Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Salil sendoff- '81, '86, '59 claret plus CdP, Mosel, Champagne, etc

A little going away event for Salil got moved to my place rather than city, easier on a work night. We had baba ganoush, lamb, stuffed squash blossoms, salad, squash, smoked trout ( I missed Betsy, she would have done a better job with the blossoms and wouldnt have overdressed salad).
Salil brought chicken and dal, Cathleen and Steve brought a nice cheese assortment.
Special thanks to Steve for his grilled help as I struggled to get stuff together (no Betsy and a work day meant I was a bit behind)

On the patio

2009 Colet Navazos
A sparkling wine produced in a flor environment, but didnt remind me of sherry. Nice complex yeasty nose, simpler on palate with apples and citrus zest. B

1985 Moet & Chandon Dom Perignon
I really thought this was teetering on the edge when first opened, but it revived a bit. This particular bottle tasted more like it was from 70s, but experienced people thought it was the bottle. It actually got better when revisited after a couple hours, powerful style with lovely bready/nutty finish. B+/B

1989 Trimbach Gewurztraminer
I blinded group- Salil got Alsace, John Gewurz and Trimbach on first guesses, but they assumed the SdR, everyone was surprised there was so much life in a yellow label at 27. Lychee, ginger, good acid for Gewurz. B

Back to table

1971 Sterling Pinot Noir
Ive had some good bottles of this, but not this one (fill was fairly low and cork a little sunken). Dead, dead, is no more, bereft of life, this is an ex-pinot C-

1986 Ch. L Arrosee
Nice showing like last week. Pretty, sweet black plums with cigarbox and coffee. Gets a little leafy in a nice way. A-/B+

1986 Ch Pichon Lalande
A little tight at first, showing that "86 Medoc masculine side , opens nicely towards end, cassis with pencil shavings, tobacco, and earth. A-/B+

1981 Ch. Pichon Lalande
Drinking well if you dont mind a touch of barnyard.Good dark fruits, a pointe, good finish. B+

1959 Ch. Talbot
Thanks Salil. Nice truffly/mushroomy note on nose, fresh black fruit, nice acidic balance. Long and full, holds up well over couple hours. A-

1990 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
This a nice ripe mature CdP, but theres a bit of VA, Fleshy, spice, red fruited, but a little disjointed. Maybe a teeny bit off? B

1993 Taittinger Comtes des Champagnes
I dont know much about "93 Champagne but maybe I should learn. Lovely BdB, fine mousse, citrus and chalk, elegant. A-

2001 JJ Christoffel Urziger Wurzgarten Spatlese
Couldnt have a Salil event without Riesling. Vibrant acids, rich spicy fruits, beautiful tension. Full and very long. I so love 2001 Mosel. A-

Good way to send off Salil to the Midwest