Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Lots of Kalin (especially DD), plus bubbles

A nice small group gathered at Johns in Croton for a look at some Kalin, especially the DD PN. We were greeted by cheeses, saucisson sec, mousse, and the 2006 Pol Roger Brut. Full-bodied, crisp, apple and pear over chalky soil tones and toasted bread. Elegant mousse, nice. B+/A-

2001 Kalin €śLivermore Valley€ť Sauvignon Blanc Reserve
Never guess SB on nose (theres actually 20% Semillon, but I though Scotts Ribolla Gialla comment was spot on- nutty with pear and citrus. Good acids but with an oily taste like a Rhone white. Some others liked more. B-

1997 Kalin €śPotter Valley€ť Sauvignon Blanc Reserve
Fresher, serious acids, lemon and pit fruits, touch of oak. This also has 20% Semillon, and could be a good ringer in a white Bordeaux lineup. B+/A-
(I heard this got even better, but I was driving and mostly spitting, and didnt do any revisiting once we had gone through lineup)

On to the reds
1999 Kalin €śCuvee DD€ť Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)
Damn, TCA.

1996 Kalin €śCuvee DD€ť Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)
Lots of acids, minty, black cherry, earth. Some thought too shrill and preferred "94, but lovely to me. A-

1994 Kalin €śCuvee DD€ť Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)
Plummy, red fruited, eucalytpus, quite elegant. . B+/A-

1988 Kalin €śCuvee DD€ť Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)
A tad volatile, a funky brett meets metal, but with some solid material underneath. Someone said cleaned up, I again didnt visit. B-/B

1987 Kalin €śCuvee DD€ť Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)
Red fruited (raspberry and cherry) cocoa, herbs, good acids, complete. Beautiful and long, and my WOTN. A-/A

Somewhere in here we had a couple palate cleansers

NV (LC14) Prevost €śLa Closerie Les Beguines€ť Extra Brut Champagne
All 2014, I believe Doug said all pinot meunier. Brioche, citrus rind, apple. Fine mousse, long finish. Lovely A-

2012 Ultramarine Blanc de Noirs
I liked the 2012 BdB a lot, but this came across as blowsy and coarse. Certainly the order didnt help- the sugar stood out after the non-dosage Prevost, but retasting later seemed no better. C+/B-

1986 Kalin €śCuvee DD€ť Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)
Red fruit, coffee, eucalyptus, lots of structure. This actually seemed to need a little time. B+

1982 Kalin €śCuvee DD€ť Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)
Odd, corked in a chloriney kind of way.

1981 Kalin €śCuvee DD€ť Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)
Earth, black fruits (berries and plums), herbs, quite complex. A-

1980 Kalin €śCuvee DD€ť Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)
Sweeter fruit, a little caramel, mushrooms and earth. B/B+

John did a duck breast with a PN/cherry sauce and excellent couscous, by the way.

(Mystery 1988 Napa)
Red fruits, a bit green, some tannic structure but a bit clipped/short. 1988 Forman B-/C+

1986 Kalin €śSonoma€ť Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
Herby (John says dried eucalyptus), currants and black cherry,full, good length. B+

And two dessert wines
1989 Kalin €śCuvee dOr€ť Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc (375 ml)
A late harvest botrytized wine, orange marmalade and honey, everyone says a good Sauternes ringer but I think theres a waxy/wooly thing that would do well with dessert Loires with some age. A-/B+

1984 Kalin €śCuvee dOr€ť Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc
Mature, honied, an odd spicy note (Scott says caraway seed, but to me it reminds me of the tadka (tempered spices) you add to dhal etc). Interesting and funky but I like the "89 a LOT more. B-

Just a great tasting. Kalin continues to impress. We were marvelling (with the "99 PN and "01 whites being current releases ) at how much must be in warehouse. Great wines, delicious food, great company.