Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Loires, roses, Bdx, Soave (sweet), Cerdon, Champagne

Wednesday was linguine with shrimp and leeks, and the 2014 Pepiere Briords Muscadet. Classic, saline, seashelly, long. A-

Thursday we hosted a group welcoming some former NYers visiting from Asheville.
Started with pate, rillettes, and sable butter crostini. Wine was the 1996 Henriot Brut Champagne, which has been variable, but this was easily the best bottle Ive had. Quite complex with pear, brioche, and sour apple candy flavors. Good acids, lively. A-

One NC visitor likes bubbles through the meal, I also opened the NV Lingot Martin Cerdon.
Raspberry pop, a litte black cherry, moderate sweetness. Most of my Bugey-Cerdon experience is with Renardat-Fache, which I think has a little complexity missing here, but this is still fun. B-

First course was individual pumpkin ramekins, I opened the 2004 Paul Hobbs Chardonnay (RRV)Wow, oak hasnt integrated at all, this is just oak/vanilla on top of overripe peach/apple fruit with a lactic note on finish. C

2009 Cotat Les Monts Damnes Sancerre
Big powerful with good acids, matched well with the pumpkin, good length. B+

Betsy made the Ottolenghi chicken with onions and cardamom rice, another guest brought a tomato cucumber salad. We tried a variety of wines

2015 Pampelonne Rose (Cotes de Provence) .Lighter styled Provencal pink, fresh, not particularly exciting but goes well with the dish. B

2015 Artner Rose - Zweigelt pink. A little candied, could be crisper, but ok

1989 Duhart-Milon (Pauillac)
This seemed a bit clunky and never really opened up. Some cassis, still some tannin, not very long. A bit disappointing, B-/C+

1996 Gini RenobilisRecioto di Soave (375 ml)
And now for something completely different. Honied, musky, floral, with a long finish. Never had a dessert Soave before, quite interesting. B+/B

Fun night with friends