Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: BioD Austrian, couple Calis, 1 bubbly, 1 almost-Soave, 1 rose

in between puppy work we got in a few wines:

The 2014 Meinklang (Burgenland) was a fresh berry driven red. Label says 60% Zweigelt/30% Blaufrankisch/10% St. Laurent, screwcapped and Demeter. Theres good acid, some light tannic, but this is mostly about the crunchy fruits. Black cherry and raspberry, some tobacco leaf. Nothing complex but good value at 11 bucks all in. B

Betsy often likes Champagne, but loved the NV Beaufort Grand Cru Reserve Brut Champagne (lot BGC, 10/12 disgorgement) At first sip I thought just a tad too sweet, but as I adjusted to the dosage it seemed fine. Floral, lots of citrus zest, just a touch of yeast and almond; with an elegant mousse and a long minerally figure. Get more. A-/B+

2015 Dirty and Rowdy Familiar Blanc (with rotini with scallop and broccoli)
Chenin Blanc, Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay, Melon, Roussanne, Viognier
Slightly cloudy, fresh acids, lemon curd and flowers. Fun. B

1996 Edmunds St. John Syrah (with grilled lamb rib chops, squash)
This is simply the California bottling, but really showing well. Smoky, with black fruits, spice and pepper. Smoky/bacony notes grow. Tannins pretty much resolved, not super long but very satisfying. No reason to wait on this! B+/A-

2015 Anselmi San Vincenzo
This isnt labeled Soave as it has a little Chard and SB, I think the former is allowed but not the SB. The Chardonnay shows as it comes off rounder than Gargenega , a rather lush texture with melon and white plum fruit. Clean and easy, if not compelling. B-

I grilled some tuna and we had a version of salade Nicoise (beans, potatoes, artichoke, oil cured olives, and the very non traditional eggplant)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Y...ew?usp=sharing
with
2015 Baudry Chinon Rose - red fruit, strawberry and cranberry, little citrus topnote, losing a little freshness but still good. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/12/17 10:22 AM, DaleW wrote:

> 2015 Dirty and Rowdy Familiar Blanc (with rotini with scallop and broccoli)
> Chenin Blanc, Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay, Melon, Roussanne, Viognier
> Slightly cloudy, fresh acids, lemon curd and flowers. Fun. B

The cloudiness and actual streaking of sediment in these bottles bugged
me a bit. My wife did not like the taste of these at all so we didn't
order any more but the Mouvedre is outstanding.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/12/17 12:22 PM, DaleW wrote:
> in between puppy work we got in a few wines:
>
> Betsy often likes Champagne, but loved the NV Beaufort Grand Cru
> Reserve Brut Champagne (lot BGC, 10/12 disgorgement) At first sip I
> thought just a tad too sweet, but as I adjusted to the dosage it
> seemed fine. Floral, lots of citrus zest, just a touch of yeast and
> almond; with an elegant mousse and a long minerally figure. Get more.
> A-/B+

Interesting. I've never come across this producer. Jean loves bubbly,
but her preferences run more to BdB non-dosé (though she did recently
like a Pur Meunier Champagne quite a bit)

> 2015 Baudry Chinon Rose - red fruit, strawberry and cranberry, little
> citrus topnote, losing a little freshness but still good. B

I drank my last in March with much the same result.

Thanks for the interesting notes, Dale.

Mark Lipton