FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: 4 2002 Burgs, 4 2002 Bdx, plus a Huet and a Collin bubbly (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/440726-tn-4-2002-burgs.html)

DaleW 03-03-2017 10:24 PM

TN: 4 2002 Burgs, 4 2002 Bdx, plus a Huet and a Collin bubbly

Polling our Bordeaux group, we didnt have enough people with 2002 Bordeaux to do a full dinner, so we decided to do 2002 Burgs and Bdx. On a warm February night we gathered at Riverpark.

A bubbly and a white with a charcuterie plate - lingua, campagne, duck prosciutto, testa, duck liver mousse with gelee, a coarse pate (head cheese?), funky smoked olives.

NV Ulysse Collin Maillons Champagne
Im told this is Blanc de Noirs, dry, yeasty, big, good length, very nice. B+/A-

2015 Huet Le Haut Lieu Vouvray Demi-Sec
Softer than I expected, apple with wool, citrus peel and honey on finish. Really tasty, just might not be one to cellar. B+

I envied those with pasta, but watching calories, and enjoyed my artic char crudo

2002 Francois Gaunoux €śClos des Chenes€ť Volnay
Elegant, lacy, bright red fruits, long tangy finish. A-/B+

2002 Pousse dOr Corton-Bressandes
This is more about potential than present day drinking, some coiled tannin, black cherry, earth, but pretty tight. A B for drinking now.

2002 Hudelot-Noellat Les Suchots Vosne Romanee
This has some funk - too much for a couple people, but not for me. Black cherry, a bit of barnyard, earth, cocoa. Nice balance of fruit and tannin, just entering its drinking window. B+/A-

2002 Hudelot-Noellat Beaumonts Vosne Romanee
Spicy, a little sandalwood, red and black cherries, some backbone, I quite enjoy. A-/B+

I had some quite tasty and perfectly cooked lamb chops, felt a little guilty because those with big ribeyes got some overcooked beef.

2002 Ch. Pichon Baron
Dark fruit, some leather and spice, sturdy and straightforward. Masculine style of Bordeaux. B+

2002 Ch. Cos DEstournel
I liked this better than some - this is a tasty bottle of Cali! Oops, it's St Estephe. More fruit driven than I expected, sweet cassis, still a bit of vanilla, good length. B

2002 La Mission Haut-Brion
Maybe just in an awkward phase, but not a lot of pleasure here. Fruit is there but with a dull edge, tannic but lacking freshness. There are some cigarbox/leather aromas, but also hint of caramel. Maybe everything will hold on and become more unified as tannins resolve, but Im not sure. B-

2002 Ch. Palmer
Most complex of the clarets to me. Red berry fruit, some smoke, cedar, earth. Nice smooth mouthfeel and a good finish B+/A-

Restaurant sent out some desserts, good service though the meat doneness was a real issue with others food (they decided not to send back). Fun night with good people.

We did our 3/2/1 voting
WOTN totals:
Gaunoux Chenes 12
Pichon Baron 12