Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: ESJ, Luneau-Papin, Porter Creek, and an Albarino to celebrate new pup

After a couple of lonely months, we got a new pup from Basset rescue. Ruby is 5 months old
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Y...ew?usp=sharing

Some assorted wines to celebrate

With flounder, the 2009 Luneau-Papin €śSemper Excelsior€ť Muscadet. Rich, almost fat style of Muscadet, but anchored by some good acids. Pear, citrus and a touch of peach, with some mineral notes on finish. Not especially Melon-ish, but tasty. B+

2015 Lagar de Broullon Albarino
This actually tastes more like Muscadet than the Muscadet, salty/oyster shell notes, snappy acids, citrus, good QPR> B+/A-

With assorted leftovers, the 2016 Edmunds St John Bone Jolly Rose. Strawberries, a little citrus zest, good but I didnt pay enough attention as it was first night with pup. Will open another soon,

With pork, the 2015 Edmunds St John Gamay noir. Screwcap, and a little reductive note at first, but it blows off, and a pretty wine is there, raspberries and cherries, a pleasant herby/stemmy note. Fresh and food friendly, but not very long. B+/B

With skirt steak, the 2013 Porter Creek €śTimbervine€ť Syrah (RRV). Light for CA syrah (13.4), with pepper and herb notes I like but other might not. Good acids, blackberry and black cherry fruit, light green herb notes, lively. B+

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/3/17 9:58 AM, DaleW wrote:
> After a couple of lonely months, we got a new pup from Basset rescue. Ruby is 5 months old
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Y...ew?usp=sharing
>
> Some assorted wines to celebrate
>
> With flounder, the 2009 Luneau-Papin €śSemper Excelsior€ť Muscadet. Rich, almost fat style of Muscadet, but anchored by some good acids. Pear, citrus and a touch of peach, with some mineral notes on finish. Not especially Melon-ish, but tasty. B+
>
> 2015 Lagar de Broullon Albarino
> This actually tastes more like Muscadet than the Muscadet, salty/oyster shell notes, snappy acids, citrus, good QPR> B+/A-
>
> With assorted leftovers, the 2016 Edmunds St John Bone Jolly Rose. Strawberries, a little citrus zest, good but I didnt pay enough attention as it was first night with pup. Will open another soon,
>
> With pork, the 2015 Edmunds St John Gamay noir. Screwcap, and a little reductive note at first, but it blows off, and a pretty wine is there, raspberries and cherries, a pleasant herby/stemmy note. Fresh and food friendly, but not very long. B+/B
>
> With skirt steak, the 2013 Porter Creek €śTimbervine€ť Syrah (RRV). Light for CA syrah (13.4), with pepper and herb notes I like but other might not. Good acids, blackberry and black cherry fruit, light green herb notes, lively. B+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Good lineup. This is a new Muscadet to me and I will try it.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/3/17 10:58 AM, DaleW wrote:
> After a couple of lonely months, we got a new pup from Basset rescue.
> Ruby is 5 months old
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Y...ew?usp=sharing

Congrats, Dale! I hope that the pup can live up to the memory of Lucy.

> Some assorted wines to celebrate
>
> With flounder, the 2009 Luneau-Papin €śSemper Excelsior€ť Muscadet.
> Rich, almost fat style of Muscadet, but anchored by some good acids.
> Pear, citrus and a touch of peach, with some mineral notes on finish.
> Not especially Melon-ish, but tasty. B+

I don't think that I've ever had that bottling. Is it one of the
extended-lees-exposure bottlings, a la Pepiere's Gras Moutons and
Clisson? I'm still on the fence about these.

> With assorted leftovers, the 2016 Edmunds St John Bone Jolly Rose.
> Strawberries, a little citrus zest, good but I didnt pay enough
> attention as it was first night with pup. Will open another soon,
>
> With pork, the 2015 Edmunds St John Gamay noir. Screwcap, and a
> little reductive note at first, but it blows off, and a pretty wine
> is there, raspberries and cherries, a pleasant herby/stemmy note.
> Fresh and food friendly, but not very long. B+/B

Good to hear about these. I just picked them up last week when visiting
Steve in CA (he can't ship to IN) and have yet to try.

I also picked up a number of his "library" wines (I presume you got the
same email about them). We did open one of them, the 1995 Les Cotes
Sauvage with broiled rack of lamb. Wow, what a great wine! I can
hardly wait to open up some of the older Syrahs I picked up.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 2:48:01 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:

> Congrats, Dale! I hope that the pup can live up to the memory of Lucy.

Hard going from a 14 yr old dog to a 5 1/2 mo old, but she's adorable

> I don't think that I've ever had that bottling. Is it one of the
> extended-lees-exposure bottlings, a la Pepiere's Gras Moutons and
> Clisson? I'm still on the fence about these.

I don't think the Gras Moutons is extended?
This is , along the lines of the Pepiere Clisson, and I quite like them both, but think of them more as white Burg styled rather than classic Muscadet.

> I also picked up a number of his "library" wines (I presume you got the
> same email about them). We did open one of them, the 1995 Les Cotes
> Sauvage with broiled rack of lamb. Wow, what a great wine! I can
> hardly wait to open up some of the older Syrahs I picked up.

Good to hear, I got a couple of those in library sale (and '94, '93 was sold out).

[TN] 2002 Luneau-Papin L D'Or Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 20-09-2008 12:28 PM
TN ESJ Rose, Luneau-Papin, De Courcel DaleW Wine 0 29-07-2007 05:56 PM
Domaine Luneau-Papin Emery Davis Wine 7 26-05-2007 09:53 AM
TN: 1997 Luneau-Papin Muscadet DaleW Wine 3 02-02-2006 11:46 PM
TN: 2004 Luneau-Papin Muscadet DaleW Wine 2 28-08-2005 09:25 PM