Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 16 bottles of Tuscan (and 1 lone Champagne) at Il Corso NYC

Our Bordeaux group met at Il Corso last night for Tuscan night. While we gathered:

The 2008 Pierre Péters lès Chétillons Blanc de Blancs is a baby but a tasty baby. Chalk, ciabatta, and citrus peel over clean apple fruit. A-

2015 Isole E Olena Collezione Privata
Tuscan Chardonnay, some sweet fruit and new oak but good acidic backbone. Not buttery or heavy. Style reminds me a bit of Montelena. B

On to the reds. The 1999 Fontodi Flaccianello was unfortunately immediately flagged as corked, too bad as I always liked this wine

I started with fried gnocchi with a black truffle sauce

1990 Ruffino Ducale Oro Chianti Classico Riserva
Some black plum fruit, leather, dirt, hint of merde. A bit thin in midpalate. B/B-

1990 Conti Costanti Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
Some barnyard but lovely black cherry and leather, well balanced, ready. B+

1981 Biondi Santi Brunello di Montalcino
Red fruit, sandalwood, mushrooms. Elegant and balanced, mature but not tired. A-

1981 Badia a Coltibuono Chianti Classico Riserva.
Initial nose was VA and maderized to me, but perked up a bit. Credible showing for almost 40 but tired. B-/C+

My main was a skirt steak special, with red wine sauce and potatoes

1978 Antinori Tignanello
I liked more than some others. On the far end of maturity but this had interest in a rather feminine/lighter style. Crushed red berries, coffee, and earth, with a funky edge. B+/B.

1997 Antinori Tignanello
Corked

2006 Antonori Tignanello
Pretty tight, but nice wine underneath. Black cherrry, cassis, coffee, and just a little vanilla, but mostly just lurking. ???

2006 Montevertine Pergole Torte
A bit tight, mid-bodied, cherry and herbs, an exotic spicy note. Good length. Happy to have mag of this (I think last Montevertine purchase before I started boycotting). A-/B+

2008 Montevertine Pergole Torte
A little bigger and more open, black cherry with an almost eucalyptus herb note. Long and tasty. B+

1997 Antinori Solaia
Currant and coffee, structured, long. Others liked more than I did. B

1999 Castello dei Rampolla Sammarco
Red and black cherry, mocha and earth. Modern but civilized. B+/A-

2008 Castiglion del Bosco Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Millecento
Huge fruit, big tannin, unrecognizable at Sangiovese to me. Impressive wine that is just totally not in my style. Bottle very impressive for its weight if that is your kind of thing. C+

2009 Fontodi Flaccianello
Big, powerful, balanced, young. B+

2010 Tenuta Col d'Orcia Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Poggio al Vento.
Big, tannic, but more recognizably Sangiovese, in a midmodern style. B+/B

Fun night, fun group, and Il Corso did great job with service.

WOTN voting
"81 Biondi Santi 20 pts
"97 Solaia 17
1999 Sammarco 12