Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Austria, Piedmont, Rioja, Champagne, Burg

Fred hosted our little local group for a look at Austrian wines- with a nice spread of sardines, cheeses, tapenade, zucchini salad, duck breast with cherry sauce, liver pate, and more

We started with 2 non-blind starters

2015 Meinklang Frizzante Rose
A little sweetness, light froth, nice cherry raspberrry fruit, fun. B

2016 Schloss Gobelsburg Cistercien Rose
Hint of spritz, bright, easy. B

Then to the blind wines
1998 Knoll Loibenberg Gruner Veltliner Federspiel
Softer than I remembered, but with nice apple and pea flavors, a hint of petrol. Drink up based on this bottle. B

2014 Stadlmann Rotgipfler Anninger
Aromatic, floral with some pea and spice notes over pear fruit, light. My guess was Gruner (because I thought it wasnt Riesling , Chardonnay, or Sauvignon blanc, and those are only Austrian white grapes I usually think of). Off, because its Rotgipfler, which Ive never heard of, but I liked this. B

Mayr Gruner Veltliner (didnt note vintage, liter)
Light, hint of spritz, apple B-/C+

2015 Schloss Gobelsburg Gruner Veltliner (Kamptal)
Good structure, minerally, peas and citrus, good value. B+/B

2014 Glatzer Blaufrankisch
Midbodied, good acidity yet with a jammy note. A little odd. B-

2012 Hans Igler Zweigelt
Spicy, almost seems like it has a touch of RS, fun though B

2014 Meinklang
Recognized this one. Juicy berries, lively, good value. B

Saturday to sister in laws for Betsy gazpacho and Cals paella (clam, shrimp, chicken and chorizo)

NV Moet and Chandon €śImperial Rose€ť
Good acids, but kind of blocky/bulky on palate. Tasty cherry fruit, just not singing. B/B-

2016 Pecina Rioja Rosado
I love Pecina reds, but this was round fat and soft. C+

1998 Riojanas €śAlbina€ť Rioja Gran Reserva
Terrible match (sausage spicier than I expected), but nice wine. Vanilla, cedar, dill, and red fruit, good balance. B+

Nice group of 6 for dinner Sunday. I had out pate and lonza, guest brought a smoked trout appetizer, we started with
NV Philipponnat €śRosee€ť Rose Champagne
This is more like it. Yeast and red berries, citrus and honeydew topnotes. Full, vibrant, tasty. A-

First course was roasted cauliflower with pea pesto, feta/ricotta cream, and pea shoots
2005 Michel Bouzereau €śLes Grands Charrons€ť Meursault.
No premox, pear and a little hazelnut, straightforward mature white Burg. B

1967 Produttori del Barbaresco
One couple had just had their 50th anniversary.. Stood up for 3 weeks, decanted about 4 hours before service, a pointe. Red fruit with a hint of macerated cherries, roses and a little balsam, light bodied but quite long. Great showing for the normale. A-