FoodBanter.com

-   -   Coravin (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/441111-coravin.html)

Bi!! 17-05-2017 05:08 PM

Coravin

Just curious if anyone here uses a Coravin? I received one as a gift and I have been using it frequently for a variety of purposes. It allows me to pour a glass of wine without opening the bottle and get multiple days if not weeks out of the remainder of the bottle if I only feel like a glass. I also use it to take a small sample for food matching purposes and if it's doesn't work I put it back in the cellar with no ill effects. It also allows me to try a wine before dinner to see if a wine is in good shape if I'm having guests. Not trying to sell the device just wondering how many use one.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 17-05-2017 07:35 PM

Coravin

On 5/17/17 12:08 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> Just curious if anyone here uses a Coravin? I received one as a gift
> and I have been using it frequently for a variety of purposes. It
> allows me to pour a glass of wine without opening the bottle and get
> multiple days if not weeks out of the remainder of the bottle if I
> only feel like a glass. I also use it to take a small sample for
> food matching purposes and if it's doesn't work I put it back in the
> cellar with no ill effects. It also allows me to try a wine before
> dinner to see if a wine is in good shape if I'm having guests. Not
> trying to sell the device just wondering how many use one.

I've certainly heard a lot about them, not least of which was about the
fear that they could be used for fraudulent purposes. I wouldn't mind
having one :)

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 18-05-2017 04:14 PM

Coravin

They do leave a needle sized hole in the foil and cork (the cork self seals) but they are great for checking on the state of a bottle especially before a dinner where you can taste the wine without needing to open the bottle. If it isn't what you wanted you can still keep the bottle unopened indefinitely. I use it to pour a glass then set it aside and finish it another time. I have tested this a number of times (unscientifically) and haven't seen any fall off in the wine.

Eric Lafontaine[_2_] 18-05-2017 10:04 PM

Coravin

On 2017-05-17 18:08, Bi!! wrote:
> Just curious if anyone here uses a Coravin? I received one as a gift and I have been using it frequently for a variety of purposes. It allows me to pour a glass of wine without opening the bottle and get multiple days if not weeks out of the remainder of the bottle if I only feel like a glass. I also use it to take a small sample for food matching purposes and if it's doesn't work I put it back in the cellar with no ill effects. It also allows me to try a wine before dinner to see if a wine is in good shape if I'm having guests. Not trying to sell the device just wondering how many use one.

I don't use it myself (we tend to empty an open bottle) but I have
friends who do, and they are raving about it.
Comparative tastings (horizontal/vertical/€¦), bottle check, etc.
One of them (a winemaker) says he cannot find a difference between a
freshly opened bottle and one that has been Coravin-ed two years ago.

--
Éric Lafontaine