Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Labor Day weekend- Lots of wine, no tropical storm

So Hermine was doing her thing, and forecast for Sunday (when we had invited a crowd) was for tropical storm conditions. Then day before turned to dry but 40 mph winds. But we held out and made a decision Sun Am- forecast said cloudy gusts to 30, but while breezy it never got that windy, and sun stayed out. Pretty perfect day for backyard party.

Betsy made guacamole, a kale salad, and a load of fried chicken.
I grilled flank bulgogi, elotes, salmon, clams with garlic, sausages, hot dogs
Others brought gazpacho, roasted vegetables, bean salad, ribs, sesame noodles, lo mein, dessert and much more.

2015 Guion Bourgueil rose
Good acids, modest strawberry fruit, tangy grapefruit finish. B/B-

2015 Baudry Chinon rose
Fulle/riper than some years, but still tangy and tasty. Herby, strawberry and cherry, some citrus zest. B+

2014? Beringer White Zinfandel.
I think last time I tasted a Beringer WZ (10 or so years ago) I found it metallic or weird. This was actually pretty clean flavors. It tasted like cranberry cocktail that had been deacidified. C

1992 Stony Hill Chardonnay
Alive, honied pear fruit, a little wax, not very exciting. B-

2015 Pepiere Muscadet
Crisp, saline, tangy B++

2005 Huet Clos du Bourg€ť Vouvray Demi-Sec
I think this is in an awkward phase. Nothing wrong, but subdued and without much verve, mild apple and wool. The last half-pour from the bottle seemed to have more going on. But my real pour, B

2011 JJ Prum €śwehlener Sonnenuhr€ť Riesling Kabinett
Young but delicious. Citrus, green apple, herbs, a little CO2. B+

2007 Luneau-Papin €śL dOr€ť Muscadet
Great stuff underneath, but TCA has come to play.

2015 La Vieille Ferme blanc
Screwcapped, easy, good acids for Rhone, spice, honey, melon. Simple but good. B-

2013 Texier Chat Fou CdR
Easy, floral, peppery with good acids for CdR. B

1977 Torres Gran Corona Reserva Black Label
Good fruit remains, popular with crowd, but to me this is somewhat clunky and uninspiring. I just dont need Spanish CS (though I used to like these back in the day). Maybe if you needed a relatively cheap birthyear wine. B-

1970 Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon
WOTD for me. Black and red fruits, tobacco, lots of menthol/herbs. Pretty classic old school lighter styled (12% abv) CS. A-

2013 Meridion €śPierre Perrin€ť Cotes du Rhone
Raspberry, plump, herby. B-/C+

2007 Jadot €śLes Rugiens€ť Pommard
Like many "07s, showing well. Sappy red fruits, smoke, hint of mocha. Firm but suave tannins. B+

1985 Lejeune €śLes Argillieres€ť Pommard 1er
New to me. Godo acids, still some good red and black cherry fruit, fairly full-framed. Good showing (I think I liked more than guy who brought it). B+

2000 Texier St. Gervais Cotes du Rhone Village VV
Amazing, plastic cork but alive. Ripe raspberries, leather, not very complex but it gets drained.

OK, so not stunning wine day, but lots of fun and no hurricane

Labor Day assorted leftovers, with the 2006 La Garde (Pessac-Leognan). Black plums, cocoa, modern without being over the top, not bad. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Labor Day Weekend Baking Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 19 09-09-2009 12:51 AM
Labor Day weekend Rieslings Salil Wine 3 02-09-2008 08:59 PM
Labor day weekend roast results Omelet General Cooking 10 03-09-2007 07:24 PM
LAbor Day Weekend Meals [email protected] Barbecue 17 07-09-2006 11:53 PM