Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: CdBriailles Iles des Vergelesses

Wednesday was Halloween, and the last night before I forego wine for a week and a half (for waistline reasons). Gave out a couple thousand pieces of candy at office, then came home to make dinner while occasionally running to door for more trickortreaters. Tuna steak, collards, quinoa, and salad. Wine was 2009 Chandon de Briailles €śIle de Vergelesses€ť 1er. Unsurprisingly tight at first, opened through night. Ripe without showing heat (says 13.5 abv) or roasted notes. Quite a bit of tannin. Black cherry and raspberry, a little mocha, stony finish. Last glass has some smoke and mushroom. Nice wine, long finish, but probably better to let rest quite a while. B for drinking now, expect to improve.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/4/18 3:07 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Wednesday was Halloween, and the last night before I forego wine for a week and a half (for waistline reasons). Gave out a couple thousand pieces of candy at office, then came home to make dinner while occasionally running to door for more trickortreaters. Tuna steak, collards, quinoa, and salad. Wine was 2009 Chandon de Briailles €śIle de Vergelesses€ť 1er. Unsurprisingly tight at first, opened through night. Ripe without showing heat (says 13.5 abv) or roasted notes. Quite a bit of tannin. Black cherry and raspberry, a little mocha, stony finish. Last glass has some smoke and mushroom. Nice wine, long finish, but probably better to let rest quite a while. B for drinking now, expect to improve.

You surprise me, Dale. I wouldn't have thought that many '09s were
ready to go now and IME this particular bottling is especially backward.
I've opened a few '07 CbB IdVs and they've been quite tight, too.
Their stem inclusion seems to really take time to soften and resolve.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 11:38:47 AM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:

> You surprise me, Dale. I wouldn't have thought that many '09s were
> ready to go now and IME this particular bottling is especially backward.
> I've opened a few '07 CbB IdVs and they've been quite tight, too.
> Their stem inclusion seems to really take time to soften and resolve.

I surprised myself. I didn't plan ahead, and when we got in from downtown candy-giving I hadn't planned ahead for wine. I was trying to get dinner ready, answer door for kids, and choose wine (every time I went to basement I would hear kids arrive!). So not much time for perusal, and I wanted something from Burgundy that:
1) I hadn't had recently
2) was good enough for my last night of wine for 10 days
3) wasn't pricey enough that I would regret putting leftovers in vinegar crock, as I don't think I want remainders in 11 days.

This had better shot that some young Pommards in same box.

So yeah, pretty closed down and tough at first. I found enjoyment later, but clearly not optimal, so rest of these will rest for a while

You never know to
Posted to alt.food.wine

that should have read "you never know till you try"
(but I should have predicted)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/5/18 2:52 PM, DaleW wrote:
> that should have read "you never know till you try"
> (but I should have predicted)

That makes sense, Dale. I don't run into these problems (except at
restaurants) because all of our wine is in one place.

Mark Lipton