Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wine Wordplay!

Hello all. Just a little something something to elicit a smile, though
I suppose you may have to be of a certain age to get it. Tonight with
dinner my wife and I enjoyed a bottle of Castello di Verrazzano
Chianti Classico. My wife asked if castello was sort of the Italian
equivalent of the French chateau. I replied in the affirmative and
then, keeping as straight a face as I could, added that each Italian
wine house had its own monk to pray for a good vintage and that this
monk was called the Abbot of Castello! She almost threw the botle at
me- but she *was* laughing!

Cheers,
Jack
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/16/18 11:06 PM, cruciverbalist wrote:
> Hello all. Just a little something something to elicit a smile, though
> I suppose you may have to be of a certain age to get it. Tonight with
> dinner my wife and I enjoyed a bottle of Castello di Verrazzano
> Chianti Classico. My wife asked if castello was sort of the Italian
> equivalent of the French chateau. I replied in the affirmative and
> then, keeping as straight a face as I could, added that each Italian
> wine house had its own monk to pray for a good vintage and that this
> monk was called the Abbot of Castello! She almost threw the botle at
> me- but she *was* laughing!

Well played!

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 1:38:21 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 8/16/18 11:06 PM, cruciverbalist wrote:
> > Hello all. Just a little something something to elicit a smile, though
> > I suppose you may have to be of a certain age to get it. Tonight with
> > dinner my wife and I enjoyed a bottle of Castello di Verrazzano
> > Chianti Classico. My wife asked if castello was sort of the Italian
> > equivalent of the French chateau. I replied in the affirmative and
> > then, keeping as straight a face as I could, added that each Italian
> > wine house had its own monk to pray for a good vintage and that this
> > monk was called the Abbot of Castello! She almost threw the botle at
> > me- but she *was* laughing!

> Well played!

Indeed.
Will use myself and pretend original
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 1:57:11 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 1:38:21 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> > On 8/16/18 11:06 PM, cruciverbalist wrote:
> > > Hello all. Just a little something something to elicit a smile, though
> > > I suppose you may have to be of a certain age to get it. Tonight with
> > > dinner my wife and I enjoyed a bottle of Castello di Verrazzano
> > > Chianti Classico. My wife asked if castello was sort of the Italian
> > > equivalent of the French chateau. I replied in the affirmative and
> > > then, keeping as straight a face as I could, added that each Italian
> > > wine house had its own monk to pray for a good vintage and that this
> > > monk was called the Abbot of Castello! She almost threw the botle at
> > > me- but she *was* laughing!

> > Well played!
> >

> Indeed.
> Will use myself and pretend original

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Yeah, you do have to be old enough...
Completely off the topic, but speaking of 'old enough'...
I found that youtube has old episodes of Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts. If you want comedy without 'colorful metaphors', these shows had plenty!

Dan-O (Foster Brooks ribbing Don Rickles is hilarious!)