Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wine with friends- Piedmont, CdP, Bdx, Chablis, Kremstal

With my lack of kitchen and Betsy away, friends invited me for dinner.
Marinated shrimp, artichokes
Prosecco Extra Dry that I wrote down as Franco di Rao, but cant find any records of anything close to that on CT or Winesearcher.Doesn't matter- It was forgettable wine.

Rigtatoni with meat sauce (fennel sausage and ground pork)
2001 Sella Lessona
Really in a nice place, red cherry, tar, and flowers, resolved tannins, balanced acid. B+/A-

2005 Valfieri Barolo
Midbodied, fairly open, some tannin, black cherry. B/B-

1996 Talbot (375 ml)
Pretty classic claret- cassis, cigarbox, leather. Fully mature from half. B+

Saturday I grilled some sausage & squash, reheated some quinoa, made salad.

1993 Salomon Undhof Kogl Library Release Riesling
Released about a dozen years ago, hasnt progressed much since then.. Grapefruit, ginger, light honey note (though pretty dry). Modest finish, competent if unexciting. B-

Betsy came home from a concert in Pocantico Hills bearing lobster. Didnt think the Riesling was best match, 2013 Fevre €śles Clos€ť Chablis Grand Cru. Really young, pit fruits, great mineral finish, taut. A-/B+

Betsy, Ruby, and I walked over hill for a dinner party Sunday night.
As folks gathered, some excellent crudite as well as other snacks, and the NV Evohe X Cava Brut Nature. Brut Nature? Seems pretty sweet to me. Appley, not too attractive. C+/B-

With chateaubriand, €śParty potatoes€ť (sour cream and cream cheese), salad, and asparagus

1986 Meyney
This caught me a little by surprise, delicious as always, but I think of this as a cassis driven wine and this seemed more red fruited. Cherry and rich raspberry, leather, tobacco. Balanced and with a nice finish. Tasty mature claret. B+

2000 Lava Cap €śGranite Hill Reserve€ť Petite Sirah
This was tannic in youth and I put away, but didnt really plan on this long. It actually has held up ok, just not improved. Less tannic, but a bit hot and jammy. Others liked much more than I did. B-/C+

2004 Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Kirsch and strawberry, quite herbal, midbodied, some forest floor and mushroom. Nicely balanced, ready to go. B+/B

2010 La Rioja Alta €śAlberdi€ť Rioja Reserva
Popped and poured at end of night, think this would have benefited from air.. Vanillin oak and red fruit, stern. Only had a quick sip, would like to explore another time

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/9/18 3:53 PM, DaleW wrote:

> 2001 Sella Lessona
> Really in a nice place, red cherry, tar, and flowers, resolved tannins, balanced acid. B+/A-

I love those Sella wines, but I haven't read much about recent vintages.
Has there been a change in winemaking there?

> Betsy, Ruby, and I walked over hill for a dinner party Sunday night.

Ruby? Is she a new dog around the house? I feel like I may have missed
something. If so, apologies.

> 1986 Meyney
> This caught me a little by surprise, delicious as always, but I think of this as a cassis driven wine and this seemed more red fruited. Cherry and rich raspberry, leather, tobacco. Balanced and with a nice finish. Tasty mature claret. B+

Sounds great. I think that I have a bottle of '86 Gruaud-Larose still
in the cellar (it'll probably outlive me).

As always, thanks for the notes, Dale.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 4:12:13 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:

> I love those Sella wines, but I haven't read much about recent vintages.
> Has there been a change in winemaking there?

No idea, I always bought at Chambers, but haven't noticed them offered in recent vintages

> > Betsy, Ruby, and I walked over hill for a dinner party Sunday night.

> Ruby? Is she a new dog around the house? I feel like I may have missed
> something. If so, apologies.

Yes, sadly Lucy had to be put down early last year. She was happy and chipper even at 14, but then got pancreatitis. We were going to take a break from dog for a while, and maybe not do Bassets, plan lasted about 2 weeks till I came home to find Betsy watching Basset puppy videos. A bit of searching, 2 months after Lucy we rescued Ruby, she was 5 1/2 months (someone got puppy from breeder as Christms present for small kids, then discovered what that was like). She;s 1.5 years now, very happy dog. If you come to NY and visit again, she'd like to meet you (we can open an ESJ Bassetti)

> Sounds great. I think that I have a bottle of '86 Gruaud-Larose still
> in the cellar (it'll probably outlive me).

The whole Cordier stable (Meyney, Gruaud, Talbot) did so great that year. The Gruaud especially, though all offered great value (Gruaud 86 is getting expensive now)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/9/18 9:43 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Yes, sadly Lucy had to be put down early last year. She was happy and

chipper even at 14, but then got pancreatitis. We were going to take a
break from dog for a while, and maybe not do Bassets, plan lasted about
2 weeks till I came home to find Betsy watching Basset puppy videos. A
bit of searching, 2 months after Lucy we rescued Ruby, she was 5 1/2
months (someone got puppy from breeder as Christms present for small
kids, then discovered what that was like). She;s 1.5 years now, very
happy dog. If you come to NY and visit again, she'd like to meet you (we
can open an ESJ Bassetti)

I dimly recall your posting about Lucy, but I somehow missed the
adoption. Congrats to you all, Dale. I'm sure that Ruby will have a
great life with you and Betsy (and hopefully Betsy can lay off the
bassett videos for another decade or two -- very touching story)

> The whole Cordier stable (Meyney, Gruaud, Talbot) did so great that

year. The Gruaud especially, though all offered great value (Gruaud 86
is getting expensive now)

This was a bottle I bought on release at North Berkeley Wines while a
penurious postdoc at Berkeley. I believe the price paid was $35. Since
we don't drink as much claret as we used to (less red meat in the diet)
no problem hanging onto this and other bottles.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/9/18 7:43 PM, DaleW wrote:
> On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 4:12:13 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
>>
>> I love those Sella wines, but I haven't read much about recent vintages.
>> Has there been a change in winemaking there?
>>

> No idea, I always bought at Chambers, but haven't noticed them offered in recent vintages
>>
>>> Betsy, Ruby, and I walked over hill for a dinner party Sunday night.

>> Ruby? Is she a new dog around the house? I feel like I may have missed
>> something. If so, apologies.
>>

> Yes, sadly Lucy had to be put down early last year. She was happy and chipper even at 14, but then got pancreatitis. We were going to take a break from dog for a while, and maybe not do Bassets, plan lasted about 2 weeks till I came home to find Betsy watching Basset puppy videos. A bit of searching, 2 months after Lucy we rescued Ruby, she was 5 1/2 months (someone got puppy from breeder as Christms present for small kids, then discovered what that was like). She;s 1.5 years now, very happy dog. If you come to NY and visit again, she'd like to meet you (we can open an ESJ Bassetti)
>>
>> Sounds great. I think that I have a bottle of '86 Gruaud-Larose still
>> in the cellar (it'll probably outlive me).
>>

> The whole Cordier stable (Meyney, Gruaud, Talbot) did so great that year. The Gruaud especially, though all offered great value (Gruaud 86 is getting expensive now)

Thanks to Mark for asking the question before I did. sorry to hear about
Lucy but a Basset puppy is fun. Enjoy your new friend with great wine.