Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 Pomerols and 1 "Cave des Pomerol" (?!?!), Loire, Minervois,Baden sticky

Thursday AM was spent shoveling snow, shoulder was a bit sore and I thought it affected my mood. Made dinner for Betsy and I (shrimp/clam/fennel pasta) and opened the 2016 Pepiere La Pepie Muscadet. Light, easy, saline, but about halfway through meal (and first glass) I realized I was ill. So left remainder, Betsy used for cooking next 2 nights. I didnt make any notes at time, but think a pretty credible effort in a tough year.

By Saturday I was better, a couple of friends helped Betsy start packing up kitchen to prepare for dinner, we had helpers and their spouses for dinner.. Starter was smoked salmon on toast with a little mustard/horseradish sauce, and a summer truffle €śsalsa€ť on toast

2010 Yann Alexander Blanc de Blancs Champagne. Acids and tight bubbles, bright, green apple, slightly shrill but fun. B

Main was meatloaf, with mashed potato/turnips, broccoli and salad.
1989 Ch. Gazin
Nice showing with black plums, cocoa, and a distinct smoke note. Tannins have mostly receded, good finish, gets a bit herby at end. B+

2012 Calluna Cuvee CVC
Nice Bdx blend, black cherry and plum, a bit of vanilla/oak but not overwhelming, good acids, nice framing of tannin. B/B+

Sunday we walked over to some friends for a nice dinner party. Started with liver mousse and garlic pesto canapes

NV Guillot Champagne Brut
Appley, sweet, a bit coarse, C+/B-

2016 Caves de Pomerol Picpoul de Pinet
Light, citrus and kiwi, easy. B-

Then to table, where we started with an excellent scallop carpaccio
2016 Michel Vattan €śCalcaire€ť Sancerre
Apples, grass, just a hint of gooseberry. Moderate ripeness, not really a mineral Sancerre. B-

Delicious butterflied Catskill chicken, a Thai risotto (broth had coconut milk & lemongrass added), and Swiss chard.
2001 Ch. Bourgneuf
Still some tannin, but open and inviting. Red and black plum, a ferric mineral note, some green garden herbs with air. Not a headturner but a solid value Pomerol. Drink or hold. B+

2015 Ch., Maris (Minervois)
Label proclaims Biodynamic Syrah-Grenache is large print (much larger than producer or appellation). Actually pretty decent in a typical southern/Languedoc ripe style, with a peppery note. B/B+

And with a selection of Bobolink cheeses
1999 Kiechlinsberger Olberg Gewurztraminer Eiswein (Baden) (500 ml I think)
Others liked this, certainly alive, with some tropical fruit and marzipan notes, but I didnt find at all complex., and not noticably Gewurz-ish. B-/C+

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/27/18 2:41 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Thursday AM was spent shoveling snow, shoulder was a bit sore and I thought it affected my mood. Made dinner for Betsy and I (shrimp/clam/fennel pasta) and opened the 2016 Pepiere La Pepie Muscadet. Light, easy, saline, but about halfway through meal (and first glass) I realized I was ill. So left remainder, Betsy used for cooking next 2 nights. I didnt make any notes at time, but think a pretty credible effort in a tough year.

Sorry to hear about the illness, Dale. Regarding, La Pepie, despite the
very loving description found on CSW's website, Jeff Grossman and others
have not found much appeal in this bottling. I'll be interested to hear
about it again if you open up another. Tough year indeed!

> By Saturday I was better, a couple of friends helped Betsy start packing up kitchen to prepare for dinner, we had helpers and their spouses for dinner. Starter was smoked salmon on toast with a little mustard/horseradish sauce, and a summer truffle €śsalsa€ť on toast
>
> 2010 Yann Alexander Blanc de Blancs Champagne. Acids and tight bubbles, bright, green apple, slightly shrill but fun. B

Is this the "Courmas" bottling? I see a note on CT from "Blanquito" on
this wine from an event at your place. More generally, I've found Fass
Selections to be an excellent source of BdB non-dosé fizz that appeals
to our taste. I'm not so sure about his tastes in Beaujolais and the
jury's still out on his Burgundy and Rhone selections (no qualms about
his Rieslings and Spätburgunders, though).

Thanks, as always, for the interesting notes!

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 3:44:16 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 3/27/18 2:41 PM, DaleW wrote:
> > 2016 Pepiere La Pepie Muscadet. Light, easy, saline,

Regarding, La Pepie, despite the
> very loving description found on CSW's website, Jeff Grossman and others
> have not found much appeal in this bottling. I'll be interested to hear
> about it again if you open up another. Tough year indeed!

I didn;t really care for the '15 (and saw recent poor note from Florida Jim on WB) but thought this was credible effort. Think I have one more, we'll see.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/2/18 5:40 PM, DaleW wrote:
> On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 3:44:16 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
>> On 3/27/18 2:41 PM, DaleW wrote:
>>> 2016 Pepiere La Pepie Muscadet. Light, easy, saline,

> Regarding, La Pepie, despite the
>> very loving description found on CSW's website, Jeff Grossman and others
>> have not found much appeal in this bottling. I'll be interested to hear
>> about it again if you open up another. Tough year indeed!
>>

> I didn;t really care for the '15 (and saw recent poor note from Florida Jim on WB) but thought this was credible effort. Think I have one more, we'll see.

So, I went out and bought a bottle just to see. Not what I expected from
previous bottlings. Very disappointing. Just a bad vintage or a change
in wine making?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/3/18 1:33 PM, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> So, I went out and bought a bottle just to see. Not what I expected from
> previous bottlings. Very disappointing. Just a bad vintage or a change
> in wine making?

Larry, are you talking about the La Pepie bottling? If so, it's only
been made in '15 and '16 IIRC. The '16 was made as an emergency measure
in a very difficult year and shouldn't be taken as indicative of
anything beyond the difficult year IMO.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Agreed. I talked to the local merchant from whom I bought this and he
told me the same thing. Good, because I like Clos Pepie.

On 4/6/18 10:46 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 4/3/18 1:33 PM, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>

>> So, I went out and bought a bottle just to see. Not what I expected from
>> previous bottlings. Very disappointing. Just a bad vintage or a change
>> in wine making?

> Larry, are you talking about the La Pepie bottling? If so, it's only
> been made in '15 and '16 IIRC. The '16 was made as an emergency measure
> in a very difficult year and shouldn't be taken as indicative of
> anything beyond the difficult year IMO.
>
> Mark Lipton

TN: Sicily, Loire, Baden, Rheingau, Burg, Bdx, Napa DaleW Wine 0 20-03-2017 08:30 PM
Awesome "sticky chicken" mikek Recipes 2 16-11-2010 03:09 PM
WTN: BiL's 50th, w/'59 Primitivo, plus Burg, Germans, "old" CdP, Bdx,Loire, Prosecco DaleW Wine 6 14-09-2009 07:01 PM
"A 1999 Pomerol wine from Bordeaux and Coquilles St. Jacques scallopsset the refined tone for their cordial, if not overly gushing, exchange." [email protected] Wine 9 10-04-2009 06:15 AM
TN: 99 Gerard Bertrand Minervois AOC "Le Viala" T. Autischer Wine 3 29-01-2007 09:36 PM