Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: almost summer weekend wines- PN, Chardonnay, Riesling, more

Friday we had the first of our New Kitchen Thank You dinner- 3 couple who had us over during construction (and helped Betsy pack up before demo). Cooking wine for the duck sauce was the
2015 Mannucci Droandi Chianti Colli Aretini. A little tannin, medium acids, black cherry and a little forest floor. B

We started on patio with:
Pasthourma and fileto
Smoked lard/pickle canapes
Rons home smoked salmon

NV Jose Dhondt Mes Vieilles Vignes Grand Cru Blanc de Blanc Champagne
Hugely popular. Green apple and citrus, just baked brioche, chalky finish. A-/B+

2017 Bart Marsannay Rose
Red cherries, citrus zest, a little herbs. This is nice! B+

First sitdown was Mexican lobster (well, I steamed/picked 2 lobsters, tossed with chipotle mayo and pico de gallo Betsy had made for our fish tacos Wed)

2007 Sauzet Chassagne-Montrachet
Pear and hazelnut, a little lemon, good finish. Nice wine, a pointe, but maybe not best match. B+

2004 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling
I had thought Id brought up the "01, only realized mistake after opening. Better than the white Burg with lobster, but not my favorite CFE, seems to lack a little zip. B/B-

Main was duck breast with a red wine sauce, on duck fat polenta with a salad with green goddess dressing

1993 Drouhin Volnay-Chevret 1er
Doesnt actually say 1er on label, but I think when hyphenated with type same size as vintage understood. Light (12% on label), bright acids, raspberry and cranberry with lots of earth and fallen leaves. Great with duck, nice long finish. A-/B+

2005 Dominique Laurent Cote de Nuits Villages Vieilles Vignes
Cheap from PC back in the day. Full red fruits, some tannin, not especially oaky but kind of generic PN. Others liked more B-

2007 Bize Aux Guettes Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
Another "07 drinking nicely. Black cherry, coffee, a little smoke, long and nicely balanced. B+/A-

2000 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Auslese (375)
Good acid for a 2000, white cherry and green tea, moderate sweetness, surprising length. Overachiever for the vintage. B+

Saturday I was home alone, with leftover duck and greens and the 2013 Ziereisen Schulen Spatburgunder. Cranberry and red cherry, lots of green herbs, fresh and fun. B

Sunday was a scorcher, but humidity was low, so in the shade not too bad. Good thing because I was at a garden party (HS grad). Charcuterie, antipasto, corn salad, cuke salad, skirt steak, and clams. Also some ribs but I managed to miss both trays coming out.

2017 Saint Roch (Loire)
Very light, with a tiny funky note that made me wonder if Grolleau, but Fred says 100% Gamay.
Best think is its cold on a hot day. B-

2017 Juliette rose (not sure if that is brand or producer)
I think this was CdProvence, but unsure. Soft, red fruits, dull rose. C+

2013 Perrin Cotes du Rhone Reserve
I was pleasantly surprised, pretty decent GSM (I assume). Red fruits, herbs, a little plump. B-/B

When I got home and walked dog, wanted another glass. Wanted something cold, so opened the 2016 Sainte Barbe "la Perriere" Vire-Clesse. Full with good acids, pear fruit and wet rocks. Just a little vanilla/toast, good length. Great deal on closeout under $20. B++

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 6/18/18 1:40 PM, DaleW wrote:

> 2007 Bize Aux Guettes Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
> Another "07 drinking nicely. Black cherry, coffee, a little smoke, long and nicely balanced. B+/A-

As much as I love SlB as a region, I don't have any Bize in the cellar.
I've heard good things about the wines, but now I've also heard about
the politics there, so I may not pursue any of the wines.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 2:55:17 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 6/18/18 1:40 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
> > 2007 Bize Aux Guettes Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
> > Another "07 drinking nicely. Black cherry, coffee, a little smoke, long and nicely balanced. B+/A-

> As much as I love SlB as a region, I don't have any Bize in the cellar.
> I've heard good things about the wines, but now I've also heard about
> the politics there, so I may not pursue any of the wines.

Oh dear. what is issue with politics? Is this something new with the widow?
I've already stopped buying Montevertine.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 6/19/18 3:15 PM, DaleW wrote:

> Oh dear. what is issue with politics? Is this something new with the widow?
> I've already stopped buying Montevertine.

I'll try to dig up the thread I'm thinking of, but the gist was that
they were to the far right of FN supporters. Whether that was the now
deceased proprietor or someone else I'll try to resolve. And, yeah, no
more Montevertine in my cellar, despite my love of the wines. I've also
heard worrisome things about Brun, but I can't imagine Dressner
importing someone who supported Le Pen.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 6/19/18 3:15 PM, DaleW wrote:

> Oh dear. what is issue with politics? Is this something new with the widow?
> I've already stopped buying Montevertine.

My bad. It was Pierre Bise in the Loire, not Simon Bize.

Apologies,
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 1:49:29 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 6/19/18 3:15 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
> > Oh dear. what is issue with politics? Is this something new with the widow?
> > I've already stopped buying Montevertine.
> >

> My bad. It was Pierre Bise in the Loire, not Simon Bize.
>
> Apologies,
> Mark Lipton
> --

Thanks. I seem to have a couple of mid-90s Pierre-Bise stickies, but haven't bought in many years. Support for Le Pen doesn;t make me want to search out.

I don't actually try to track the political views of producers I buy, but when someone is as blatantly racist as Manetti was on his own winery's public forum, I find it easy to spend money elsewhere. But I do treasure the Montevertines I had bought previously. Mostly open them at fundraisers devoted to diversity.