Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Mostly Mencia (plus Rieslings, pinot d'alsace)

With cod and chickpeas in chipotle broth, the 2015 Merkelbach Urziger Wurzgarten Spatlese #1.
Citrus and red cherry, lighter styled, this is more like old style Spatlese than the more common recent Auslese in disguise. Long finish, lively. B++

Over to Daves for Mencia night. Wines were blind, but not sure anyone had enough knowledge to make that meaningful!

2013 Guimaro Finca Meixeman
My wine. Crunchy black raspberry fruit, peppery, spicy. Well balanced, full, delicious. B+/A-

2015 Guimaro Mencia
Redder fruits, more peppery spice, lighter. B+.

2011 Dominio de Tares Bierzo Cepas Viejas (MencĂ*a )
Black plums, herb, a little glossier than other wines but quite good. B/B+

2013 El Castro De Valtuille Joven Bierzo
Fruit forward, juicy, straight up. B

2014 Avancia €śCuvee de O€ť Mencia( Valdeorras )
Good, but somewhat Cabernetish, very ripe. B/B-

Vintage? Rectoral de Amandi Ribeira Sacra
Spicy, crunchy red fruits, very good. B+/B

Fun night with the guys

Following night we had a Thai skirt steak salad, I thought €śBetsy didnt have any Mencia€ť, that would work nicely, and I hadnt carried my backup bottle to cellar yet. The 2014 Decima Mencia (Ribeira Sacra) was lovely, spice, coffee, and violets over bright dark fruits. B+/A-

With a shrimp and bok choy ramen (with egg), a couple whites

2014 Barth Pinot dAlsace
Light and easy, pear and lemon with a little herb, good QPR. B/B+

2014 Eva Fricke Schlossberg Riesling
Big (BIG), but pure and crisp. Slatey minerality, citrus, apple, smoke. Impressive. B+/A-