Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1998 Il Poggione Brunello

I grilled grass fed ribeyes last night and opened my last two bottles of 1998 Il Poggione Brunello. The color was a bit muted with a fair amount of brick. Nose was showing a ton of cedar notes and red cherries. It was medium bodied, a bit tannic and the palate was showing signs of fatigue. Nice but not awesome.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 9/26/17 9:22 AM, Bi!! wrote:
> I grilled grass fed ribeyes last night and opened my last two bottles of 1998 Il Poggione Brunello. The color was a bit muted with a fair amount of brick. Nose was showing a ton of cedar notes and red cherries. It was medium bodied, a bit tannic and the palate was showing signs of fatigue. Nice but not awesome.

Bi!, I have had this issue with several Brunellos from the 90's. Seem to
tire out way too soon. Only one that hasn't is Gaja but then $$$$.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 1:52:38 PM UTC-4, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
> On 9/26/17 9:22 AM, Bi!! wrote:
> > I grilled grass fed ribeyes last night and opened my last two bottles of 1998 Il Poggione Brunello. The color was a bit muted with a fair amount of brick. Nose was showing a ton of cedar notes and red cherries. It was medium bodied, a bit tannic and the palate was showing signs of fatigue. Nice but not awesome.
> >

> Bi!, I have had this issue with several Brunellos from the 90's. Seem to
> tire out way too soon. Only one that hasn't is Gaja but then $$$$.

I agree Larry. I still have a few from the 90's that haven't held up well considering my cellar is pretty good from a temp and humidity standpoint. I will admit that I was taken in by the lushness of the 90's. I might add that the best of the lot for me has been Fuligni.

TN: Meursault, Brunello, and CdR DaleW Wine 1 04-10-2009 12:01 PM
Brunello advice Thomas Curmudgeon Wine 7 24-04-2005 05:43 PM
97 Brunello di Montelcino Randell Tarin Wine 9 13-09-2004 10:47 PM
Brunello in a Restaurant Dennis Russo Wine 6 04-06-2004 02:52 PM
traditional Brunello Dale Williams Wine 6 09-02-2004 12:20 PM