FoodBanter.com

-   -   Alsace Wine Label Question (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/443489-alsace-wine-label-question.html)

cruciverbalist 10-04-2018 08:23 PM

Alsace Wine Label Question

Hi all. My wife and I just enjoyed a bottle of 2012 Domaine Ehrhart
Pinot Gris. Written on the label, under the line Pinot Gris and above
the line 2012, is IM BERG. What does that mean/signify? I know that
berg can usually mean town or village. But what is IM? Is that the
name of a village? Or does it mean something altogether different?

TIA,
Jack

Mark Lipton[_1_] 10-04-2018 09:41 PM

Alsace Wine Label Question

On 4/10/18 3:23 PM, cruciverbalist wrote:
> Hi all. My wife and I just enjoyed a bottle of 2012 Domaine Ehrhart
> Pinot Gris. Written on the label, under the line Pinot Gris and above
> the line 2012, is IM BERG. What does that mean/signify? I know that
> berg can usually mean town or village. But what is IM? Is that the
> name of a village? Or does it mean something altogether different?

"im" in German is short for "in dem" (in the), so "im Berg" means "in
the town"

HTH
Mark Lipton

Eric Lafontaine[_2_] 10-04-2018 10:06 PM

Alsace Wine Label Question

On 2018-04-10 21:23, cruciverbalist wrote:
> Hi all. My wife and I just enjoyed a bottle of 2012 Domaine Ehrhart
> Pinot Gris. Written on the label, under the line Pinot Gris and above
> the line 2012, is IM BERG. What does that mean/signify? I know that
> berg can usually mean town or village. But what is IM? Is that the
> name of a village? Or does it mean something altogether different?

Quite a few "domaine Ehrhart", but it is quite probable that in any case
"Im Berg" is the name of a parcel without special ranking (meaning no
grand cru level)

"Im" is the contracted form of the German "in dem", i.e. "in the", and
"Berg" is mount, mountain, slope or anything similar, so not in the
(usually less favored) lower places in the valley

Town/village is "Burg"

Apologies for the wrong direct reply, I just found out about Thunderbird
now using "Followup" instead of "Reply" for newsgroups

--
Éric Lafontaine

cruciverbalist 11-04-2018 01:21 PM

Alsace Wine Label Question

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 23:06:19 +0200, Eric Lafontaine
> wrote:

>On 2018-04-10 21:23, cruciverbalist wrote:
>> Hi all. My wife and I just enjoyed a bottle of 2012 Domaine Ehrhart
>> Pinot Gris. Written on the label, under the line Pinot Gris and above
>> the line 2012, is IM BERG. What does that mean/signify? I know that
>> berg can usually mean town or village. But what is IM? Is that the
>> name of a village? Or does it mean something altogether different?

>Quite a few "domaine Ehrhart", but it is quite probable that in any case
>"Im Berg" is the name of a parcel without special ranking (meaning no
>grand cru level)
>
>"Im" is the contracted form of the German "in dem", i.e. "in the", and
>"Berg" is mount, mountain, slope or anything similar, so not in the
>(usually less favored) lower places in the valley
>
>Town/village is "Burg"
>
>Apologies for the wrong direct reply, I just found out about Thunderbird
>now using "Followup" instead of "Reply" for newsgroups

Thank you Mark and Eric for your replies.

Jack

Mark Lipton[_1_] 11-04-2018 06:28 PM

Alsace Wine Label Question

On 4/10/18 5:06 PM, Eric Lafontaine wrote:

> "Im" is the contracted form of the German "in dem", i.e. "in the", and
> "Berg" is mount, mountain, slope or anything similar, so not in the
> (usually less favored) lower places in the valley

In older German, Berg was also used to refer to walled towns and cities.
So, for instance, the old Prussian city of Königsberg (now Kaliningrad)
and Nuremberg, to name a few. Context is hey here. Vineyards are more
likely to planted on mountains rather than in walled cities (I wonder if
Berg might be the German equivalent of "Clos"?), but in that case I'd
expect to see "am Berg" rather than "im Berg." Prepositions are always
dicey to translate, though, so perhaps your reading is the most sensible.

> Apologies for the wrong direct reply, I just found out about Thunderbird
> now using "Followup" instead of "Reply" for newsgroups

Strangely, I did *exactly* the same thing.

Mark Lipton

Eric Lafontaine[_2_] 11-04-2018 08:43 PM

Alsace Wine Label Question

On 2018-04-11 19:28, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 4/10/18 5:06 PM, Eric Lafontaine wrote:
>
>> "Im" is the contracted form of the German "in dem", i.e. "in the", and
>> "Berg" is mount, mountain, slope or anything similar, so not in the
>> (usually less favored) lower places in the valley

> In older German, Berg was also used to refer to walled towns and cities.
> So, for instance, the old Prussian city of Königsberg (now Kaliningrad)
> and Nuremberg, to name a few. Context is hey here. Vineyards are more
> likely to planted on mountains rather than in walled cities (I wonder if
> Berg might be the German equivalent of "Clos"?), but in that case I'd
> expect to see "am Berg" rather than "im Berg." Prepositions are always
> dicey to translate, though, so perhaps your reading is the most sensible.

It's been some 30 years since I actively practiced (contemporary)
German, but your am/im remark definitely makes a lot of sense, and your
reading is thus most probably the most sensible one.

--
Éric Lafontaine