Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Qupe Syrah, Ecard SlB, Bouchard Meursault, Red New (Finger Lakes) Riesling

I forgot one from weekend- 2008 Qupe Bien Nacido Vineyard The Good Nacido Block X Syrah. I dont have a lot of Qupe experience (and that mostly white) but picked this up as some posters cited as a non-Parkerized producer of Syrah. This was not what I expected- dark color, roasted and toasted on nose, ripe blackberry fruit buried under tannin and oak. Very tannic finish. I thought a little hot but turns out 13.8. I thought I might be tasting something in the ESJ range but instead this is like hot climate Petite Sirah. Big and not my style. C+ (sure those who like style would rate much higher)

Monday David joined us at Betsys sister for a family party. Cal made ricotta/thyme/honey and garlic/parmesan bruschetta; I did prosciutto/fig rolls, cuke with smoked salmon and a curry spread, and potato/creme fraiche/roe canapes. Main course was a red lentil soup with a Brussels sprout salad.

2014 Red Newt Dry Riesling
Not bone dry, but just a trace of RS. Lighter styled, crisp acids, apple and peach fruit, not very long but a tasty apertif Riesling. B

2014 Bouchard Les Clous Meursault
Little if any oak notes, ripe pear fruit, hint of butterscotch and honeycomb. Good acids for such ripe fruit. B/B+

1988 Ecard Narbantons Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
I thought this might be corked at first but it was just some bottle funk that blew away. Raspberry & cranberry fruit perks up with air, but there is some oxidation edging in. Still, shows well and holds on, with the fruit accented with spice and sandalwood. B

Last night everyone had big days and were too bushed to cook. Betsys mom took us to Harpers for dinner. I had fried cauliflower and roast chicken, Betsy had fried oysters and salad, her mom a burger. Owner brought us a plate of robiola ravioli with black truffle. I had driven and declared this no wine night, sad as it turns out if was half-price bottle night and they have a fine list (ESJ Syrah, Arnot Roberts Chard, some Trousseau, and more)