blanc.
No premox here, just what I love in maturing white Burg. Good acids, just a touch of vanillin oak, rich pear fruit accented with hazelnut. Long, refreshing chalky finish. Fingers crossed other bottle shows as well A-/B+

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 13-11-2018 05:01 PM

On 11/12/18 4:47 PM, DaleW wrote:
> After 8 days of no wine, on Friday I opened the 2016 F. Cotat Chavignol Sancerre Rose with tandoori style chicken, quinoa pilaf, asparagus, and salad. Nice, better with a couple hours air (and better on day 2). Red fruits, flinty minerals, some herbs. Long finish. No hurry here. B++
>
> Saturday to some friends to celebrate a birthday. Nancys sister, BIL, 2 nephews, and another couple were there as well. Started with crudite with a spicy yogurt sauce, smoked fish canapes
>
> The toasting wine was the NV Bremont €śCuvee Prestige€ť Brut Champagne. Apple and pear., pie crust, well-balanced with fine bead. Good length. B+/A-
>
> There was also the 2017 Roseline €śLampe de Meduse€ť Cotes de Provence Rose. Full for CdProvence, ripe strawberry, a little floral. Could use a little more acid (drunk from flute, so take with grain of salt). B
>
> Main course was Bolognese and pasta, with salad
>
> 1964 Produttori de Barbaresco Barbaresco
> Decanted early afternoon (unbelievable amount of sediment), back to bottle after couple hours.
> Originally when decanted a rather volatile roasted nose, but calms down. Beautiful pale color, perfumed, dried cherry and red plum fruit, plenty of tar. Gets a leathery edge. Holds well through dinner. B+/A-

Haven't had one of these with that much age on it. Longest I've ever
managed to keep one was 25 years. This sounds great. Have a few now
approaching 25 years but may not wait to pop them.

> 2006 Lamborghini Campoleone
> Some peoples favorite- ripe berry fruit, still some tannin, vanilla, mocha. Big wine. B/B-
>
> 2001 Sella Lessona
> This was showing great. Dried cherries, cherry, orange zest, tar. A pointe. I should have a bottle, will dig out. A-/B+

This is usually one of my favorites.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 13-11-2018 06:32 PM

On 11/12/18 5:47 PM, DaleW wrote:

> 2001 Sella Lessona
> This was showing great. Dried cherries, cherry, orange zest, tar. A pointe. I should have a bottle, will dig out. A-/B+

I am not at all surprised by this showing. In June, we took a break
from house emptying to celebrate my birthday at Chez Panisse cafe. We
got a bottle of 2001 Sella Lessona San Sebastiano alla Zoppo from the
wine list and it was rockin', about as lovely a bottle of Nebbiolo as
I've had. Alas, (per Levi Dalton) Sella changed directions shortly
after that and Cristiano Garella left for other projects. I'm now
looking for Colombera & Garella wines to scratch that same itch.

Mark Lipton

DaleW[_2_] 14-11-2018 11:02 PM

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 11:02:00 AM UTC-5, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> > 1964 Produttori de Barbaresco Barbaresco
> > Decanted early afternoon (unbelievable amount of sediment), back to bottle af

> Haven't had one of these with that much age on it. Longest I've ever
> managed to keep one was 25 years. This sounds great. Have a few now
> approaching 25 years but may not wait to pop them.

well, 67 was year they starting bottling the single cru riservas, so in '64 everything went into blend (I think there was also a riserva, but just extra year in wood). Which could help. But I've had great normales from 70s as well. But in general I think the normales are pretty great QPR at 10-20 years (certainly drinkable younger)

DaleW[_2_] 14-11-2018 11:03 PM

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 12:32:13 PM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:

> > 2001 Sella Lessona
> > This was showing great. Dried cherries, cherry, orange zest, tar. A pointe. I should have a bottle, will dig out. A-/B+

> I am not at all surprised by this showing. In June, we took a break
> from house emptying to celebrate my birthday at Chez Panisse cafe. We
> got a bottle of 2001 Sella Lessona San Sebastiano alla Zoppo from the
> wine list and it was rockin', about as lovely a bottle of Nebbiolo as
> I've had. Alas, (per Levi Dalton) Sella changed directions shortly
> after that and Cristiano Garella left for other projects. I'm now
> looking for Colombera & Garella wines to scratch that same itch.

Ah, good to know. I've seen offers for Colombera & Garella but didn't know "lineage"

Mark Lipton[_1_] 15-11-2018 06:00 PM

On 11/14/18 5:03 PM, DaleW wrote:

> Ah, good to know. I've seen offers for Colombera & Garella but didn't know "lineage"

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate a heads up next time you see one. My
usual sources haven't so far produced any....

Mark Lipton

DaleW[_2_] 16-11-2018 03:13 AM

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 12:00:45 PM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 11/14/18 5:03 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
> > Ah, good to know. I've seen offers for Colombera & Garella but didn't know "lineage"
> >

> If you don't mind, I'd appreciate a heads up next time you see one. My
> usual sources haven't so far produced any....
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --

Will do
Definitely have seen from Crush and Flatiron, I think CSW as well