Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Northern Rhones at Racines NYC

Ramon organized a group for a Northern Rhone dinner at Racines last night. Old friends, a few New Yorkers I hadnt met before, and even one Rhonehead down from Boston. Fun group, though as usual with a long table most of my interaction was with one side. Some back and forth about what was available a la carte, but I was happy with my duck crisp appetizer and cote de boeuf.

MV Krug Grande Cuvee Lot 164
I was curious to try after all the hype. Im not the biggest Krug fan but this "08 base is touted as atypical. I thought the nose gorgeous and complex, and it seemed more lithe than most Krug. Very good. But I have 2 bottles and couldnt help thinking I could have bought 2 bottles of Comtes instead and had money left over. B+

NV Benoit Lahaye €śViolaine€ť
A bit stern and austere at first, but I liked a lot more on revisit. Green apple and citrus, bright, low dosage. B+

The reds

1983 Jaboulet €śThalabert€ť Crozes-Hermitage
This smelled good when double-decanted about 3 (tons of fine sediment), but I was a little worried at first pour, there seemed to be a slight stewed note. But it blows off leaving a nice wine. Good acid backbone, with a lot of those Thalabert meaty/mushroom notes. B+

1991 Ogier Cote-Rotie
Exotic nose , with spice and black olives. Mid-bodied, tannins mostly resolved, spicy red fruit. Elegant A-/B+

1999 Gallet Cote-Rotie
Not really a producer Ive had experience with. A little more rustic, hint of barnyard, but nice solid core. Fun. B+/B

1996 Jamet Cote-Rotie
The two Jamets showed very similar, very classic profiles. Lots of bacon, olive, herb. The "96 was maybe a touch lighter and higher acid, but only by a hair B+.A-
1998 Jamet Cote-Rotie
A tiny bit fuller, hint of merde, cant say I liked one better than other. B+/A-

1998 Clape Cornas
Firm, full, dark berries, muscular style. B+

1999 Noel Verset Cornas
Olives and meat, lots of structure, dynamite but could use time. A-/B+

2000 Noel Verset Cornas
Seamless, just in a perfect place, elegant and classic,. A-

1998 Allemand €śReynard€ť Cornas
Big,meaty, a bit tight. B+

This is as far as I got on notes last night. The final flight was 1994 Chave Hermitage, 1995 Chave Hermitage, and 1998 Chave Hermitage. All showed beautifully, with the 95 challenging the 00 Verset for my wine of the night. From memory "94 A-/B+, 95 A-, 98 B+.

Quite the night. Not a single wine that I wouldn't have happily drunk any meal. Nice group, good time. The only downer was remembering what these used to cost.

TN: Northern Rhones at Racines NYC DaleW[_2_] Wine 3 15-05-2018 11:45 PM
TN: Northern Rhones at Racines in NYC DaleW Wine 4 16-09-2015 07:54 PM
Northern Rhones Bill S. Wine 0 16-03-2011 03:15 PM
Northern Rhones Bill S. Wine 3 08-05-2006 02:59 PM
Northern Rhones Bill Spohn Wine 6 25-08-2004 06:25 PM