Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pairing advice

I'm serving grilled smoked pork chops this weekend and I'm vacillating over wine choices. Starting our with a pumpkin/roasted chipotle bisque which I'm pairing with Riesling. I haven't decided but I'm leaning towards 2005 JJ Prum VDP Wehlener Sonnenuhr VDP or 2005 Willi Shaefer Graacher Domprobst Auslese #10. I will be grilling the smoked pork chops probably with a basic BBQ type sauce as a glaze. Rose? Pinot Noir?, More Riesling?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/21/16 10:21 AM, Bi!! wrote:
> I'm serving grilled smoked pork chops this weekend and I'm
> vacillating over wine choices. Starting our with a pumpkin/roasted
> chipotle bisque which I'm pairing with Riesling. I haven't decided
> but I'm leaning towards 2005 JJ Prum VDP Wehlener Sonnenuhr VDP or
> 2005 Willi Shaefer Graacher Domprobst Auslese #10. I will be grilling
> the smoked pork chops probably with a basic BBQ type sauce as a
> glaze. Rose? Pinot Noir?, More Riesling?

Wow, Bill. What Prädikat is the Prüm? Either of those choices would be
great IMO. For the latter question, Riesling and smoked pork is a great
combination to me. Drier expressions would be OK or an off-dry one.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 10:21:47 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> I'm serving grilled smoked pork chops this weekend and I'm vacillating over wine choices. Starting our with a pumpkin/roasted chipotle bisque which I'm pairing with Riesling. I haven't decided but I'm leaning towards 2005 JJ Prum VDP Wehlener Sonnenuhr VDP or 2005 Willi Shaefer Graacher Domprobst Auslese #10. I will be grilling the smoked pork chops probably with a basic BBQ type sauce as a glaze. Rose? Pinot Noir?, More Riesling?

Like Mark my first choice would be Riesling, but maybe drier than the '05 Auslese (which sounds great with the bisque). Austrian, Alsatian, or maybe a GG or feinherb German. Rose would work too. Both the smoke and the BBQ sauce (which I assume has some sugar) make those more attractive to me than red. That said, there are always people who prefer red, so you might also do a Gamay or lighter styled Zin. Or just serve a red you like and say "I think the rose (or white) would be a better choice, but try both and see what you like" (and I just drink my red after I finish the course).
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 12:42:55 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 10/21/16 10:21 AM, Bi!! wrote:
> > I'm serving grilled smoked pork chops this weekend and I'm
> > vacillating over wine choices. Starting our with a pumpkin/roasted
> > chipotle bisque which I'm pairing with Riesling. I haven't decided
> > but I'm leaning towards 2005 JJ Prum VDP Wehlener Sonnenuhr VDP or
> > 2005 Willi Shaefer Graacher Domprobst Auslese #10. I will be grilling
> > the smoked pork chops probably with a basic BBQ type sauce as a
> > glaze. Rose? Pinot Noir?, More Riesling?
> >

> Wow, Bill. What Prädikat is the Prüm? Either of those choices would be
> great IMO. For the latter question, Riesling and smoked pork is a great
> combination to me. Drier expressions would be OK or an off-dry one.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

It's the Auslese...I thought I had typed that in in original. Opted for the Shaefer...delicious with the bisque.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 2:33:58 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 10:21:47 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> > I'm serving grilled smoked pork chops this weekend and I'm vacillating over wine choices. Starting our with a pumpkin/roasted chipotle bisque which I'm pairing with Riesling. I haven't decided but I'm leaning towards 2005 JJ Prum VDP Wehlener Sonnenuhr VDP or 2005 Willi Shaefer Graacher Domprobst Auslese #10. I will be grilling the smoked pork chops probably with a basic BBQ type sauce as a glaze. Rose? Pinot Noir?, More Riesling?

> Like Mark my first choice would be Riesling, but maybe drier than the '05 Auslese (which sounds great with the bisque). Austrian, Alsatian, or maybe a GG or feinherb German. Rose would work too. Both the smoke and the BBQ sauce (which I assume has some sugar) make those more attractive to me than red. That said, there are always people who prefer red, so you might also do a Gamay or lighter styled Zin. Or just serve a red you like and say "I think the rose (or white) would be a better choice, but try both and see what you like" (and I just drink my red after I finish the course).

I went with a 2011 Aubert UV-SL Vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir with the smoked pork. It was a great pairing. The Aubert wasn't heavy or cloying and flavors paired wonderfully. Thanks Mark and Dale for your input. FYI...the Shaefer was incredible. Certainly not dry but very well balanced and a wonderful acidity on the finish made it very food friendly.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 4:21:47 PM UTC+2, Bi!! wrote:
> I'm serving grilled smoked pork chops this weekend and I'm vacillating over wine choices. Starting our with a pumpkin/roasted chipotle bisque which I'm pairing with Riesling. I haven't decided but I'm leaning towards 2005 JJ Prum VDP Wehlener Sonnenuhr VDP or 2005 Willi Shaefer Graacher Domprobst Auslese #10. I will be grilling the smoked pork chops probably with a basic BBQ type sauce as a glaze. Rose? Pinot Noir?, More Riesling?

Riosa reserva
Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >
Michael Nielsen > wrote:

> On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 4:21:47 PM UTC+2, Bi!! wrote:
>> I'm serving grilled smoked pork chops this weekend and I'm vacillating
>> over wine choices. Starting our with a pumpkin/roasted chipotle
>> bisque which I'm pairing with Riesling. I haven't decided but I'm
>> leaning towards 2005 JJ Prum VDP Wehlener Sonnenuhr VDP or 2005 Willi
>> Shaefer Graacher Domprobst Auslese #10. I will be grilling the smoked
>> pork chops probably with a basic BBQ type sauce as a glaze. Rose?
>> Pinot Noir?, More Riesling?

> Riosa reserva

Or how about white Rioja or one of the dryer Alsace Gewurztaminers? I
love the latter with all sorts of smoked food or food with a slightly
spicy sauce.

Tim Hartley

Wagyu beef pairing advice Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 30-06-2013 03:48 AM
Pairing help Bi!! Wine 8 02-05-2010 10:55 PM
Help with pairing Zeppo Wine 16 29-09-2009 06:00 PM
Advice concerning pairing SGN Gewürztraminer 1994 Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 12 02-02-2006 04:28 PM
Superauto advice (UK based but any advice on machines appreciated) Copterman Coffee 5 24-12-2004 07:47 PM