Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Provence, Liguria, Alsace, Mosel, St Julien

Thursday was grilled chicken breast, tomatillo salsa, pesto quinoa, salad, with the 2011 Steinmetz Dhroner Hofberg GD Riesling. OK, I confess I bought this from a closeout bin and actually thought it said GG.. But it was dry, and it was tasty. Apple, pear, ginger, and floral notes. Pretty big, pretty long. But drinks more like Wachau than Mosel. B/B+

Friday I made dinner as Betsy and her sister came back from the beach, her BIL joined us, we had a nice dinner on the patio. Started with pate grandmere and the
2015 Pampelonne rose (Cotes de Provence).Pale, cherry and mineral, moderate acids. B/B-

First we had lobster salad (citrus dressing, tarragon, arugula), wine was the 2009 F. Cotat Les Culs de Beaujeau Sancerre. 15%, maybe just slightly hot on its own, but comes across as balanced with the food. Citrus, floral, and earthy notes, full and long. B+/A-

Main was skirt steak, squash, &caprese. Wine was the 1998 Leoville Poyferre.. Red currant and plums, a little tobacco, not bad but with some rather tacky tannin. OK, but I almost never find Medoc 98s to have a wow factor like the Graves and RB wines. B

Saturday we had carbonara (bucatini and guanciale), spatcokced chiclen with a fennel/herb/lemon rub, haricots verts, and salad.

2014 La Bettigna Vermentino (Colli di Luni)
I like Ligurian whites and thought that this might go well with the fennel rub on chicken. It did, but I didnt care much for the wine. Good acids, but odd (oxidized?) notes to the fruit, and rather short. Oops, have a couple more. B-/C+

2006 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling (375)
Opened as I didnt love the Vermentino. I like "06 CFE, but by now I should have learned how poorly Trimbach dry wines do in halves, unsure why. Advanced, petrol and oxidation, C+/B-

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 10:09:06 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> Thursday was grilled chicken breast, tomatillo salsa, pesto quinoa, salad, with the 2011 Steinmetz Dhroner Hofberg GD Riesling. OK, I confess I bought this from a closeout bin and actually thought it said GG. But it was dry, and it was tasty. Apple, pear, ginger, and floral notes.. Pretty big, pretty long. But drinks more like Wachau than Mosel. B/B+
>
> Friday I made dinner as Betsy and her sister came back from the beach, her BIL joined us, we had a nice dinner on the patio. Started with pate grandmere and the
> 2015 Pampelonne rose (Cotes de Provence).Pale, cherry and mineral, moderate acids. B/B-
>
> First we had lobster salad (citrus dressing, tarragon, arugula), wine was the 2009 F. Cotat Les Culs de Beaujeau Sancerre. 15%, maybe just slightly hot on its own, but comes across as balanced with the food. Citrus, floral, and earthy notes, full and long. B+/A-
>
> Main was skirt steak, squash, &caprese. Wine was the 1998 Leoville Poyferre. Red currant and plums, a little tobacco, not bad but with some rather tacky tannin. OK, but I almost never find Medoc 98s to have a wow factor like the Graves and RB wines. B
>
> Saturday we had carbonara (bucatini and guanciale), spatcokced chiclen with a fennel/herb/lemon rub, haricots verts, and salad.
>
> 2014 La Bettigna Vermentino (Colli di Luni)
> I like Ligurian whites and thought that this might go well with the fennel rub on chicken. It did, but I didnt care much for the wine. Good acids, but odd (oxidized?) notes to the fruit, and rather short. Oops, have a couple more. B-/C+
>
> 2006 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling (375)
> Opened as I didnt love the Vermentino. I like "06 CFE, but by now I should have learned how poorly Trimbach dry wines do in halves, unsure why. Advanced, petrol and oxidation, C+/B-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Thanks for the notes. I have the same issues with the 375's from Trimbach.

TN: Burgundy, Mosel, and Alsace DaleW Wine 5 18-05-2012 09:50 PM
TN: week of good wines (Provence, Burg, Loire, Mosel) DaleW Wine 1 30-05-2011 08:49 PM
TN: Alsace PG, Bandol blanc, and St Julien DaleW Wine 0 10-02-2010 02:11 AM
TN: Mosel Kab and St Julien DaleW Wine 4 17-03-2008 06:13 PM
Tuscany & Liguria Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 72 17-10-2007 06:39 PM