Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Thanksgiving week- FR and CA PN, CA Gew, Fr Chards, Luberon

No wines Monday (pappardelle with radicchio), Tuesday Betsy made beef stroganoff. Recipe called for white wine, she opened the 2015 La Vieille Ferme blanc, I tried when I got home (checking on 5 buses of guests for a Thanksgiving dinner). Good acid for Southern Rhonish white, lemony with a little straw note, decent finish. Good $7-8 wine to have around for cooking. B/B-

Dinner wine was the 2012 Louis Boillot Bourgogne Rouge. Red cherries and cranberry, earth, floral notes. Good grip, nice, good bargain at $20 and free shipping. B+/B

Wednesday was roasted grouper, couscous, and broccoli, wine was the 2013 Jaeger-Defaix €śLes Clous€ť Rully 1er. A little overt oak, sweet apple and pear, stood up to fish but a little obvious by itself. B-

Thursday Betsy made turkey (Serious Eats recipe for spatchcocked with porchetta spices, a do-again) and mushroom jus, I did 2 cornbread dressings (oyster and giblet). We carried those plus some shrimp/mango canapes and taramasalata to her sister's. They had salmon, Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and more.

Rare Wine Company €śLe Mesnil€ť Champagne
Nice bargain blanc de blanc. Pear, green apple, hazelnut, and chalk. Medium bodied, fresh, easy. B

2015 Navarro Gewurztraminer (Anderson Valley)
Tropical, floral, a little soft. Ive liked this in previous vintages, but this seemed a little dilute and low acid. Usually I find Gewurz the most distinctive variety, but I think with this blind I might have guessed Viognier. B-/C+

2003 Littorai €śLes Larmes€ť Pinot Noir (Anderson Valley)
Black cherry, pomegranate, smoke. Just enough tannin and acid to keep lively, ready and tasty. B+

Good (fairly quiet) thanksgiving! No wine Fri on flight to CdG, now in Bordeaux (for a cruise, and yes we're the youngest people we've seen)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 7:46:30 AM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:
> No wines Monday (pappardelle with radicchio), Tuesday Betsy made beef stroganoff. Recipe called for white wine, she opened the 2015 La Vieille Ferme blanc, I tried when I got home (checking on 5 buses of guests for a Thanksgiving dinner). Good acid for Southern Rhonish white, lemony with a little straw note, decent finish. Good $7-8 wine to have around for cooking. B/B-
>
> Dinner wine was the 2012 Louis Boillot Bourgogne Rouge. Red cherries and cranberry, earth, floral notes. Good grip, nice, good bargain at $20 and free shipping. B+/B
>
> Wednesday was roasted grouper, couscous, and broccoli, wine was the 2013 Jaeger-Defaix €śLes Clous€ť Rully 1er. A little overt oak, sweet apple and pear, stood up to fish but a little obvious by itself. B-
>
> Thursday Betsy made turkey (Serious Eats recipe for spatchcocked with porchetta spices, a do-again) and mushroom jus, I did 2 cornbread dressings (oyster and giblet). We carried those plus some shrimp/mango canapes and taramasalata to her sister's. They had salmon, Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and more.
>
> Rare Wine Company €śLe Mesnil€ť Champagne
> Nice bargain blanc de blanc. Pear, green apple, hazelnut, and chalk. Medium bodied, fresh, easy. B
>
> 2015 Navarro Gewurztraminer (Anderson Valley)
> Tropical, floral, a little soft. Ive liked this in previous vintages, but this seemed a little dilute and low acid. Usually I find Gewurz the most distinctive variety, but I think with this blind I might have guessed Viognier. B-/C+
>
> 2003 Littorai €śLes Larmes€ť Pinot Noir (Anderson Valley)
> Black cherry, pomegranate, smoke. Just enough tannin and acid to keep lively, ready and tasty. B+
>
> Good (fairly quiet) thanksgiving! No wine Fri on flight to CdG, now in Bordeaux (for a cruise, and yes we're the youngest people we've seen)
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I think the Boillot is a terrific bargain. Not many to be had these days from Burgundy.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/30/16 9:56 AM, Bi!! wrote:

>> Dinner wine was the 2012 Louis Boillot Bourgogne Rouge. Red
>> cherries and cranberry, earth, floral notes. Good grip, nice, good
>> bargain at $20 and free shipping. B+/B

>> 2015 Navarro Gewurztraminer (Anderson Valley) Tropical, floral, a
>> little soft. Ive liked this in previous vintages, but this seemed
>> a little dilute and low acid. Usually I find Gewurz the most
>> distinctive variety, but I think with this blind I might have
>> guessed Viognier. B-/C+

Sorry to hear that, Dale. Jean just ordered some wines from Navarro and
I'm sure got some of the Gewurz as it's one of her favorites.

> I think the Boillot is a terrific bargain. Not many to be had these
> days from Burgundy.

I've heard good things about Boillot, too, and just got some of his
wines. He's also Ghislaine Barthod's husband IIRC.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 12:12:55 PM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 11/30/16 9:56 AM, Bi!! wrote:
>
> >> Dinner wine was the 2012 Louis Boillot Bourgogne Rouge. Red
> >> cherries and cranberry, earth, floral notes. Good grip, nice, good
> >> bargain at $20 and free shipping. B+/B

> >> 2015 Navarro Gewurztraminer (Anderson Valley) Tropical, floral, a
> >> little soft. Ive liked this in previous vintages, but this seemed
> >> a little dilute and low acid. Usually I find Gewurz the most
> >> distinctive variety, but I think with this blind I might have
> >> guessed Viognier. B-/C+

> Sorry to hear that, Dale. Jean just ordered some wines from Navarro and
> I'm sure got some of the Gewurz as it's one of her favorites.
>

> > I think the Boillot is a terrific bargain. Not many to be had these
> > days from Burgundy.
> >

> I've heard good things about Boillot, too, and just got some of his
> wines. He's also Ghislaine Barthod's husband IIRC.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

You are correct Barthod and Boillot are married.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/1/16 9:35 AM, Bi!! wrote:
> [...]

I really enjoy the H. Boillot Rose Champagne as well.

TN: Week of wines- Pinots, Pineau, Chards, Gamays, Sangiovese, Romarantin DaleW Wine 1 29-08-2016 07:29 PM
TN: Thanksgiving Week Wines (mostly French and US) DaleW Wine 2 04-12-2015 02:54 AM
3 Chards Bi!! Wine 2 18-01-2011 04:36 PM
2 Chards Bi!! Wine 2 12-01-2010 08:28 PM
Old Chards Bill Spohn Wine 8 23-12-2003 06:55 AM