Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Barolo, white Burgs, Quincy, and a tale of 2 labels (86 Rauzan Segla)

With grilled rainbow trout, rice with furikake, and salad, the 2015 Mardon Tres Vieilles Vignes Quincy was a great value. Light, bright, citrus and quince, just a touch of grassiness. B/B+

2015 Dr Wagner Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett
Bright, light, sweet with peach and green apple. Sprightly, this really tastes like Kab. Not really complex, but tasty. B+/B

Sunday was my birthday, but Saturday night worked better for a dinner party.. 4 other couples were coming, but one person got sick, so we had a total of 9 for dinner.

Starters were smoked salmon or trout canapes, bresaola, fromage de tete, and the NV
Pierre Morlet Champagne 1er Cru Grande Reserve Champagne Brut (mag), 74% Pinot Noir, 26% Chardonnay. This is several years old (Ive had at least 4 years, and it was an auction buy then) but didnt show age. Good crispness, apple and citrus, but the dosage is definitely too high from me and I find sweet and simple. 74% Pinot Noir & 26% Chardonnay. B-/C+

First sitdown courses were steamed king crab legs and a caprese salad.

2010 Jean Noel Gagnard Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Maltroye (mag)
Young, full, rich with pear, green apple, and citrus zest. Some vanilla oak notes, very long. Nice balance of acid and fruit, if it wasnt for premox Id try to age my other one. But a pretty delicious young Chassagne. A-

2001 Remi Jobard Le Poruzot-Dessus Meursault 1er
Pear and hazelnut, mature but not oxidized, round and a little empty. Others liked more. B-

Main course was porterhouse, kobacha/chickpea/tahini salad, and greens (tat soi and spinach).

2004 Giovanni Rosso Serralunga Barolo (mag)
decanted about 3 hours. Black cherry and black plum, a touch of tar, spicy. Already drinking well, though there's enough tannin to suggest holding for a while. Enjoyable, B+

1986 Ch. Rauzan-Segla (Margaux)
So when I decided I wanted a mature claret I was looking at possibilities. Ive always loved the "86 RS, but noticed I have 2 different labels:
https://goo.gl/exhqi7

Possibly counterfeit, but I opened the one with the new style label. Had stamped estate cork, and tasted like my memories of '86 RS (though I understand that tasting is a poor form of authentication, even for better tasters than me) . My guess is both are legit, but this is a late release, possibly to another market. Cassis, tobacco, that perfumed Margaux berry note, a little leather. Nice texture, plush. Good finish. A-

2016 Arregi Getariako Txakoli Rose
Light, crisp, slightly spritzy, touch of sweetness, cherries and strawberries. B-