Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: I host SOBER- Burgs, Champers, Bdx, CdP, CA, Riesling

So my turn to host SOBER. I took advantage of it being Columbus Day to leave office an hour early. I had just gotten home when there was a knock on the door. A passerby had almost hit a small dog in the road. I recognized the dog, but when I took Spencer to his house, no one was home. Apparently he jumped out a 2nd floor window, but was unhurt. Took him to my house/yard, where he and Lucy played for 2 hours (loudly). I was very worried that we were going to have him through dinner/tasting, but eventually his owner came home. Whew.

OK, so I was a little behind on tasting prep. Luckily Betsy had done vast majority of cooking. As people arrived we greeted them with charcuterie from new butcher (pork rilletes, lamb pate, pork pate, chicken liver mousse, lonzino) cheeses (Hayley Bazen, Humboldt Fog, Cabot Cheddar) and smoked sable spread on pumpernickel. And 2 Champagnes:

1982 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB
Just a bit of bubbles left, judge this more as a still wine. Deep flavors of brioche, orange zest, and apple. Despite scarcity of bubbles pretty lively on palate. Holding on. B/B+

2000 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Rose
This was rocking. Deep, pure, elegant. Red berry fruit surrounded with biscuits, citrus zest, and gunflint. Great acids, fine mousse, long finish. A/A-

On to the blind reds. As our house is small, I set up a decanting station on top of the laundry machines.

First flight
John immediately said red Burg, everyone agreed first one was pretty advanced, some disagreement on second. Craig made a guess of "72 for both, not bad

1971 Bardot Clos de la Roche Reserve
Never heard of this negociant before. On nose pretty maderized. Shows better on palate, but just fingernails clawing out of the grave. C+/C

1972 Bouree Chambertin
This is clearly tiring, but I think it shows ok if tired, probably would have been quite fine 10-15 years ago. John thinks maybe storage, I think just tired. Tertiary earth notes, slightly roasted fruit, fun to try. B

Second flight ( with spinach tofu miso napoleons)

1989 Zind Humbrecht Turckheim Riesling
John started off with a roll- with no misses, he guessed Riesling, then Alsace, then 1989. When he guessed Boxler Craig countered with ZH. John then nailed vineyard on next guess. 4 out of 5 pretty impressive. Still young, dry but not bone dry, Apple, peach, ginger. B+

1993 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Spatlese
John guessed Mosel, when I said €śnow€ť he said Saar and then Saarburger Rausch. Lovely showing, fresh and long. Great acids, just a bit of RS, not one of the modern Spatlese in Auslese mode wines. A-

Third flight
1991 Niellon €śVergers€ť Chassagne Montrachet 1er
Good showing, initial guesses were all around 2007, people were shocked a "91 could show this young. Once we got past vintage shock Craig guessed Chassagne, and then John got Neillon and Vergers. Crisp, fresh pear with a little hazelnut, good length. B+/A-

2002 Remi Jobard €śCharmes€ť Meursault 1er
Fuller, richer style, Craig got Meursault. Honied white fruit, some light oak, good acids and length. B+

Non blind flight. John is doing an article about Ric Formans career (especially Sterling years) and I thought it would be fun to throw these in.

1985 Forman Cabernet
This was my favorite of the group, and the only one I might consider rebuying. Herby, but with a good underlay of red fruits, good acids, still just a touch of tannin. Mint/eucalyptus, solid length. B+

1986 Forman Cabernet
Couple people liked this, but this was herby but more in a green/tangy/medicinal way than the "85, yet with a sweet jamminess. . A bit like a true offvintage Loire Cab franc with a tablespoon of blackberry jam stirred in. C+

1987 Forman Cabernet
Straightforward CalCab, darker fruits, modest acid, resolved tannins, a little dull. B-

Betsy had made Ming Tsai short ribs with orzo and Napa cabbage stew

Fourth blind flight
Cathleen got Rhone quickly, but it took a while to get vintage/wine
1990 Mont Redon Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Herbal, warm plum fruits, fully mature. B

1990 Clos des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Red fruits, fresh for a "90, lots of garrique/underbrush, rosemary. B+/A-

Fifth Blind Flight
By now I wasnt keeping track of guesses, but group immediately went Bordeaux, I think John and Craig drilled down to exact wines in a few guesses.
1986 Gruaud Larose
Young, full, tannic (I should have given more decanter time) -muscular St Julien that needs time. B+

1986 Meyney
Mature and ready. Cassis fruit, leather and cigarbox, mostly resolved tannins, drinking well. B++

Fun night (once I knew we didnt have an extra dog)

Tuesday I grilled some salmon which we had with squash and some leftover wine. The Comtes rose was still brilliant, the Gruaud showed better, both Rieslings were fine, the Mont Redon had cracked up. I also tried the wine Betsy had used for the short rib braise, the 2013 Clos du Caillou €śBouquet des Garrigues€ť Cotes du Rhone. No bouquet of garrigue that I could detect, just really ripe Grenache (sure its a blend, but this is really kirsch/raspberry jam). B-/C+