FoodBanter.com

-   -   2017 Cellar Inventory (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/441035-2017-cellar-inventory.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 02-05-2017 08:30 PM

2017 Cellar Inventory

Having just reorganized and reinventoried my cellar, I now can summarize
its contents by various criteria. So, courtesy of the nifty tool that
is Cellartracker, I can tell you that the geographical distribution of
my wines is:

France (65.5%)
Burgundy (24%)
Beaujolais (7.7%)
Cote de Beaune (4.8%)
Cote de Nuits (4.6%)
Chablis (2.9%)
Rhone (19.4%)
N Rhone (12.7%)
S Rhone (6.3%)
Loire (10.9%)
Touraine (6.7%)
Pays Nantais (3.6%)
Bordeaux (5.2%)
Medoc (3.3%)
Libournais (1.9%)
USA (15.4%)
CA (14.2%)
Sonoma (5.4%)
North Coast (2.7%)
Napa (2.1%)
Central Coast (1.5%)
Sierra Foothills (1%)
Oregon (1.2%)
Germany (11.5%)
Baden (3.5%)
MSR (2.1%)
Württemberg (2.1%)
Rheinhessen (1.7%)
Franken (1.2%)
Nahe (0.6%)
Pfaltz (0.4%)
Italy (5%)
Piedmont (4%)
Campania (0.6%)
Lombardia (0.2%)
Tuscany (0.2%)
Spain (1.5%)
New Zealand (0.6%)
Austria (0.4%)

By appellation, the biggest allocations a Chateauneuf (5.6%), St.
Joseph (4.6%), Fleurie (3.6%), Muscadet S-e-M (3.6%), Morgon (3.1%) and
Mountlouis (2.9%)

By producer, the biggest allocations a Edmunds St. John (3.3%),
Chidaine (3.1%), Ridge (2.5%), Coudert (2.3%), Dom. de la Pepiere
(2.1%), Produttori del Barbaresco (1.9%), Dom. de Pegau (1.7%), Dom.
Charvin (1.5%), Arnot-Roberts (1.5%), Enderle & Moll (1.5%) and Dom
Pavelot (1.5%)

By variety, the biggest representatives a Pinot Noir (18%), Syrah
(16.7%), Gamay (8.3%), Riesling (7.9%), Grenache blends (6.9%), Bordeaux
blends (5.6%), Chenin blanc (4.6%), Nebbiolo (4%), Melon (3.6%),
Chardonnay (3.3%), Zinfandel blend (2.5%), Cabernet Franc (2.3%),
Cabernet Sauvignon (1.7%) and Tempranillo (1.5%).

Interesting to me is that, though Burgundy takes the biggest chunk of
cellar space, excluding Beaujolais there are no Burgundy appellations in
the top tier, and only Pavelot cracks the top producer list. OTOH, I
was heartened to see some of my enological heroes like Steve Edmunds,
Paul Draper, Alain Coudert, Marc Ollivier and Sven Enderle so well
represented.

If any of you have access to comparable data, I'd love to see how
different or similar our cellar compositions are.

Mark Lipton

DaleW 02-05-2017 08:58 PM

2017 Cellar Inventory

On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 3:30:42 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:

> If any of you have access to comparable data, I'd love to see how
> different or similar our cellar compositions are.

Too lazy to do by appellation. Below list is woefully incomplete, offhand I know there is enough unentered wine to be an entire separate cellar. I am not a good record keeper.Things like cru Beaujolais and Pepiere muscadet are woefully undercounted. 0% means one or two entered bottles.
Never seen a collection with Germany having Baden as #1 (I have some Enderle and Moll, also uncounted, but not that much)
Fun to see

FranceÂ*64.6%
BordeauxÂ*25.1%
BurgundyÂ*24.1%
Loire ValleyÂ*7.1%
AlsaceÂ*2.9%
RhôneÂ*2.9%
ChampagneÂ*2.0%
Southwest FranceÂ*0.2%
CorsicaÂ*0.2%
ProvenceÂ*0.0%

GermanyÂ*15.0%
Mosel Saar RuwerÂ*9.3%
NaheÂ*3.3%
RheingauÂ*1.6%
RheinhessenÂ*0.4%
PfalzÂ*0.4%
FrankenÂ*0.0%

ItalyÂ*8.5%
PiedmontÂ*6.2%
TuscanyÂ*1.2%
SicilyÂ*0.3%
VenetoÂ*0.2%
CampaniaÂ*0.2%
AbruzziÂ*0.2%
LombardiaÂ*0.1%
UmbriaÂ*0.1%
LatiumÂ*0.0%

USAÂ*7.8%
CaliforniaÂ*7.8%
WashingtonÂ*0.0%

AustriaÂ*1.9%
NiederösterreichÂ*1.9%
BurgenlandÂ*0.0%

SpainÂ*1.5%
La RiojaÂ*1.5%

PortugalÂ*0.3%
DouroÂ*0.3%
MadeiraÂ*0.0%

AustraliaÂ*0.3%
South AustraliaÂ*0.3%
VictoriaÂ*0.0%

ArgentinaÂ*0.0%
MendozaÂ*0.0%

LebanonÂ*0.0%
Bekaa ValleyÂ*0.0%

Top 10 producer (Pepiere and probably ESJ would be here if I listed everything)
Louis JadotÂ*2.8%
DönnhoffÂ*2.5%
TrimbachÂ*2.2%
Domaine HuetÂ*2.2%
Domaine Robert ChevillonÂ*2.1%
Selbach-OsterÂ*2.1%
Willi SchaeferÂ*1.8%
Joseph DrouhinÂ*1.8%
Joh. Jos. PrümÂ*1.5%
Château Lagrange (St. Julien)Â*1.3%
Weingut Josef LeitzÂ*1.2%

Bi!! 04-05-2017 07:24 PM

2017 Cellar Inventory

> [...]
> Pavelot (1.5%)
>
> By variety, the biggest representatives a Pinot Noir (18%), Syrah
> (16.7%), Gamay (8.3%), Riesling (7.9%), Grenache blends (6.9%), Bordeaux
> blends (5.6%), Chenin blanc (4.6%), Nebbiolo (4%), Melon (3.6%),
> Chardonnay (3.3%), Zinfandel blend (2.5%), Cabernet Franc (2.3%),
> Cabernet Sauvignon (1.7%) and Tempranillo (1.5%).
>
> Interesting to me is that, though Burgundy takes the biggest chunk of
> cellar space, excluding Beaujolais there are no Burgundy appellations in
> the top tier, and only Pavelot cracks the top producer list. OTOH, I
> was heartened to see some of my enological heroes like Steve Edmunds,
> Paul Draper, Alain Coudert, Marc Ollivier and Sven Enderle so well
> represented.
>
> If any of you have access to comparable data, I'd love to see how
> different or similar our cellar compositions are.

I don't have my data handy but mine is remarkable similar with almost no Aussie or NZ wines.

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 04-05-2017 07:57 PM

2017 Cellar Inventory

On 5/4/17 12:24 PM, Bi!! wrote:
Mine is Spain 20%, Oregon Pinot 20%, France 20%, California 20%, Italy
10%, others 10%. My primary labels are Lopez de Heredia 4.5%, Turley 4%,
Ayoub 2.5%, Soter 2.55, Casa Dumetz 2%. Everything else 1% or less total
600 bottles.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 04-05-2017 10:39 PM

2017 Cellar Inventory

On 5/4/17 2:57 PM, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
> On 5/4/17 12:24 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> Mine is Spain 20%, Oregon Pinot 20%, France 20%, California 20%, Italy
> 10%, others 10%. My primary labels are Lopez de Heredia 4.5%, Turley 4%,
> Ayoub 2.5%, Soter 2.55, Casa Dumetz 2%. Everything else 1% or less total
> 600 bottles.

Wow, fascinating list, Larry. You mention some producers that I've
never heard of before.

Mark Lipton

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 05-05-2017 04:54 PM

2017 Cellar Inventory

On 5/4/17 3:39 PM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 5/4/17 2:57 PM, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>> On 5/4/17 12:24 PM, Bi!! wrote:
>> Mine is Spain 20%, Oregon Pinot 20%, France 20%, California 20%, Italy
>> 10%, others 10%. My primary labels are Lopez de Heredia 4.5%, Turley 4%,
>> Ayoub 2.5%, Soter 2.55, Casa Dumetz 2%. Everything else 1% or less total
>> 600 bottles.

> Wow, fascinating list, Larry. You mention some producers that I've
> never heard of before.
>
> Mark Lipton

Casa Dumetz is in Los Almos CA near Santa Inez. Sonja Magdevski is a
friend, wine writer and excellent wine maker. Mo Ayoub makes absolutely
the best Pinots in Oregon in Dundee area.

Michael Nielsen[_4_] 05-05-2017 08:50 PM

2017 Cellar Inventory

I have mostly Bordeaux, Cornas, Tuscany, Napa, and Rioja. Today I had to open 3 bottles until I found something I liked. First a Portuguese reserva my wife bought, which was like sugar water. Then a Tuscany which was better but still too sweet. then I played it safe and had a Bordeaux and I was satisfied.

Sheila Page[_2_] 06-05-2017 05:51 PM

2017 Cellar Inventory

In message >,
DaleW > writes
>On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 3:30:42 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
>>
>> If any of you have access to comparable data, I'd love to see how
>> different or similar our cellar compositions are.
>>

>Too lazy to do by appellation. Below list is woefully incomplete,
>offhand I know there is enough unentered wine to be an entire separate
>cellar. I am not a good record keeper.Things like cru Beaujolais and
>Pepiere muscadet are woefully undercounted. 0% means one or two entered
>bottles.
>Never seen a collection with Germany having Baden as #1 (I have some
>Enderle and Moll, also uncounted, but not that much)
>Fun to see
>

>France*64.6%
>Bordeaux*25.1%
>Burgundy*24.1%
>Loire Valley*7.1%
>Alsace*2.9%
>Rhône*2.9%
>Champagne*2.0%
>Southwest France*0.2%
>Corsica*0.2%
>Provence*0.0%
>

>Germany*15.0%
>Mosel Saar Ruwer*9.3%
>Nahe*3.3%
>Rheingau*1.6%
>Rheinhessen*0.4%
>Pfalz*0.4%
>Franken*0.0%
>

>Italy*8.5%
>Piedmont*6.2%
>Tuscany*1.2%
>Sicily*0.3%
>Veneto*0.2%
>Campania*0.2%
>Abruzzi*0.2%
>Lombardia*0.1%
>Umbria*0.1%
>Latium*0.0%
>
>USA*7.8%
>California*7.8%
>Washington*0.0%
>
>Austria*1.9%
>Niederösterreich*1.9%
>Burgenland*0.0%
>
>Spain*1.5%
>La Rioja*1.5%
>
>Portugal*0.3%
>Douro*0.3%
>Madeira*0.0%
>
>Australia*0.3%
>South Australia*0.3%
>Victoria*0.0%
>
>Argentina*0.0%
>Mendoza*0.0%
>
>Lebanon*0.0%
>Bekaa Valley*0.0%
>
>Top 10 producer (Pepiere and probably ESJ would be here if I listed everything)
>Louis Jadot*2.8%
>Dönnhoff*2.5%
>Trimbach*2.2%
>Domaine Huet*2.2%
>Domaine Robert Chevillon*2.1%
>Selbach-Oster*2.1%
>Willi Schaefer*1.8%
>Joseph Drouhin*1.8%
>Joh. Jos. Prüm*1.5%
>Chteau Lagrange (St. Julien)*1.3%
>Weingut Josef Leitz*1.2%

Also too lazy to do it properly, and a much smaller total than most of
you, but about:

France 62% of which
Bordeaux 15, roughly half Sauternes
Burgundy 4, mainly white
Alsace 11, all white
Rhone 20, mainly red;
Jura 6
Loire, Cahors, etc.

Germany, 9, and more red than white which surprised me

Italy 7

Spain 7

Argentina 3, Australia 5

US, mainly California, 4

Chile, S. Africa, Georgia, New Zealand, Portugal, Uruguay...

An interesting thread,

--
---
Sheila Page