Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: wines in hot NY- '83 Pomerol, '14 Vouvray, '67 MSR BA, etc

Friday was scallops, wild rice, broccoli, and the 2014 Pinon Déronnières Vouvray. New bottling to me. Pretty classic sec-tendre to demi-sec Chenin, bright apple fruit framed with wax and wool. Nice floral notes to nose, fresh acids, good length. Could age well I think. B+/A-

Saturday Betsy was home and made pan- roasted spiced chicken with a mint/basil sauce. Wine was the 2015 Fresche rose. Bright floral and fresh, pretty cherry and watermelon fruit, fun little wine but maybe a little light for the dish. B

Sunday some friends came over for dinner. One brought appetizers- crackers with a couple of dips, a tapenade and sour-cream/chive

NV Furlan Prosecco
A bit sweet, apple cider and a lactic note, short. C/C+

Gerbais Cuvee de Reserve Brut Champagne
Crisp, bready, with pear and citrus zest, B/B+

First course was lobster, corn, and tomato salad; wine was the 2013 Francois Carillon Puligny-Montrachet. Pear and apple, some vanillin oak, balanced acids, nice finish. B/B+

Main was grilled leg of lamb, couscous, and green salad.

1983 Ch. LEvangile
Pretty much what Im looking for in mature/maturing Pomerol. Still some tannic structure, black plum and cassis, touches of mocha and underbrush. With air theres a more noticeable (pleasant) herbal note. Good length, lovely wine. A- .

2014 Gu*maro (Ribiera Sacra)
Crunchy red fruits, flowers, white pepper. Lively acids, bright and juicy. B+/B

Some nice cheese to finish, plus a dessert wine
1967 Schmitt Sohne Longuicher Herrenberg Beerenauslese
Mass market producer, poor to middling year. But actually plenty of life left, though pretty simple for BA. Apricot and orange marmalade, honied finish. Rather short. Alive but nothing special. B-

Monday got Betsys sister and BIL and carpooled to some mutual friends home in Irvington. Fun night, with vichyssoise, grilled steak (Thom stood out in a thunderstorm), and a beet/blueberry/greens salad. There was a somewhat fat red I never saw, plus 2 bottles at table

2013 Jaeger-Defaix Les Clous Rully 1er
Really popular, but again I find oak a little distracting. Sweet pear and a little butterscotch, overlay of vanilla. Good finish though. B

2011 Melini La Selvanella Chianti Classico Riserva
Black cherry, a little leather and flowers. Some real tannic backbone, moderate acids, tasty now but a couple years might do this some good. B+