Marco B.

What a load of rubbish.

Are you an idiot?

I am a 26 years old Australian of Italian origins. I was born here in
Adelaide. My father was also born in Australia. My gradfather came to
Australia in 1946 with his uncle.

Although we take our heritage seriously, Australia was the best thing that
ever happened to us.

For you to think that Italy has the best of everything, you must be stupid.

When we visit family, we always take some of the local wine and oilve oil
back with us.

At first we were laughed at: nobody laughs anymore.

Just out of Adelaide, there is another ex-Italian winemaker who makes a
shiraz and sangiovese blend he calls Il Briccone and whenwe go back, we are
now asked "Avete portato il briccone?"

THere are thousands of Italian Australians who immigrated here in the 1950s
and 1960s who will support Italy 100%, but never when they compete against
Australia.

In sport, in business, in food and wine, we just love this place.

And as to your hatred of things french, well my wife is french and she is
the best thing that happened to me, after Australia.

I have been to france with her and it is a wonderful place.

Hoiw can you write such bullshit when you have never been there

Marco Bertalini
Australian & proud

"Uranium Committee" > wrote in message
om...
> (th_duck) wrote in message

. com>...

> [...]

country.

http://www.bbr.com/US/db/product/50769B?ID=null

> http://www.italianwinemerchant.com/F...ntini_Page.htm
>
> Not that white wine really matters...
>
> > Where is Italy's Alsace? If we want to ga back to the reds,
> > name me some great Italian Pinot noir producers...

> Uh, what? Why would they produce that crap, when they have all the
> best red wine grapes, which are all native to Italy?
>
> Barbera
> Dolcetto
> Nebbiolo
> Sangiovese
> Aglianico
> Negro Amaro
> Cannonou
> etc., etc., etc.

also

and

> > > Another outright lie. Italy has more grapes and varieties than any

other country.

> > The operative phrase is "profound bottles of more different varieties"
> > with the emphasis on "profound" Again show me Italy's great
> > Gewertztraminers and Rieslings.

> You make me laugh. Real wine is RED, Bucko!
>
> > Pinot Grigio does not hold a candle to
> > great Alsatian Pinot Gris. Italian Chardonnay is way behind the
> > French. I have no animus towards Italy. I love a great Barolo,
> > Barbaresco, and Chianti as much as the next guy...I even like a nice
> > Amarone now and again, but that is all Italian wine holds for me. I
> > never buy an Italian white except for the occasional Arneis because
> > quite honestly they are not very interesting.

> Try a Vermentino di Sardegna from Argiolas...or the Tuscan Vermentino
>
> > Also (and this is diverging a bit), If your myriad of Italian
> > varieties have such widespread appeal, why have they not caught on in
> > either Australia or America. You don't see great new plantings of
> > Nebbiolo in Napa and most of the briefly captivating Sangiovese is now
> > being ripped up. What are vintners planting? Yep, more French
> > Varieties...sorry to say, but just about everyone in the new world is
> > following the lead of the French.

> Uh, I'm talking about ITALIAN WINE, not Italian grapes grown
> elsewhere......
>

> > Michael Leduc

> Typical deluded American....
>
> You probably participate in 'tastings', don't you?

john shaw

Marco,

Don't fall for this troll.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:26:18 +1300, Marco B. > wrote:

> What a load of rubbish.
>
> Are you an idiot?

No, he's an ignorant Bigot. I've seen them in France where they criticise
American wines for not being French, I've seen them in America where they
criticise French wines for not being American, but I have to admit, he's
the first (Look for posts under the name of Mike Scarpiti if you want to
see the deapths of inanity to which he sinks) who criticises all other
wines for not being Italian.

> Hoiw can you write such bullshit when you have never been there

Bigotry has no relationship with truth. Just do like everyone else,
killfile the idiot and then I won't have to read his crap via your quotes.

All the best
Ian Hoare

Timothy Hartley

Has anyone else drunk the 1998 Magdelaine which apparently started this
thread?
If so do they agree that it was simply not ready, in the sense that it had
probably passed that stage of youthful freshness when it could have been
drunk with some pleasure, albeit much less than awaits in years to come, and
had not reached maturity?

Do you think it's a shame that most winemakers release wine so soon rather
than waiting for it to be ready to drink? Perhaps the fact that those, at
least those of whom I am aware at the middling level, who do not release
before maturity fail to obtain a premium in the market indicates that I am
alone in this view.

Timothy Hartley
Dale Williams

I haven't had the '98 Magdelaine, but most better '98 Right Bank wines are not
in a good place right now. I agree- drink within year or so of release, or
ignore for 10.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

th_duck

(Uranium Committee) wrote in message . com>...

(th_duck) wrote in message . com>...

> You make me laugh. Real wine is RED, Bucko!

In the words of the great philosopher Steve Martin, "Well excuuuuuuse
ME!

> > Pinot Grigio does not hold a candle to
> > great Alsatian Pinot Gris. Italian Chardonnay is way behind the
> > French. I have no animus towards Italy. I love a great Barolo,
> > Barbaresco, and Chianti as much as the next guy...I even like a nice
> > Amarone now and again, but that is all Italian wine holds for me. I
> > never buy an Italian white except for the occasional Arneis because
> > quite honestly they are not very interesting.

> Try a Vermentino di Sardegna from Argiolas...or the Tuscan Vermentino

Why should I? It will be extremely expensive and underwhelming like
99% of Italian whites...

> > Also (and this is diverging a bit), If your myriad of Italian
> > varieties have such widespread appeal, why have they not caught on in
> > either Australia or America. You don't see great new plantings of
> > Nebbiolo in Napa and most of the briefly captivating Sangiovese is now
> > being ripped up. What are vintners planting? Yep, more French
> > Varieties...sorry to say, but just about everyone in the new world is
> > following the lead of the French.

> Uh, I'm talking about ITALIAN WINE, not Italian grapes grown
> elsewhere......

There is no hiding what *you* are talking about, dude. I was and am
talking about great wine countries, and in the sphere of influence of
winemaking at least the French have the upper hand on Italy sorry to
say...

Influence in the world of sports cars we could argue about and you'd
win handily...

> > Michael Leduc

> Typical deluded American....

Uhhhh...no...but thanks for assuming.

> You probably participate in 'tastings', don't you?

Uhhhh...no again. I typically drink my wine with meals. Geez how many
times have you been wrong so far?

I have to bail out at this point. So enjoy your Rosso fella, but I
have got to say you are not really much of a champion for either
Italian wine or your point of view.
st.helier

"Marco B." wrote in message...

> Just out of Adelaide, there is another ex-Italian winemaker who makes
> a shiraz and sangiovese blend he calls Il Briccone ...

That would be Joe Grilli, of Primo Estate, up in Virginia, right?

I had the very great pleasure of spending a day with Joe and Dina a couple
of years ago.

We had some delicious mini pizza (cooked in that outdoor pizza oven in the
garden) accompanied by the Il Briccone before we had a sensational (late)
lunch with the whole family inside the barrel cellar.

Joe opened a couple of older vintages of the amarone method "Moda" Cabernet
Merlot, and I just love the Joseph Sparkling Red, it is nearly impossible to
find it here in New Zealand.

Are you in the olive oil business in South Australia?

I really must get back to South Australia again, soon.

--

st.helier

Uranium Committee

"Marco B." > wrote in message >...
> What a load of rubbish.
>
> Are you an idiot?

Italian wines have no duplicates in F_____, nor should they.

Italian wines are uniquley Italian. I am an American of Italian
ancestry, and I drink ONLY Italian wines. No Californian. No F_____.
No Australian. No Spanish. No Chilean.

JUST ITALIAN.

Get it?

> I am a 26 years old Australian of Italian origins. I was born here in
> Adelaide. My father was also born in Australia. My gradfather came to
> Australia in 1946 with his uncle.
>
> Although we take our heritage seriously, Australia was the best thing that
> ever happened to us.
>
> For you to think that Italy has the best of everything, you must be stupid.

I didn't say that. I said low-end Italian are better than low-end
F_____, which are vastly over-rated.

> When we visit family, we always take some of the local wine and oilve oil
> back with us.
>
> At first we were laughed at: nobody laughs anymore.
>
> Just out of Adelaide, there is another ex-Italian winemaker who makes a
> shiraz and sangiovese blend he calls Il Briccone and whenwe go back, we are
> now asked "Avete portato il briccone?"
>
> THere are thousands of Italian Australians who immigrated here in the 1950s
> and 1960s who will support Italy 100%, but never when they compete against
> Australia.
>
> In sport, in business, in food and wine, we just love this place.
>
> And as to your hatred of things french, well my wife is french and she is
> the best thing that happened to me, after Australia.

The F_____ are cowards and the most useless, arrogant people on the
planet.

> I have been to france with her and it is a wonderful place.

A nation of naive, useless, arrogant idiots.

> Hoiw can you write such bullshit when you have never been there.

I had the unfortunate experience of flying over F_____ when I was in
Europe, going from Florence to Brussels.
Uranium Committee

"Marco B." > wrote in message >...
> What a load of rubbish.
>
> Are you an idiot?

Italian wines have no duplicates in F_____, nor should they.

Italian wines are uniquley Italian. I am an American of Italian
ancestry, and I drink ONLY Italian wines. No Californian. No F_____.
No Australian. No Spanish. No Chilean.

JUST ITALIAN.

Get it?

> I am a 26 years old Australian of Italian origins. I was born here in
> Adelaide. My father was also born in Australia. My gradfather came to
> Australia in 1946 with his uncle.
>
> Although we take our heritage seriously, Australia was the best thing that
> ever happened to us.
>
> For you to think that Italy has the best of everything, you must be stupid.

I didn't say that. I said low-end Italian are better than low-end
F_____, which are vastly over-rated.

> When we visit family, we always take some of the local wine and oilve oil
> back with us.
>
> At first we were laughed at: nobody laughs anymore.
>
> Just out of Adelaide, there is another ex-Italian winemaker who makes a
> shiraz and sangiovese blend he calls Il Briccone and whenwe go back, we are
> now asked "Avete portato il briccone?"
>
> THere are thousands of Italian Australians who immigrated here in the 1950s
> and 1960s who will support Italy 100%, but never when they compete against
> Australia.
>
> In sport, in business, in food and wine, we just love this place.
>
> And as to your hatred of things french, well my wife is french and she is
> the best thing that happened to me, after Australia.

The F_____ are cowards and the most useless, arrogant people on the
planet.

> I have been to france with her and it is a wonderful place.

A nation of naive, useless, arrogant idiots.

> Hoiw can you write such bullshit when you have never been there.

I had the unfortunate experience of flying over F_____ when I was in
Europe, going from Florence to Brussels.
th_duck

Michael Pronay > wrote in message >...
> (th_duck) wrote:
>
> > Give me a break. I agree that Italy makes some incredible reds,
> > but give me a list of some Italian whites that can touch a great
> > white Burgundy.

> Gaia & Rey (Gaja), Cervaro della Sala (Antinori) ...
>
> > Where is Italy's Alsace?

> Alto Adige.
>
> > If we want to ga back to the reds, name me some great Italian
> > Pinot noir producers...

> Maurizio Zanella, Castello di Ama, Franziskus Haas ...
>
> M.

Okay, great...now how about that Italian champagne? Prosecco doesn't
count.

Seriously though I am more happy to be proved wrong, but what do
these wines cost? The QPR is what everyone likes to talk about here,
and quite honestly I would actually buy Italian whites if a)they were
not overpriced and b) they were not (in general) uninspiring examples
of the art.

Also do you disagree with my basic premise of France being the leading
wine nation or are you just wanting to stick it to me and demonstrate
your knowledge? It's not that I have any truck with Italy, I have
almost two cases of Italian wine in my cooler and as a matter of fact
I had a great Barbaresco just last night. I'm sure those wines you
mentioned are just great.

It's just that I happen to think that France can and does hold a
candle to Italy in the world of wine, unlike my friend UC who prefers
to call me a liar. *And* I think that France on the whole delivers a
greater wealth of styles than other wine producing nations. I didn't
think this was such a controversial point. I thought It was a point of
general knowledge. I guess its time to throw out all my wine books in
favor of the new tome written by the esteemed Pierpaolo Francesci.

ML

th_duck

Michael Pronay > wrote in message >...
> (th_duck) wrote:
>
> > Give me a break. I agree that Italy makes some incredible reds,
> > but give me a list of some Italian whites that can touch a great
> > white Burgundy.

> Gaia & Rey (Gaja), Cervaro della Sala (Antinori) ...
>
> > Where is Italy's Alsace?

> Alto Adige.
>
> > If we want to ga back to the reds, name me some great Italian
> > Pinot noir producers...

> Maurizio Zanella, Castello di Ama, Franziskus Haas ...
>
> M.

Okay, great...now how about that Italian champagne? Prosecco doesn't
count.

Seriously though I am more happy to be proved wrong, but what do
these wines cost? The QPR is what everyone likes to talk about here,
and quite honestly I would actually buy Italian whites if a)they were
not overpriced and b) they were not (in general) uninspiring examples
of the art.

Also do you disagree with my basic premise of France being the leading
wine nation or are you just wanting to stick it to me and demonstrate
your knowledge? It's not that I have any truck with Italy, I have
almost two cases of Italian wine in my cooler and as a matter of fact
I had a great Barbaresco just last night. I'm sure those wines you
mentioned are just great.

It's just that I happen to think that France can and does hold a
candle to Italy in the world of wine, unlike my friend UC who prefers
to call me a liar. *And* I think that France on the whole delivers a
greater wealth of styles than other wine producing nations. I didn't
think this was such a controversial point. I thought It was a point of
general knowledge. I guess its time to throw out all my wine books in
favor of the new tome written by the esteemed Pierpaolo Francesci.

ML
Indirecto

Indeed it was the St. Emilion one.

Wonder if all the fruit is gone already, what's left for 5 years down the
road?

-Indirecto

"Timothy Hartley" > wrote in message
> In message >
> "Indirecto" > wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry I offended some of you out there...
>>
>> My post was a result of opening a bottle of 1998 Chateau Magdelaine that
>> bought for about US$40 a bottle, and kind of thinking... "am I missing
>> something?". Also coming to the conclusion that for less than Euro$30,
>> spanish wine, in general, tasted much better.
>>
>> I don't think I'm ignorant... although apparently not as knowlegable as
>> some
>> here. Or is it perhaps that my pallate is too used to fruitier wine.
>>
>> Sometimes I feel french wine is like scotch whisky. People drink it more
>> for the status than the actual content. No doubt there are notable
>> exceptions.
>>
>> -Indirecto

> Assuming the Ch. Magdelaine you drank was the Premier Brand Cru Classé
> from
> St. Emilion and not Ch. Magdeleine-Bouhou from Blaye, it is perhapos npt
> surpris9ng tthat you were somewhat disappointed. You would be disappointed
> by the life work of any victim of infanticide. Moroeover, although I have
> not tasted the 1998 Magdelaine yet I would have expected that it is closed
> and asleep at the moment. If you want to try St. Emilions of this quality
> and are not prepared to wait for the great years until they are at their
> best to drink may I suggest either that you drink them before they close
> down and sleep or, better still, try more precocious years. Some 1997
> GCCs
> and PGCCs will be drinking reasonably now and you might just get away with
> some of the 1999s but to drink either 1998 or 2000 and expect them to be
> ready is a trifle optimistic. Even amongst the better Grand Crus sensible
> people are drinking the 99s before either of the other two years and are
> looking for the bargains amongst the 1997s, some of which are lovely. You
> would do very well to buy it in England for the equivalent of $40 and I am
> sorry that such a good buy of what would have been a great bottle was
> wasted.
>
> Timothy Hartley

Indirecto

Indeed it was the St. Emilion one.

Wonder if all the fruit is gone already, what's left for 5 years down the
road?

-Indirecto

"Timothy Hartley" > wrote in message
> In message >
> "Indirecto" > wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry I offended some of you out there...
>>
>> My post was a result of opening a bottle of 1998 Chateau Magdelaine that
>> bought for about US$40 a bottle, and kind of thinking... "am I missing
>> something?". Also coming to the conclusion that for less than Euro$30,
>> spanish wine, in general, tasted much better.
>>
>> I don't think I'm ignorant... although apparently not as knowlegable as
>> some
>> here. Or is it perhaps that my pallate is too used to fruitier wine.
>>
>> Sometimes I feel french wine is like scotch whisky. People drink it more
>> for the status than the actual content. No doubt there are notable
>> exceptions.
>>
>> -Indirecto

> Assuming the Ch. Magdelaine you drank was the Premier Brand Cru Classé
> from
> St. Emilion and not Ch. Magdeleine-Bouhou from Blaye, it is perhapos npt
> surpris9ng tthat you were somewhat disappointed. You would be disappointed
> by the life work of any victim of infanticide. Moroeover, although I have
> not tasted the 1998 Magdelaine yet I would have expected that it is closed
> and asleep at the moment. If you want to try St. Emilions of this quality
> and are not prepared to wait for the great years until they are at their
> best to drink may I suggest either that you drink them before they close
> down and sleep or, better still, try more precocious years. Some 1997
> GCCs
> and PGCCs will be drinking reasonably now and you might just get away with
> some of the 1999s but to drink either 1998 or 2000 and expect them to be
> ready is a trifle optimistic. Even amongst the better Grand Crus sensible
> people are drinking the 99s before either of the other two years and are
> looking for the bargains amongst the 1997s, some of which are lovely. You
> would do very well to buy it in England for the equivalent of $40 and I am
> sorry that such a good buy of what would have been a great bottle was
> wasted.
>
> Timothy Hartley

Mat

(th_duck) wrote:

>>>Give me a break. I agree that Italy makes some incredible reds,
>>>but give me a list of some Italian whites that can touch a great
>>>white Burgundy.

>>Gaia & Rey (Gaja), Cervaro della Sala (Antinori) ...
>>

>>>Where is Italy's Alsace?

>>Alto Adige.
>>

>>>If we want to ga back to the reds, name me some great Italian
>>>Pinot noir producers...

>>Maurizio Zanella, Castello di Ama, Franziskus Haas ...
>>
>>M.

> Okay, great...now how about that Italian champagne? Prosecco doesn't
> count.
>
> Seriously though I am more happy to be proved wrong, but what do
> these wines cost? The QPR is what everyone likes to talk about here,
> and quite honestly I would actually buy Italian whites if a)they were
> not overpriced and b) they were not (in general) uninspiring examples
> of the art.
>
> Also do you disagree with my basic premise of France being the leading
> wine nation or are you just wanting to stick it to me and demonstrate
> your knowledge? It's not that I have any truck with Italy, I have
> almost two cases of Italian wine in my cooler and as a matter of fact
> I had a great Barbaresco just last night. I'm sure those wines you
> mentioned are just great.
>
> It's just that I happen to think that France can and does hold a
> candle to Italy in the world of wine, unlike my friend UC who prefers
> to call me a liar. *And* I think that France on the whole delivers a
> greater wealth of styles than other wine producing nations. I didn't
> think this was such a controversial point. I thought It was a point of
> general knowledge. I guess its time to throw out all my wine books in
> favor of the new tome written by the esteemed Pierpaolo Francesci.
>
> ML

If you look through and find any posts of his under Uranium Committee or
particuarly Michael Scarpetti (apologies if I have mispelt, it is from
memory) you will see UC has at least a good knowledge of Italian wines,
but dismisses anything non-Italian as not being as good as Italian.

Also, he has a pathological hatred of the French for reasons I am not
100% sure about. Given he often uses the language of hate-mongers like
Bill O'Reilly (a nut-job FOX news hatchet man) I suspect that has
something to do with it.

Occasionally its fun to poke him, but the same old tune gets a little
boring for even the most mischevious of ppl in here. Plus of course its
terrible etiquette in such a polite group, but sometimes its hard to resist.

So to sum up, don't argue with him. Unless you're bored and are the type
of person who likes baiting the obviously rabid.

He probably would be a much-valued contributer given his knowledge of
Italian wines if he wasn't so overwhemingly parochial, argumentative and
hateful (towards the French and anyone who disagrees about France or
Italian wines being better than anything, ever, anywhere, for ever and
ever). Which is more the pity.

Mat

(th_duck) wrote:

> [...]

Also, he has a pathological hatred of the French for reasons I am not
100% sure about. Given he often uses the language of hate-mongers like
Bill O'Reilly (a nut-job FOX news hatchet man) I suspect that has
something to do with it.

Occasionally its fun to poke him, but the same old tune gets a little
boring for even the most mischevious of ppl in here. Plus of course its
terrible etiquette in such a polite group, but sometimes its hard to resist.

So to sum up, don't argue with him. Unless you're bored and are the type
of person who likes baiting the obviously rabid.

He probably would be a much-valued contributer given his knowledge of
Italian wines if he wasn't so overwhemingly parochial, argumentative and
hateful (towards the French and anyone who disagrees about France or
Italian wines being better than anything, ever, anywhere, for ever and

Michael Pronay

(th_duck) wrote:

> Okay, great...now how about that Italian champagne? Prosecco
> doesn't count.

Why shouldn't Prosecco count? Here are the results from a blind
tasting just one week ago. Note that we only had full sparklers
(no prosecco frizzante) from around the world (except Austria).
Prices are retail here in Austria, all taxes included. The top 33
wines from a total of 63 wines tasted:

92 EUR 20,40 Bellavista Cuvée Brut, Franciacorta DOCG, 12,5%
92 EUR 22,70 Champagne Jacquesson Cuvée nº 728 Brut, 12%
92 EUR 25,00 Champagne Pommery POP Extra Dry, 12,5%
92 EUR 31,00 Champagne Taittinger Brut Réserve, 12%
92 EUR 34,50 Champagne Gosset Grande Réserve Brut, 12%
92 EUR 34,90 Champagne Pol Roger Brut, 12%
92 EUR 76,00 1996 Champagne Bollinger Grande Année Brut, 12%

91 EUR 17,99 Berlucchi Cuvée Impériale Brut, Franciacorta DOCG,
12,5%
91 EUR 25,50 1997 Le Marchesine Brut Millesimato, Franciacorta
DOCG, 12,5%
91 EUR 28,00 Champagne Fleury Brut, 12,5%
91 EUR 30,00 Champagne Pommery Blanc de Moirs "Wintertime", 12,5%
91 EUR 34,80 Bellavista Cuvée Rosé Brut, Franciacorta DOCG, 12,5%
91 EUR 35,00 Champagner Taittinger Prestige Rosé Brut, 12%

90 not avail. Skovin Penlivo Dry, Makedonia, 11,5%
90 not avail. Skovin Penlivo (Schaumwein) Semi-Dry, Makedonia, 11,5%
90 EUR 6,04 Cava Alsina & Sardà Brut, 12%
90 EUR 7,99 Talento Rotari Brut, Trento DOC, 12%
90 EUR 7,99 Fresita, Viña Manquehue, Chile, 7,9%
90 EUR 8,80 Torralta Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Brut, 11%
90 EUR 9,70 Asti DOCG, Bersano, 7%
90 EUR 9,90 Jeio Colmei Extra Dry Prosecco di Valdobbiadene DOC,
Bisol, 11,5%
90 EUR 10,00 Villa Sandi Prosecco di Valdobbiadene DOC, 11,5%
90 EUR 13,00 Cava Albet i Noia Brut Nature Reserva, 12%
90 EUR 18,40 Ferrari Talento Brut, Trento DOC 12%
90 EUR 18,60 1996 Il Bosco Millesimato Brut, Oltrepò Pavese DOC,
12%
90 EUR 24,00 2000 Cava Albet i Noia Barrica 21 Brut (Agricultura
Ecològica), 12%
90 EUR 28,50 Champagne Gosset Brut Excellence, 12%
90 EUR 29,99 Champagne Moët & Chandon Brut Impérial, 12%
90 EUR 34,80 Bellavista "Pas Opéré" Gran Cuvée Brut, Franciacorta
DOCG, 12,5%
90 EUR 34,80 Bellavista "Pas Opéré" Gran Cuvée Brut Satèn,
Franciacorta DOCG, 12,5%
90 EUR 36,00 1995 Champagne Jacquesson % Fils Avize Grand Cru, 12%
90 EUR 39,99 Champagne Moët & Chandon Brut Impérial Rosé, 12%
90 EUR 98,00 1998 Champagne Gosset Célébris Brut Rosé, 12%

M.
Michael Pronay

(th_duck) wrote:

> Okay, great...now how about that Italian champagne? Prosecco
> doesn't count.

Why shouldn't Prosecco count? Here are the results from a blind
tasting just one week ago. Note that we only had full sparklers
(no prosecco frizzante) from around the world (except Austria).
Prices are retail here in Austria, all taxes included. The top 33
wines from a total of 63 wines tasted:

92 EUR 20,40 Bellavista Cuvée Brut, Franciacorta DOCG, 12,5%
92 EUR 22,70 Champagne Jacquesson Cuvée nº 728 Brut, 12%
92 EUR 25,00 Champagne Pommery POP Extra Dry, 12,5%
92 EUR 31,00 Champagne Taittinger Brut Réserve, 12%
92 EUR 34,50 Champagne Gosset Grande Réserve Brut, 12%
92 EUR 34,90 Champagne Pol Roger Brut, 12%
92 EUR 76,00 1996 Champagne Bollinger Grande Année Brut, 12%

91 EUR 17,99 Berlucchi Cuvée Impériale Brut, Franciacorta DOCG,
12,5%
91 EUR 25,50 1997 Le Marchesine Brut Millesimato, Franciacorta
DOCG, 12,5%
91 EUR 28,00 Champagne Fleury Brut, 12,5%
91 EUR 30,00 Champagne Pommery Blanc de Moirs "Wintertime", 12,5%
91 EUR 34,80 Bellavista Cuvée Rosé Brut, Franciacorta DOCG, 12,5%
91 EUR 35,00 Champagner Taittinger Prestige Rosé Brut, 12%

90 not avail. Skovin Penlivo Dry, Makedonia, 11,5%
90 not avail. Skovin Penlivo (Schaumwein) Semi-Dry, Makedonia, 11,5%
90 EUR 6,04 Cava Alsina & Sardà Brut, 12%
90 EUR 7,99 Talento Rotari Brut, Trento DOC, 12%
90 EUR 7,99 Fresita, Viña Manquehue, Chile, 7,9%
90 EUR 8,80 Torralta Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Brut, 11%
90 EUR 9,70 Asti DOCG, Bersano, 7%
90 EUR 9,90 Jeio Colmei Extra Dry Prosecco di Valdobbiadene DOC,
Bisol, 11,5%
90 EUR 10,00 Villa Sandi Prosecco di Valdobbiadene DOC, 11,5%
90 EUR 13,00 Cava Albet i Noia Brut Nature Reserva, 12%
90 EUR 18,40 Ferrari Talento Brut, Trento DOC 12%
90 EUR 18,60 1996 Il Bosco Millesimato Brut, Oltrepò Pavese DOC,
12%
90 EUR 24,00 2000 Cava Albet i Noia Barrica 21 Brut (Agricultura
Ecològica), 12%
90 EUR 28,50 Champagne Gosset Brut Excellence, 12%
90 EUR 29,99 Champagne Moët & Chandon Brut Impérial, 12%
90 EUR 34,80 Bellavista "Pas Opéré" Gran Cuvée Brut, Franciacorta
DOCG, 12,5%
90 EUR 34,80 Bellavista "Pas Opéré" Gran Cuvée Brut Satèn,
Franciacorta DOCG, 12,5%
90 EUR 36,00 1995 Champagne Jacquesson % Fils Avize Grand Cru, 12%
90 EUR 39,99 Champagne Moët & Chandon Brut Impérial Rosé, 12%
90 EUR 98,00 1998 Champagne Gosset Célébris Brut Rosé, 12%

M.
Marco B.

Yes, you are right; I know Joe and Dina very well.

I have a brother who grows grapes for him at McLaren Vale, and another who
grows olives in the Adelaide Hills.

I have actually cooked pizza in the oven you refer to - did you know he
imported it from Italy?

I am a cook. In fact my wife and I run a small restaurant out at Glenelg - a
blend of Italian and French.

Our wine is 100% Australian; although I havce heard that kiwi sauvignon
blanc is the best wine for seafood, and have been offered a couple, but I am
not sure which would be the better choice.

I came across this newsgroup while I was looking for wine and food
combinatiopns, but it appears to be more focussed on wine only, is that
correct?

Marco

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> "Marco B." wrote in message...
>
> > Just out of Adelaide, there is another ex-Italian winemaker who makes
> > a shiraz and sangiovese blend he calls Il Briccone ...

> That would be Joe Grilli, of Primo Estate, up in Virginia, right?
>
> I had the very great pleasure of spending a day with Joe and Dina a couple
> of years ago.
>
> We had some delicious mini pizza (cooked in that outdoor pizza oven in the
> garden) accompanied by the Il Briccone before we had a sensational (late)
> lunch with the whole family inside the barrel cellar.
>
> Joe opened a couple of older vintages of the amarone method "Moda"

Cabernet
> Merlot, and I just love the Joseph Sparkling Red, it is nearly impossible

> find it here in New Zealand.
>
> Are you in the olive oil business in South Australia?
>
> I really must get back to South Australia again, soon.
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Marco B.

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> "Marco B." wrote in message...
>
> > Just out of Adelaide, there is another ex-Italian winemaker who makes
> > a shiraz and sangiovese blend he calls Il Briccone ...

> That would be Joe Grilli, of Primo Estate, up in Virginia, right?
>
> I had the very great pleasure of spending a day with Joe and Dina a couple
> of years ago.
>
> We had some delicious mini pizza (cooked in that outdoor pizza oven in the
> garden) accompanied by the Il Briccone before we had a sensational (late)
> lunch with the whole family inside the barrel cellar.
>
> Joe opened a couple of older vintages of the amarone method "Moda"

Cabernet
> Merlot, and I just love the Joseph Sparkling Red, it is nearly impossible

> find it here in New Zealand.
>
> Are you in the olive oil business in South Australia?
>
> I really must get back to South Australia again, soon.
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Timothy Hartley

In message >
"Indirecto" > wrote:

> Indeed it was the St. Emilion one.
>
> Wonder if all the fruit is gone already, what's left for 5 years down the
> road?
>
> -Indirecto

I don‘t think you understand. "All the fruit" has not gone. It is not
there in the same very obvious way that it would be present in grape juice,
or some lesser wine, because this is a much more complex wine than perhaps
you are used to drinking. More importantly, however, I strongly suspect
that the wine - fruit, tannins, and all - is sleeping, closed down, going
through a period of dormancy, whatever expression of like kind might mean
something to you. It is therefore not yet at its best and any competent and
experienced wine merchant would and should have told you that when you
bought it. As I said in my last post you can never judge the life work of a
victim of infanticide.

This is not a wine which was meant to be drunk within 6 years of its vintage
and about four after it was bottled. You might have got away with it - and
experienced what you appear to mean by "fruit" - if you had drunk it in the
first two, three or even four years of its life. (That would perhaps have
been akin to abortion rather than the infanticide which you have committed.
I leave others to judge the relative turpitude of the two offences.)

I suggest that you try to get hold of a bottle of 1989 or 1990 Magdelaine
and see what you have missed by not waiting.

Timothy Hartley

Pantheras

Mat wrote:
> If you look through and find any posts of his under Uranium Committee or
> particuarly Michael Scarpetti (apologies if I have mispelt, it is from
> memory) you will see UC has at least a good knowledge of Italian wines,
> but dismisses anything non-Italian as not being as good as Italian.
> Also, he has a pathological hatred of the French for reasons I am not
> 100% sure about. Given he often uses the language of hate-mongers like
> Bill O'Reilly (a nut-job FOX news hatchet man) I suspect that has
> something to do with it.

His main theme when he descended upon us was than aging wine is
nonsense. Any knowledge that he might have of Italian wine is over
shadowed by his desire to troll. Anyone that communicates with him
is propagating this trolls presence in AFW. Besides I think his
real name may be Rosaphilla.
Pantheras

Mat wrote:
> If you look through and find any posts of his under Uranium Committee or
> particuarly Michael Scarpetti (apologies if I have mispelt, it is from
> memory) you will see UC has at least a good knowledge of Italian wines,
> but dismisses anything non-Italian as not being as good as Italian.
> Also, he has a pathological hatred of the French for reasons I am not
> 100% sure about. Given he often uses the language of hate-mongers like
> Bill O'Reilly (a nut-job FOX news hatchet man) I suspect that has
> something to do with it.

His main theme when he descended upon us was than aging wine is
nonsense. Any knowledge that he might have of Italian wine is over
shadowed by his desire to troll. Anyone that communicates with him
is propagating this trolls presence in AFW. Besides I think his
real name may be Rosaphilla.
Indirecto

Thanks for the explanation... I have three other bottles of the same in my
cellar (I was feeling rather optimist when I bought them), so I'll hold off.

-Indirecto

"Timothy Hartley" > wrote in message
> In message >
> "Indirecto" > wrote:
>
>> Indeed it was the St. Emilion one.
>>
>> Wonder if all the fruit is gone already, what's left for 5 years down the
>> road?
>>
>> -Indirecto
>>

> I don't think you understand. "All the fruit" has not gone. It is not
> there in the same very obvious way that it would be present in grape
> juice,
> or some lesser wine, because this is a much more complex wine than perhaps
> you are used to drinking. More importantly, however, I strongly suspect
> that the wine - fruit, tannins, and all - is sleeping, closed down, going
> through a period of dormancy, whatever expression of like kind might mean
> something to you. It is therefore not yet at its best and any competent
> and
> experienced wine merchant would and should have told you that when you
> bought it. As I said in my last post you can never judge the life work of
> victim of infanticide.
>
> This is not a wine which was meant to be drunk within 6 years of its
> vintage
> and about four after it was bottled. You might have got away with it - and
> experienced what you appear to mean by "fruit" - if you had drunk it in
> the
> first two, three or even four years of its life. (That would perhaps have
> been akin to abortion rather than the infanticide which you have
> committed.
> I leave others to judge the relative turpitude of the two offences.)
>
> I suggest that you try to get hold of a bottle of 1989 or 1990 Magdelaine
> and see what you have missed by not waiting.
>

> Timothy Hartley

Indirecto

Thanks for the explanation... I have three other bottles of the same in my
cellar (I was feeling rather optimist when I bought them), so I'll hold off.

-Indirecto

"Timothy Hartley" > wrote in message
> In message >
> "Indirecto" > wrote:
>
>> Indeed it was the St. Emilion one.
>>
>> Wonder if all the fruit is gone already, what's left for 5 years down the
>> road?
>>
>> -Indirecto
>>

> I don't think you understand. "All the fruit" has not gone. It is not
> there in the same very obvious way that it would be present in grape
> juice,
> or some lesser wine, because this is a much more complex wine than perhaps
> you are used to drinking. More importantly, however, I strongly suspect
> that the wine - fruit, tannins, and all - is sleeping, closed down, going
> through a period of dormancy, whatever expression of like kind might mean
> something to you. It is therefore not yet at its best and any competent
> and
> experienced wine merchant would and should have told you that when you
> bought it. As I said in my last post you can never judge the life work of
> victim of infanticide.
>
> This is not a wine which was meant to be drunk within 6 years of its
> vintage
> and about four after it was bottled. You might have got away with it - and
> experienced what you appear to mean by "fruit" - if you had drunk it in
> the
> first two, three or even four years of its life. (That would perhaps have
> been akin to abortion rather than the infanticide which you have
> committed.
> I leave others to judge the relative turpitude of the two offences.)
>
> I suggest that you try to get hold of a bottle of 1989 or 1990 Magdelaine
> and see what you have missed by not waiting.
>

> Timothy Hartley

st.helier

"Marco B." wrote in message

> I know Joe and Dina very well.

Small world, isn't it?

> Our wine is 100% Australian; although I havce heard that kiwi sauvignon
> blanc is the best wine for seafood, and have been offered a couple,
> but I am not sure which would be the better choice.

From what I saw in Adelaide, you do not have a great choice.

My favourite 2004 to date has been Sacred Hill Marlborough - it is
excellent.

But, for your list (and guaranteed supply) either the Stoneleigh or Giesen
would be very good choices.

Regards

--

st.helier

th_duck

Michael Pronay > wrote in message >...
> (th_duck) wrote:
>
> > Okay, great...now how about that Italian champagne? Prosecco
> > doesn't count.

> Why shouldn't Prosecco count? Here are the results from a blind
> tasting just one week ago. Note that we only had full sparklers
> (no prosecco frizzante) from around the world (except Austria).
> Prices are retail here in Austria, all taxes included. The top 33
> wines from a total of 63 wines tasted:
>
> 92 EUR 20,40 Bellavista Cuvée Brut, Franciacorta DOCG, 12,5%
> 92 EUR 22,70 Champagne Jacquesson Cuvée nº 728 Brut, 12%
> 92 EUR 25,00 Champagne Pommery POP Extra Dry, 12,5%
> 92 EUR 31,00 Champagne Taittinger Brut Réserve, 12%
> 92 EUR 34,50 Champagne Gosset Grande Réserve Brut, 12%
> 92 EUR 34,90 Champagne Pol Roger Brut, 12%
> 92 EUR 76,00 1996 Champagne Bollinger Grande Année Brut, 12%

OK, so one out of your top seven was a Prosseco, all the rest were
Champagnes. If the Prosseco had handily outscored these other six I'd
say you might have an argument. Hardly a case for Italy outmatching
Champagne in sparkling wines.

What kind of bugs me is that you seem to be avoiding my main questions
in favour of demonstrating your superior knowledge of all things wine.
So the time has come for you to get off the fence and declare an
opinion rather than rattling off names of producers. Prove to me that
you actually drink this stuff rather than swirling it around and
spitting it out.

Michael Leduc
Uranium Committee

Mat <Ask@me> wrote in message >...

> If you look through and find any posts of his under Uranium Committee or
> particuarly Michael Scarpetti (apologies if I have mispelt, it is from
> memory) you will see UC has at least a good knowledge of Italian wines,
> but dismisses anything non-Italian as not being as good as Italian.
>
> Also, he has a pathological hatred of the French for reasons I am not
> 100% sure about. Given he often uses the language of hate-mongers like
> Bill O'Reilly (a nut-job FOX news hatchet man) I suspect that has
> something to do with it.
>
> Occasionally its fun to poke him, but the same old tune gets a little
> boring for even the most mischevious of ppl in here. Plus of course its
> terrible etiquette in such a polite group, but sometimes its hard to resist.
>
> So to sum up, don't argue with him. Unless you're bored and are the type
> of person who likes baiting the obviously rabid.
>
> He probably would be a much-valued contributer given his knowledge of
> Italian wines if he wasn't so overwhemingly parochial, argumentative and
> hateful (towards the French and anyone who disagrees about France or
> Italian wines being better than anything, ever, anywhere, for ever and
> ever). Which is more the pity.

I do know my Italian wines fairly well, and I find it most distressing
that more people don't bother to learn more about the rest of the wine
world than California Chardonnay or Cabernet S.
Uranium Committee

Mat <Ask@me> wrote in message >...

> If you look through and find any posts of his under Uranium Committee or
> particuarly Michael Scarpetti (apologies if I have mispelt, it is from
> memory) you will see UC has at least a good knowledge of Italian wines,
> but dismisses anything non-Italian as not being as good as Italian.
>
> Also, he has a pathological hatred of the French for reasons I am not
> 100% sure about. Given he often uses the language of hate-mongers like
> Bill O'Reilly (a nut-job FOX news hatchet man) I suspect that has
> something to do with it.
>
> Occasionally its fun to poke him, but the same old tune gets a little
> boring for even the most mischevious of ppl in here. Plus of course its
> terrible etiquette in such a polite group, but sometimes its hard to resist.
>
> So to sum up, don't argue with him. Unless you're bored and are the type
> of person who likes baiting the obviously rabid.
>
> He probably would be a much-valued contributer given his knowledge of
> Italian wines if he wasn't so overwhemingly parochial, argumentative and
> hateful (towards the French and anyone who disagrees about France or
> Italian wines being better than anything, ever, anywhere, for ever and
> ever). Which is more the pity.

I do know my Italian wines fairly well, and I find it most distressing
that more people don't bother to learn more about the rest of the wine
world than California Chardonnay or Cabernet S.

Vino

On 21 Nov 2004 09:32:47 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>Note that we only had full sparklers
>(no prosecco frizzante) from around the world (except Austria).

I saw none from North America in your list. Any particular reason?

Vino
Vino

On 21 Nov 2004 09:32:47 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>Note that we only had full sparklers
>(no prosecco frizzante) from around the world (except Austria).

I saw none from North America in your list. Any particular reason?

Vino
Michael Pronay

Vino > wrote:

>> Note that we only had full sparklers (no prosecco frizzante)
>> from around the world (except Austria).

> I saw none from North America in your list. Any particular
> reason?

None imported to Austria. We contacted all importers, and that's
what they sent.

M.

Mat

Uranium Committee wrote:

> I do know my Italian wines fairly well, and I find it most distressing
> that more people don't bother to learn more about the rest of the wine
> world than California Chardonnay or Cabernet S.

Your knowledge far outstrips mine, not that thats hard. In fact I have
never had an Italian wine that I can recall.

I find it rather ironic that given your rabid pro-Italian bent you would
critisize others for doing just that with other wines.

Mat

Uranium Committee wrote:

> I do know my Italian wines fairly well, and I find it most distressing
> that more people don't bother to learn more about the rest of the wine
> world than California Chardonnay or Cabernet S.

Your knowledge far outstrips mine, not that thats hard. In fact I have
never had an Italian wine that I can recall.

I find it rather ironic that given your rabid pro-Italian bent you would
critisize others for doing just that with other wines.

Mat

Pantheras wrote:

> Mat wrote:
>
>> If you look through and find any posts of his under Uranium Committee
>> or particuarly Michael Scarpetti (apologies if I have mispelt, it is
>> from memory) you will see UC has at least a good knowledge of Italian
>> wines, but dismisses anything non-Italian as not being as good as
>> Italian. Also, he has a pathological hatred of the French for reasons
>> I am not 100% sure about. Given he often uses the language of
>> hate-mongers like Bill O'Reilly (a nut-job FOX news hatchet man) I
>> suspect that has something to do with it.

> His main theme when he descended upon us was than aging wine is
> nonsense. Any knowledge that he might have of Italian wine is over
> shadowed by his desire to troll. Anyone that communicates with him
> is propagating this trolls presence in AFW. Besides I think his
> real name may be Rosaphilla.

You have a point Pantheras. I remember the ding-dong battles over aging
of wine, and decanting etc. Both of which viewpoints I disagree with.

However I actually find an occaisonal post or two of his useful.

I just wish, like everyone else, he would not behave the way he does to
upset the locals. I know if he is a troll that is what he sets out to
do, but some of his posts are actually informative.

I don't want to overstep my status here (haha, lowest of the low), but
best just to killfile him if ppl get upset by him. I personally often
find trolls a source of great amusement and fun, and the wittier ones
have me in stitches at times.

Its the spammers that kill a group. Wastelands of hundreds of viagra etc
posts.

Mat

Pantheras wrote:

> Mat wrote:
>
>> If you look through and find any posts of his under Uranium Committee
>> or particuarly Michael Scarpetti (apologies if I have mispelt, it is
>> from memory) you will see UC has at least a good knowledge of Italian
>> wines, but dismisses anything non-Italian as not being as good as
>> Italian. Also, he has a pathological hatred of the French for reasons
>> I am not 100% sure about. Given he often uses the language of
>> hate-mongers like Bill O'Reilly (a nut-job FOX news hatchet man) I
>> suspect that has something to do with it.

> His main theme when he descended upon us was than aging wine is
> nonsense. Any knowledge that he might have of Italian wine is over
> shadowed by his desire to troll. Anyone that communicates with him
> is propagating this trolls presence in AFW. Besides I think his
> real name may be Rosaphilla.

You have a point Pantheras. I remember the ding-dong battles over aging
of wine, and decanting etc. Both of which viewpoints I disagree with.

However I actually find an occaisonal post or two of his useful.

I just wish, like everyone else, he would not behave the way he does to
upset the locals. I know if he is a troll that is what he sets out to
do, but some of his posts are actually informative.

I don't want to overstep my status here (haha, lowest of the low), but
best just to killfile him if ppl get upset by him. I personally often
find trolls a source of great amusement and fun, and the wittier ones
have me in stitches at times.

Its the spammers that kill a group. Wastelands of hundreds of viagra etc
posts.

Uranium Committee

Mat <Ask@me> wrote in message >...
> Pantheras wrote:
>
> > Mat wrote:
> >
> >> If you look through and find any posts of his under Uranium Committee
> >> or particuarly Michael Scarpetti (apologies if I have mispelt, it is
> >> from memory) you will see UC has at least a good knowledge of Italian
> >> wines, but dismisses anything non-Italian as not being as good as
> >> Italian. Also, he has a pathological hatred of the French for reasons
> >> I am not 100% sure about. Given he often uses the language of
> >> hate-mongers like Bill O'Reilly (a nut-job FOX news hatchet man) I
> >> suspect that has something to do with it.

> > His main theme when he descended upon us was than aging wine is
> > nonsense. Any knowledge that he might have of Italian wine is over
> > shadowed by his desire to troll. Anyone that communicates with him
> > is propagating this trolls presence in AFW. Besides I think his
> > real name may be Rosaphilla.

> You have a point Pantheras. I remember the ding-dong battles over aging
> of wine, and decanting etc. Both of which viewpoints I disagree with.
>
> However I actually find an occaisonal post or two of his useful.
>
> I just wish, like everyone else, he would not behave the way he does to
> upset the locals. I know if he is a troll that is what he sets out to
> do, but some of his posts are actually informative.
>
> I don't want to overstep my status here (haha, lowest of the low), but
> best just to killfile him if ppl get upset by him. I personally often
> find trolls a source of great amusement and fun, and the wittier ones
> have me in stitches at times.
>
> Its the spammers that kill a group. Wastelands of hundreds of viagra etc
> posts.

I have never said 'aging of wine is nonsense'. I said 'breathing of
wine is nonsense'. I affirm that here again.

TN: 8 US wines, 7 French wines, 1 Austrian wine, 1 US mead DaleW Wine 17 03-10-2014 04:40 PM
TN: French Wines for French Fred's 50th DaleW Wine 0 19-11-2013 10:13 PM
TN: French and US wines DaleW Wine 3 13-08-2012 07:06 PM
French Wines Bloach Wine 7 18-07-2009 03:30 PM
OLD FRENCH WINES André Morin Wine 4 21-06-2005 04:51 AM