Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Friday lunch with 11 1982 Medocs

I seldom take off for a wine lunch, but Mark offered up a 1982 Bordeaux tasting and I couldnt resist. Dave had my car, so Betsy dr0ive Craig and I up. Cheeses (Comte, a Delice soft cheese , and my new fave, Flory's truckle), charcuterie (lonza, bresaola, cecina, pasthourma, pate, head cheese, rillettes, smoked lard), Bucatini alla Amatriciana. Plus a taste of delicious Beluga to start.

NV David Leclapart €śLApotre€ť Champagne
Believe this is non-dosage, but while crisp not the least bit austre. Fresh pear and apple, a little pie dough, smoke and chalk. Liked this a lot B+

1982 Ch. Prieure Lichine
Tart and a little mean, not very 82ish. One person thought corked, I didnt. But that doesnt mean I wanted more. B-/C+

1982 Ch La Lagune
More fruit, a little barnyard, surprisingly a little hard,.B

1982 Ch Sociando Mallet
Barnyard funk, no real Sociando green, a little tailing on finish. Ive had better bottles but this was just drinkable. B-

1982 Ch Batailley
I think only bottle this day Id never had before. I think I could count the Batailleys Ive had on one hand. Resolved tannin, cassis, pencil lead. I think I liked more than most, nice fully mature Pauillac. B+

1982 Ch Beychevelle
Finally, this is what I think "82 claret is supposed to taste like. Lush cassis and black cherry fruit, tobacco, and a little earth. Gets floral in glass, plush wine yet with a backbone. A-

1982 Ch Grand Puy Lacoste
Very Pauillac, black fruit with some cigarbox and pencil lead hovering in background. B+/B

1982 Ch Ducru Beaucaillou
Just lovely. Totally ready but with lots of life left. Black plum and currant, coffee, cigarbox. Long finish. Gets a earthy forest-floor meets truffle note. Very long. A/A-

1982 Ch Pichon Lalande
Lovely, powerful yet elegant, slightly high toned, herby notes over solid dark fruit, classic, A-

The 3 Leovilles were served blind, but others accurately guessed the non-corked wine (and the corked one by elimination):

1982 Ch Leoville Barton
Corked.

1982 Ch Leoville Las Cases
Lots of ripe plush fruit, not so much else going on. Tight? B/B+

1982 Ch Leoville Poyferre
Red and black fruits, saddle, cedar. Lovely showing. A-

Mark had a mystery wine, but I didnt guess on wine as foil slipped and I was pretty sure I knew. After others got wine I guessed "83 on vintage. It was the 1985 Jaboulet €śla Chapelle€ť Hermitage. Dark berry fruit, mint, grilled meat, smoke. Lovely bottle. B+

Really fun afternoon! Thanks to Mark and Nancy for hosting

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 6/9/18 3:33 PM, DaleW wrote:

<SNIP>

Interesting lineup, Dale. Were you at all surprised that many of the
wines didn't show better? Were these cellared upon release or purchased
on the secondary market? I think that I've had the La Lagune, Sociando
Mallet and Pichon Lalande, albeit all in the distant past (before good
storage and the understanding of the benefits of long aging).

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 12:30:12 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 6/9/18 3:33 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Interesting lineup, Dale. Were you at all surprised that many of the
> wines didn't show better? Were these cellared upon release or purchased
> on the secondary market? I think that I've had the La Lagune, Sociando
> Mallet and Pichon Lalande, albeit all in the distant past (before good
> storage and the understanding of the benefits of long aging).
>
> Mark Lipton

I think most of the "bigger boys" had been in Mark's cellars for many years, I think many of "potential sleepers" were more recent. I think he said he's had better bottles of the Prieure-Lichine and the Batailley, I know I've had bottles of the Sociando and the Lagune.
At age 36 there will be variability, and the 82s probably get traded more than most.
The LLC is the most interesting. Is it just shut down, or intrinsicly a little clunky?
But the Poyferre, PLalande, Beychevelle, and Ducru were all at top end of my high expectations.

Friday Lunch Notes for May 2009 Bill S. Wine 0 09-05-2009 05:17 PM
Friday Lunch PeterL General Cooking 0 15-12-2006 02:43 AM
Friday's lunch for the guys... Syssi General Cooking 0 05-02-2006 03:19 PM
Lunch on the first Friday of Lent at Dońa Martha's house Rolly Mexican Cooking 2 12-02-2005 05:24 PM
FS: 1982 Don't Eat Your Heart Out Cookbook SC 1982 katie-mae Marketplace 0 28-05-2004 05:29 PM