Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wines in ME (and NY)- PNs, Malbec, Riesling, Chardonnay, etc

Couple I forgot from Sunday night group dinner

1999 Clos du Coutale Cahors
Still a bit of tannin, quiet black fruits, some smoked meat and forest floor. Good acids , but not very long. B

2013 Red Newt Dry Riesling
Theres just a hint of sugar, but pretty dry (unlike a couple other €śdry€ť FL wines that have been at least traditional kabinett). Pretty floral nose with hint of petrol, white pit fruits on palate. A little more acidity for crispness and this would be a pretty serious Riesling, but this is a bit soft. B/B-

Monday the quartet did a concert premiering pieces by the composer fellows of the festival, then everyone convened as more lobsters were boiled than Ive ever seen (40 or so for 20+ people).
I helped with cracking for the inexperienced or squeamish, and managed to sample some wines:

2013 Baileyana €śFirepeak€ť Pinot Noir
Black cherry, cocoa, a distinct candied note I dont care for. B-/C+
2014 Barraud €śAlliance€ť Pouilly-Fuisse
Fuller style of Macon but with good crispness, hint of oak, good length. B+/B

2009 Alberdi Rioja Reserva
Raspberry and cherry, spicy, but a little hot. B-

Tuesday was the main Vinalhaven concert, afterwards we met downtown for dinner (Sichaun tofu was main). I had a glass of the 2015 Dominique & Janine Crochet Sancerre, showed just as it did Sunday (solid but unexceptional).

Wednesday we took ferry back to mainland, they had concert that evening in Belfast in a very cool art center (Waterfall Arts). . Reception had cheese and wine, mostly supermarket stuff and more Alberdi. I was driving Betsy to Portland afterwards but took a small sip of a Mezzacorona Pinot Grigio and was shocked to find it quite drinkable- sweet pear, good acids. Not very long or complex, but in the world of $12/mag supermarket wines a winner. B-

I left Portland at 3 AM to beat traffic and get to work Thursday. That night I was beat, picked up a supermarket rotisserie chicken (moist but too salty as usual), had with arugula salad and pasta with pesto. Wine was the 2014 Enderle and Moll €śLiason€ť PN. Nose of flowers and cranberry, with a little exotic touch of sandalwood. Pretty red fruits- crunchy raspberry and cherry. Light tannin, lively acids, good stuff. A-/B+