Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 86 H-Medoc, BdB, Burgs, Austrians, Corsican pink, CdR,

No Runs Tuesday or Wednesday (driving to city and board meeting), Thursday I made a pork/cauliflower casserole, and opened the 2009 Knoll Ried Kellerberg Durnsteiner Riesling Smaragd. Ripe exotic fruit (guava, mango) with splendid acids, powerful but not overbearing. Theres a gingery note to finish. Very tasty. A-

Friday was assorted leftovers, and I opened a bottle of the 2008 St Cosme €śLes Deux Albion€ť Cotes du Rhone that was accidentally cellared. Fruit is holding on, but I kind of wish it wasnt - jammy dark fruits, sweet edged, thick tasting. C+

I really couldnt face drinking the CdR (though I revisited a couple of times), and for my dinner opened the 2015 Abbattuci €śFaustine€ť rose. Not a fruit driven rose, though theres plenty of strawberries there, but mingled with herbs, wet rocks, and pine needle. B+

Saturday was local flounder with a caper sauce, lentil salad, leeks, and arugula. Wine was the
2014 Fichet Bourgogne Aligote. Typical Aligote acids, lemon and orange, tangy without being sharp. Good value. B/B+

A couple of friends came over Sunday. I had canapes of smoked salmon on pumpernickel with a horseradish spread, and opened the NV Le Mesnil €śRare Wine Company Cuvee€ť Blanc de Blanc Champagne. This is a co-op wine that RWC contracts for, and they recently had on sale ($26) with free shipping. Really a fine deal. Pure Chardonnay fruit (green apple and pear), warm bread, nice chalky note on finish. Youre not going to mistake this for Comtes, but as good of a under$30 BdB as Ive had in many years. B+

There was also the 2013 Ehmoser €śHohenberg€ť Gruner Veltliner, Peach, pear, and a little white pepper. Good typicity, if not especially exciting. B/B-

I had made mushrooms and pak choi, had some tuna steaks for the grill, and Marc brought a lovely 2 lb ribeye from our new whole animal butcher. Grilled the surf and the turf, and we had a couple of reds

1986 Sociando-Mallet
Took a little while in the decanter to sort itself out, but quite nice once it does. Still a bit of tannin, but not intrusive, solid cassis fruit with cedar, green herbs, and a little anise. Good length, pretty classic Sociando. B+

2007 Bart €śEchezots€ť Marsannay
A pointe, sweet black cherry fruit, double smoked bacon, earth. Nice balance, good finish. Seems like "07s are mostly drinking nicely now. B+

Fun night. No wine Monday with white beans, sauteed arugula, and leftovers.