Old 17-05-2017, 05:08 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Coravin

Just curious if anyone here uses a Coravin? I received one as a gift and I have been using it frequently for a variety of purposes. It allows me to pour a glass of wine without opening the bottle and get multiple days if not weeks out of the remainder of the bottle if I only feel like a glass. I also use it to take a small sample for food matching purposes and if it's doesn't work I put it back in the cellar with no ill effects. It also allows me to try a wine before dinner to see if a wine is in good shape if I'm having guests. Not trying to sell the device just wondering how many use one.

Old 17-05-2017, 07:35 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/17/17 12:08 PM, Bi!! wrote:
Just curious if anyone here uses a Coravin? I received one as a gift
and I have been using it frequently for a variety of purposes. It
allows me to pour a glass of wine without opening the bottle and get
multiple days if not weeks out of the remainder of the bottle if I
only feel like a glass. I also use it to take a small sample for
food matching purposes and if it's doesn't work I put it back in the
cellar with no ill effects. It also allows me to try a wine before
dinner to see if a wine is in good shape if I'm having guests. Not
trying to sell the device just wondering how many use one.

I've certainly heard a lot about them, not least of which was about the
fear that they could be used for fraudulent purposes. I wouldn't mind
having one

Mark Lipton

Old 18-05-2017, 10:04 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2017-05-17 18:08, Bi!! wrote:
Just curious if anyone here uses a Coravin? I received one as a gift and I have been using it frequently for a variety of purposes. It allows me to pour a glass of wine without opening the bottle and get multiple days if not weeks out of the remainder of the bottle if I only feel like a glass. I also use it to take a small sample for food matching purposes and if it's doesn't work I put it back in the cellar with no ill effects. It also allows me to try a wine before dinner to see if a wine is in good shape if I'm having guests. Not trying to sell the device just wondering how many use one.

I don't use it myself (we tend to empty an open bottle) but I have
friends who do, and they are raving about it.
Comparative tastings (horizontal/vertical/€¦), bottle check, etc.
One of them (a winemaker) says he cannot find a difference between a
freshly opened bottle and one that has been Coravin-ed two years ago.

--
Éric Lafontaine