Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2002 Caymus SS (3L)

We had a gathering of friends at our farm this past weekend so I grilled a venison tenderloin from last fall hunt and a Wagu #4 Beef tenderloin and opened a 3 liter of Caymus SS that I bought from the winery on release. I typically open large format bottles and pour them into a magnum decanter to make service easier. The wine was still quite dark purple in the glass. The nose was a little tight at first but opened quickly showing cassis, black coffee,smoke with a bit of mint and a slight stemmy note. Smooth and supple on the palate the original concentration on release had faded a bit but the wine was delicious and balanced. Blackberry, currants, black pepper and mint. Pretty nice showing for a wine that never disappoints.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:26:28 PM UTC+2, Bi!! wrote:
> We had a gathering of friends at our farm this past weekend so I grilled a venison tenderloin from last fall hunt and a Wagu #4 Beef tenderloin and opened a 3 liter of Caymus SS that I bought from the winery on release. I

I dont know Caymus, but it sounded familiar, so I looked it up. Turns out one of my cellartracker feed about beringers private reserve mentioned it, "ahead of both the 2005 and 2006 Caymus Special selections but behind the continuum and the scarecrow. ", which when I read it, sounded like an encrypted message.
On top of that I notice the address is "Conn creek rd." Which is familiar words, since Conn Creek Cab Sauv. is a pretty good wine.
Turns out also that Caymus SS is available in DK for 190$. and their normal cab sauv. is 120$. Its over my general range.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 3:45:13 PM UTC-4, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:26:28 PM UTC+2, Bi!! wrote:
> > We had a gathering of friends at our farm this past weekend so I grilled a venison tenderloin from last fall hunt and a Wagu #4 Beef tenderloin and opened a 3 liter of Caymus SS that I bought from the winery on release. I

> I dont know Caymus, but it sounded familiar, so I looked it up. Turns out one of my cellartracker feed about beringers private reserve mentioned it, "ahead of both the 2005 and 2006 Caymus Special selections but behind the continuum and the scarecrow. ", which when I read it, sounded like an encrypted message.
> On top of that I notice the address is "Conn creek rd." Which is familiar words, since Conn Creek Cab Sauv. is a pretty good wine.
> Turns out also that Caymus SS is available in DK for 190$. and their normal cab sauv. is 120$. Its over my general range.

Caymus is an iconic Napa Valley winery well known to the American wine aficionado's since the 1970's. Frankly I don't think Continuum or Scarecrow come close to Caymus except perhaps in price but that's just my opinion.

TN: 4 2002 Burgs, 4 2002 Bdx, plus a Huet and a Collin bubbly DaleW Wine 0 03-03-2017 09:24 PM
2002 Caymus SS Napa Cabernet Bi!! Wine 3 09-06-2015 01:45 PM
1997 Caymus SS 2002 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill Bi!! Wine 0 08-05-2011 10:05 PM
2004 Caymus SS Bi!! Wine 3 30-07-2007 12:47 PM
TN: 2002 Telegramme (Brunier), 2002 Las Rocas Garnacha Chris Sprague Wine 3 26-02-2005 10:18 PM