Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: NYS wines (plus 1 Niagara)

Local group met, theme being NY State and Canadian wines. Fred hosted, put out salmon spread, hummus, and tapenade; later he grilled sausage and chicken

2017 Salmon Run (Dr. K. Frank) Rose (Finger Lakes)
Soft, edge of sweetness, red fruits. B-/C+

Rest were blind

2017 One Woman Rose (North Fork)
A bit crisper than the FL rose (would have guessed other way around), herby.. B-

2016 One Woman Gruner Veltliner (North Fork)
Moderate acids, pear and citrus, not very Gruner ish but tasty. B

2015 Norman Hardy Chardonnay (Niagara )
Buttery oak, vanilla, modest acids, big but short. I though NF Chard C+

2015 Duck Walk Pinot Grigio (Hamptons)
A wine to make you appreciate Sta. Marg. Low acid, sweet, short. C+

2014 Eminence Road €śElizabeths Vineyard€ť Cabernet Franc (Finger Lakes)
Mine, had some time in decanter. Raspberry green tobacco and herbs, balanced and fun. B+

2015 Hearts and Hands Pinot Noir (Finger Lakes)
Fresh, crisp cherry, some herbs. B+/B

2014 Onabay Cabernet Franc (North Fork)
Light, acids a little disjointed, but some nice cranberry fruit. B-

2015 Eminence Road €śElizabeths Vineyard€ť Cabernet Sauvignon (Finger Lakes)
Soft cassis, some herb. I guessed NF Merlot B/B-

There was a terrible Merlot, but I didnt write down name. Somehow I thought someone said it was Pinot Project, but that makes no sense.

Fun night, though I would have preferred if there wasnt a downpour during walk home

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 6/4/18 1:18 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Local group met, theme being NY State and Canadian wines. Fred hosted, put out salmon spread, hummus, and tapenade; later he grilled sausage and chicken
>
> 2017 Salmon Run (Dr. K. Frank) Rose (Finger Lakes)
> Soft, edge of sweetness, red fruits. B-/C+
>
> Rest were blind
>
> 2017 One Woman Rose (North Fork)
> A bit crisper than the FL rose (would have guessed other way around), herby. B-
>
> 2016 One Woman Gruner Veltliner (North Fork)
> Moderate acids, pear and citrus, not very Gruner ish but tasty. B
>
> 2015 Norman Hardy Chardonnay (Niagara )
> Buttery oak, vanilla, modest acids, big but short. I though NF Chard C+
>
> 2015 Duck Walk Pinot Grigio (Hamptons)
> A wine to make you appreciate Sta. Marg. Low acid, sweet, short. C+
>
> 2014 Eminence Road €śElizabeths Vineyard€ť Cabernet Franc (Finger Lakes)
> Mine, had some time in decanter. Raspberry green tobacco and herbs, balanced and fun. B+
>
> 2015 Hearts and Hands Pinot Noir (Finger Lakes)
> Fresh, crisp cherry, some herbs. B+/B
>
> 2014 Onabay Cabernet Franc (North Fork)
> Light, acids a little disjointed, but some nice cranberry fruit. B-
>
> 2015 Eminence Road €śElizabeths Vineyard€ť Cabernet Sauvignon (Finger Lakes)
> Soft cassis, some herb. I guessed NF Merlot B/B-
>
> There was a terrible Merlot, but I didnt write down name. Somehow I thought someone said it was Pinot Project, but that makes no sense.
>
> Fun night, though I would have preferred if there wasnt a downpour during walk home
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

We are going to a Society of Wine Educators in Rochester then on to the
Finger Lakes for wine touring. Not too impressed with this set of wines.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:30:25 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> We are going to a Society of Wine Educators in Rochester then on to the
> Finger Lakes for wine touring. Not too impressed with this set of wines.

I think if you are in FL and concentrate on Riesling (and maybe Cab Franc for reds), you can do better than this group.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:41:31 AM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:30:25 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>

> > We are going to a Society of Wine Educators in Rochester then on to the
> > Finger Lakes for wine touring. Not too impressed with this set of wines.

> I think if you are in FL and concentrate on Riesling (and maybe Cab Franc for reds), you can do better than this group.

Your group probably has stuff set up, but if not could try Ravines, Wiemer, Dr. K Frank, Forge, Fox Run etc. I do like Eminence Road Farms but their actual winery isn't in FL.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 6/5/18 12:41 PM, DaleW wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:41:31 AM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:30:25 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>>

>>> We are going to a Society of Wine Educators in Rochester then on to the
>>> Finger Lakes for wine touring. Not too impressed with this set of wines.

>> I think if you are in FL and concentrate on Riesling (and maybe Cab Franc for reds), you can do better than this group.

> Your group probably has stuff set up, but if not could try Ravines, Wiemer, Dr. K Frank, Forge, Fox Run etc. I do like Eminence Road Farms but their actual winery isn't in FL.

Thanks. We have booked Ravines, Dr. K Frank and Eminence Farms. Will
check out the others.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 10:39:54 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> Thanks. We have booked Ravines, Dr. K Frank and Eminence Farms. Will
> check out the others.

Wow, Eminence Road Farm is a heckuva drive from FL. Say hi to A & J for me

Niagara VQAs Chuck Reid Wine 3 31-08-2010 03:16 PM
Niagara Ice Wines Richard Neidich Wine 3 02-07-2009 03:23 PM
Niagara Ice Wines Richard Neidich Wine 5 19-06-2009 08:34 PM
niagara wine anyone? MOhar871 Winemaking 33 18-11-2004 09:36 PM
Niagara Juice Localnet Winemaking 4 01-10-2004 01:31 PM