FoodBanter.com

-   -   Disappointing wine weekend, but anyway nice week with Austrian wines. (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/437150-disappointing-wine-weekend-but.html)

Michael Nielsen[_4_] 19-06-2016 09:49 PM

Disappointing wine weekend, but anyway nice week with Austrian wines.

Austria

I was at a hyperspectral imainging conference in Graz and has some nice wines. even the "conference dinner" wine at the parliament was decent.

2008 Zweigelt barrigue, Styria, Austria *****

I cant really find more info about the wine I had. it was a restaurant in Graz that had a wine store attached, where we could go pick a wine and pay 10e corkage fee. it was 20euro before corkage.
I had zweigelt barrique before from burgenland and was quite pleased. This was also great. nice tannins, dense black fruits, tobacco.

2013 Big John Cuvee Reserve, Scheiblhofer, burgenland, austria *****

Lesser than the zweigelt, but quite Bordeaux like body, balance and feel. fresh acids, dark fruits, fine tannins, bloody fatness. it was 13 euro at the graz airport. too bad it would probably be 30euro in Denmark.

----
disappointing weekend wines:

2012 Tuscany Poggio Madiola Mazzei *

spat it out and fridged it for cooking.
My wife says " it tastes like vomit!"

2011 Toro Madremia *

Rum, condensed sirup, coconut, resin. oak juice. never thought Id say that. I thought I couldnt get enough oak. Maybe my taste moved. My wife liked it so I forced her to drink it, as it was too expensive to toss (27 euro). The woman in the store spoke well of it " its my brothers favourite wine, best in the world". lol, he needs to taste better wines.

2012 Selection historica crianza Bordon Rioja **

given the failed Toro I tried this. I nomrally like Bordon. This was cheap , thin, green. I think they had leftovers and needed to do something with it and decided for a marketing trick. my wife was ok with it, but it was uninteresting.

2009 Bordon rioja reserva ****

After opening 3 failed wines this weekend I went for the safe choice. I noted it reminds a bit of the toro but with much better balance, lots of acid and texture. my wife made the "lemon" face at it. she normally loves it, but after toro its "harsh".

Michael Nielsen[_4_] 19-06-2016 09:56 PM

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 10:49:46 PM UTC+2, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> Austria

come to think about it, I dont think I ever had a bad Austrian wine. (red)